Things I love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I love...

I thought that I'd post something to contrast the hate, and also since I'm a new rider, see what you all (y'all) like to do ...

#1: Theres 1 particular road going 4km up whistlers mtn. (jasper, alberta), that has a lot of nice curves and twisties. My favourite thing to do on that road though, is once getting to the top, riding down in neutral with the bike off! weeeeeeeeeeeee! once it gets up to 90kmph I have to start the brakes.....

#2: Shifing up into 2nd or 3rd at 2500, and then opening the throttle to hear that low rumble grow into 7000(sometimes a wee bit more rpms of power carried through until 5th.

#3: Cruising around in no particular hurry, in the low rpms, so you can barely heear me..

How bout you guys?

Riding to work is always better than driving.

There aren't a lot of curves here in Indiana, but I can always find some variation in my route to make it worthwhile. My commute is 65 miles by the shortest route (Lafayette to Indianapolis).

For some reason, I especially enjoy riding when it's cold and/or raining and I'm the only motorcyclist out there. It's something about triumph over adversity, along with the satisfaction of choosing the correct riding gear for the conditions and developing the skills to safely get where I'm going.

I also take pride in how well my bike runs and how reliable it is. I've had to disassemble every part of the bike at some point, and I learned a lot along the way. But there's a special pride with each passing mile when you've had your hands on every single nut and bolt.

I also enjoy improving my riding skills and learning something on every ride.

I also LOVE riding smooth and riding FAST! :twisted: :twisted: That big old GS850 might need a bath, but we've surprised a lot of squids and feathered a lot of tires clear out to the edges. :twisted: :twisted:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well I've only been riding for a little over a month, so maybe this will wear off, but what I love is when I get on my baby and just go. The combination of wind, speed, concentration and mind clearingness will take away any bad mood or anything that was bothering me. So... in short, I love my riding fixes?

Comment

Getting the front wheel up just due to the application of throttle. :twisted:
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by murmlicious
          Well I've only been riding for a little over a month, so maybe this will wear off, but what I love is when I get on my baby and just go. The combination of wind, speed, concentration and mind clearingness will take away any bad mood or anything that was bothering me. So... in short, I love my riding fixes?
          Twenty years later and that feeling is still there!!!
          Dink

Comment

Blast! you stole my idea. I had made my "Things I hate" list because a variance of some of the things on my list happened on my daily commute.

Things I love...

#1. Not having to think about much of anything else. Total concentration on what I'm doing.

#2. Blowing that ricer off the line and through the gears on an isolated road.

#3. The comraderie of all the riders I see on my commute. A Vstrom, an R6, a Goldwing, and a beemer I see everyday and we wave to each other every day.

#4. I don't have much in the way of twisties on the way to work, but I enjoy greatly the little I do have.

#5. My daily commute, heck I haven't touched my car in a little over 4 weeks.

#6. I have self confidence issues. Riding for me is a great boost to my confidence and ego. I get to do something not everyone else can. I can ride when I choose to, other people recognize this and give a little wave or thumbs up as I pass. I almost can't describe how that makes me feel inside.

Comment

Re: Things I love...

Originally posted by Poot
              I thought that I'd post something to contrast the hate, and also since I'm a new rider, see what you all (y'all) like to do ...

#1: Theres 1 particular road going 4km up whistlers mtn. (jasper, alberta), that has a lot of nice curves and twisties. My favourite thing to do on that road though, is once getting to the top, riding down in neutral with the bike off! weeeeeeeeeeeee! once it gets up to 90kmph I have to start the brakes.....

#2: Shifing up into 2nd or 3rd at 2500, and then opening the throttle to hear that low rumble grow into 7000(sometimes a wee bit more rpms of power carried through until 5th.

#3: Cruising around in no particular hurry, in the low rpms, so you can barely heear me..

How bout you guys?
              #4: Riding with one of my daughters until we get hungry, stopping and grabbing a bite to eat, laughing and cutting up, and just enjoying their company. (Bad side: knowing that someday it will end, they will be out on their own )

Hap

Comment

I love a warm summer night and a ride through the city. I get a little scared of ripping around twisties at night, so if I'm desperate for a night ride, I really like the big city. I'm always faster than the cars stop light to stop light, and the low rumble of my bikes exhaust note bouncing off the buildings is awesome.

I love the commute home from work. For everyone else at work, thier relaxation for the days end doesn't come until they get home. For me, the second I get out of work I'm on the bike and I'm in heaven. Rarely do I not take the long way home.

I love taking a break during a ride almost as much as the riding itslef. Sometimes it's in a small town off the beaten path, sometimes it is right off the side of the road itself. Everyone who drives by knows I'm a motorcyclist and I like that feeling.

I love motorcycling.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Get up with the roosters on a sunny Saturday. Cool, humid air - optimum internal combustion conditions...

Kiss the sleeping wife. Bolt down a cuppa joe and some cereal.
                  Clean faceshield, pre-flight bike, leathers on, out the door. Alone.

The world feels newborn. Tingling anticipation en route to the 'secret spot'...best twisties in the county.
                  In two hours, this same road will be plugged with squids, cruisers, RV's, cages, bicyclists...but not now.

Calm down, breathe deep. Relax.
                  Perform a clean, smooth, FAST run through...soak in the Zen...then turn around and run back through...maybe go for three...or four...?

Shining, adrenalized, you exit the area. You pass a rider inbound - alone.
                  A long thumbs-up, a nod; they return the gestures. The Secret is shared. Inwardly wish them a good, safe run.

Stop for coffee and a snack.
                  Then back to the hangar. Feel the heat in the tires. Lube the hot chain.

Perhaps the wife is still dozing. Another kiss, a cuddle; bring her some coffee.

I Love That.

Ted

Comment

Re: Things I love...

The time comes quickly, like a bolt of lightning. At least I have my grandaughter

#4: Riding with one of my daughters until we get hungry, stopping and grabbing a bite to eat, laughing and cutting up, and just enjoying their company. (Bad side: knowing that someday it will end, they will be out on their own )

Hap[/quote]

Comment

Time spent with my children.
                      Time spent with my wife when she has time to spend with me.
                      Riding.
                      Reading and posting on the GSR.
                      Cheese :mrgreen:

Comment

Things that I LOVE...Tom T. Hall songs...just kidding :P Spending time with my two boys (2 and 7 yrs old) on their dirt bikes. I love sitting on the trailer with my EXTREMELY supportive wife and we watch the boys navigate their way around the farm/track and give instructions. I LOVE spending time in my shop working on motorcycles by myself or letting the boys try some "hands on" wrenching. I LOVE my EXTREMELY supportive wife (I hope that she reads this, so I can get points) that has never experienced things that GO :twisted: !! She has trusted me fully, especially when the 2 yrs old thought he could follow up his older brother onto the trailer/ramp with his dirt bike with outrigger wheels and fell off. Do not worry he was not hurt, but he still wants to try it again. I LOVE growing up around motorcycles and remembering the "good ole days". I LOVE riding my 1980 Suzuki GS1100E around to bike shops and doing "work bench" racing. I LOVE when I get stopped for a break on the bike and people gather around and tell me stories of when they used to own a "bike just like that". I LOVE when I bought the 1100e that this was the same bike that my Dad bought in 1980 and he got to take my oldest son for a ride (simular to when I was a boy) and that this carrys over to the next generation. I LOVE having a passion for this sport, hobby, or in my case a "way of life".

Comment

I could go on, but kudos to Poot for his "bring the love" philosophy!

Comment

Working...
                          X