Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deeds.....

...sometimes carry their own rewards.

Yesterday, I rolled the bike up the highway about 80 miles and visited Tim White, a GSR member. His wife had auctioned a gauge set on e-bay, which I won. I got the necessary parts, and a bonus exhaust.

That made it a pretty good day, but it got better. Had to leave Tim and head back to a park west of Toronto, where I was to meet a man I had not seen for several years. He used to work with a company we dealt with, and left work due to Parkinson?s disease progression.

I used to help him get through a few days when his pain was intense. That was good for part of a day, but his life worsened as the disease progressed, and he had to retire.

A few weeks ago another employee at the company said Oswald was taking part in a ?Walk for Parkinson?s? and was asking for pledges. Apparently he had been doing it for several years.

I gave her some money, and asked her to tell Oswald I would be there when the walk started, to give hin a boost.

Yesterday, I waited at the registry desk for him to show up. Some people were obviously determined to get through the day, and it seemed many of them were also suffering from the disease. Oswald was quite surprised to see me at the registry desk, but also quite pleased. We went off to a bench, where I met his family for the first time, while giving him his ?boost? for the walk.

Ah, well...I am here......why not go along with him..?

There are two walks, one for those who are not doing too well, of 2 kilometre distance, and a longer one of 8 km for those in better shape..

A bit of exercise for the group, promoted by a fitness guru, then off we went.

This was a whole new experience for me. I knew of what Oswald had been going through, from having seen it in the office, but not what happened to him in the several years since then.

The muscle spasms and odd-looking movements he says happen frequently had stopped while we were at the bench, and he walked right along with me, at a good pace. A short distance out there was a split in the paths, with a man holding a sign, and saying the short walk is behind him, and the long walk down the slope and to the left.

We went down the slope, and along the path, talking as we went.

The pace slowed, as the strain caught up to Oswald, and we stopped for a rest. Another pain treatment, and we continued on.. Another rest, and another, but we were almost half-way through. He was having a rough time, so we walked back a bit where a bench was waiting, and had a drink of water. His family, (wife, two daughters and their husband and boyfriend) were returning.

He decided it was time to return, so, another treatment, and we headed back, behind the family.

No rests on his part, until we came back to the rise between the paths. He climbed the stairs, saying this was easier than the slope. At the top we came to the original path, and met a man and his wife who were still working on the return trip from the 2km walk. He is in a later stage than Oswald, and can barely move, needing the help of a walker to support him, while dragging one foot forward on the toes a few inches, then the other. V E R Y determined.

As we went past the man, and his wife, Oswald told me this is how he oftends himself.....the upper body works fairly well, but his feet often feel like there were magnets under him, and his feet won't respond. He also said that he usually does only the short walk, as the pain is too great, and in the other years he had trouble doing the 2 kilometres.

Oswald had never seen the GK, and wanted to see what it looked like. He used to ride a 150cc in India, and carried his family on it! The biggest machine he had ever driven was 200cc, many years before. He said riding even a bicycle now was out of the question, due to his balance failures, which I had seen while walking..

We walked the extra distance to the parking lot, and he climbed aboard the bike. Sitting on the GK was an experience in size, as this was the first big bike he had sat on. I had no spare helmet, so a ride was not possible, but his smile showed he was happy with just getting aboard. .

I got a phone call this morning, at the office. Oswald had called Anne, and said he had never been more pleased than he had been to have me with him yesterday.

Apparently he had been experiencing problems before getting to the event, and was concerned as to whether he could do it, even though he was planning to do the short walk. This was no little concern, as he had been preparing for this walk for months, and it is a major event in his year.

The good part....including the extra trip to see the GK, Oswald had managed to walk with me for the full distance of the long walk, and a bit more.....more than 7km, close to 8.

This was more than three times the distance he had been able to do in other years, and he did it well. He is SO proud of that.

I am proud too.....of Oswald, and his very great courage.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Nice story!
    You can be proud of yourself too. It's wonderful to give your time to make someones life a little better. Oswald will always remember his walk with you and you'll always get a good feeling inside whenever you think of your walk together. He'll remember the feel of that bike too.
    Thanks for sharing!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

There you go again Ron...now I have to admire you even more...gezzz! You're a good man.

Hap

Comment

Excellent post! A nice counterpoint to some of the rant threads. These kinds of stories help to keep things in perspective. Thanks...

Comment

Thanks for sharing Ron.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give."
          Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Very nice, thanks Ron.

Comment

Very nice story Ron.

Deb and i have a dear friend (Danny) with Prader Willy Syndrome (sp) he's sharp as a tak and it is a joy to spend time with him.

We invite him over when his health permits, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, he has his favourite supper "Lasagna" and 2 non achoholic beers, he's in heaven

It great being around him, and seeing how much enjoyment he gets
              out of a simple visit with us and a sleep over. 8)

Comment

Sounds like a great day for both of you Ron. So, when does Oswald get his ride on the GK?
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Excellent question, Sandy.

Hopefully, next weekend. It will be Thanksgiving here (and in BC ) so there may be a choice of days. We have rain forecast for Saturday, but I am fully committed to working at home for the whole weekend, and won't get out at all.
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Excellent Ron! Let us know if he did in fact get to ride it then

Comment

I was having a bad morning. That turned it around for me. Thanks

Comment

Dad,

Awesome story!! What else can I say other than knowing how you can help with pain treatment, I am not surprised. Please take pics when you get Oswald out for that ride!

Love,
                        Tam

Comment

Good Job Ron!! He will never forget your kindness and time!!! 8)

Comment

I must be becoming an old fuddy duddy because I got misty on that one. A great story and proves there are still good people like you Ron. An old dear friend of mine is fading fast from cancer and I'm going through a similar experience. We need more caring people like you Ron. Bill

Comment

It's not GS-related, but last night I was the recipient of a very Good Deed. I live in a small town, we went out for dinner, and my wallet fell out of my pocket as I got out of the car. Leaving the restaurant, I realized my wallet was missing.
                              SH%T!!! I HATE that feeling!!! Searched the restaurant, the street, the place we parked the car, no luck. Drove home to see if I left it there, no luck. It's dusk, so I grab a flashlight and we head back to town for a serious search.

I'm poking through the leaves in the gutter where we parked...feeling the miserable dread this situation brings, when a car zips into 'our' parking spot. Driver eyes me ("Why is he looking in the street with a flashlight?"), I eye the driver. Driver pops out, young kid about 20, says "Are you looking for this?" He's holding my wallet, then hands it back to me. "I tried to call, but your number is unlisted. I'm sorry. I thought I might see you looking for it."

Unreal relief!!! I thank him profusely, shake his hand forever, and tell him he's a Good Man. I forget to ask him his name, or offer a reward. On the way home, I verbally wish him Good Things, and wish I'd offered him something. I check my wallet, I had about 12 bucks, it's gone. Whether someone grabbed the cash and tossed the wallet or if he took it, I'm totally cool with it. The mere fact that I got it back - especially the way it played out - at least temporarily restored my faith in the inherent goodness of people.

My wife suggested I "Pay It Forward": preserve the Karma chain by offering assistance, unsolicited, to someone soon. I think that's verrrry good advice. The world is a tough place these days, and the negative campaign ads are wearing me down and eroding my confidence. True Peace hangs in the balance of the way we treat each other.

Then, I stumble upon this thread. Please read it, if you haven't already.

Absolutely sickeneing how some people treat others. There is a way YOU can help this friend of GSR, described on page 6. I plan on doing so, and I urge and hope all who see this to please do the same. I'm essentially a peaceful, nonviolent person. But I must confess to a dark side which conjures images...of finding a nice piece of hickory...and taking a trip to Sedona...

Sorry for the long post; Thanks for reading it.
                              Peace,
                              Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X