Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tam's Great Adventure - I added pics!

PART ONE

I may not ride a GS but I felt this story belonged in this forum seeing as without this wonderful site and the amazing people I have met here, well, this story just wouldn?t have been.

On Thursday, Sept. 23/04 I finished moving out of my house. Late in the afternoon, I jumped on my Triumph (the Strumpet!), put the key in the ignition and fired her up. The engine purred sweetly as I slid her into gear and pulled out of my driveway for the last time. Here begins my adventure.

The first leg took me to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The 228km/138 mile ride began perfectly. However, as the sun set, the temperature plummeted. By the time I arrived in Yarmouth it was ?1C/30F?.brrr! I must have resembled a walrus as I checked into the hotel as I was wearing three sweaters, a vest and my Joe Rocket (with liner)! If it weren?t for the fact I could see my fingers and knees I may well have doubted their very existence.

Friday, 7:30AM AST, found me at the ferry terminal for the Scotia Prince. Only one other rider was on this trip, a Hardley Davidson rider and his wife from Boston, Mass. We shared a bit of small talk as we waited seeing as we were the last two to board the ship at 8:45AM. 9AM, the engines fired up, the loading dock raised and the whistle blew as we set sail.

The 11-hour ride was pleasant. I personally sighted 4 pods of whales (I am sure there were more), numerous harbour seals and dolphins. However, I could have done without the two stewards that took far to great an interest in my well being. 8O Fortunately there was a lovely couple on board to ?rescue? me by inviting me to spend my trip in their company. Luke was waiting for me just beyond the gate once I docked in Portland, Maine. Well, poor Luke?s wait would be longer than anticipated as US Customs questioned me at length. Finally, I rode through the gate and Luke and I set off on the one hour ride to his home.

Stephanie, Luke?s wife, greeted me warmly (I adore this lovely lady!) when I arrived. I was informed that Keith, their eldest son would be greatly disappointed if he didn?t see me. Seeing as we would be leaving before the kids woke up, I went upstairs with Luke to wake him with hugs, kisses and tickles! I loved every second of it!

Saturday morning, Luke and I set off early riding the 2 to 2 ? hours to Rumney, New Hampshire. The first half of the ride was foggy but by the time we reached the Kangamangus Pass it had pretty much burned off. Imagine how great it felt starting my day with and east to west ride across the Kangamangus! Awesome! :P

We were a little late but did arrive in Rumney before everyone gave up on us. One of the first things I heard was Keith asking me how I felt to be back with my ten big brothers. My response? GREAT After greeting most everyone with hugs (I really missed you guys!) we set off. Yahoo...I get to ride the Kangamangus twice in one day!!!

I am not the most experienced rider yet no one has ever commented on it other than to offer encouragement, helpful riding advice and praise. I am in awe of the riding ability some of these boys exhibit. Even as I travelled at 136 kmh/85 mph I was falling behind. However, every turn and intersection found everyone graciously waiting for me. Unlike my last ride through the White Mountains, I did not keep them waiting nearly as long this time!

I loved the little lake and waterfall. What a wonderful first stop! What can I say about lunch? Well, the turkey subs were great! As for everyone else?s meal, you?ll have to ask them! :roll:

We also passed through two quaint covered bridges. This is my first time through such on a bike. Yet another experience to add to my repertoire of memories.

Once in Colebrook, N.H. we stopped at the monastery. Here we visited the Rider?s Memorial. This is a beautiful monument commemorating all those riders that have ridden their last and where, once a year, the blessing of the bikes takes place.

Just down the road we checked into out hotel. While sorting out our rooms, we met the new owner of the hotel who we quickly surmised had spent some time sampling the wares of the adjacent bar!

I enjoyed my evening. Oh, honest guys I really haven?t played pool in ten years!! I wasn?t hustling you! After a couple of drinks, I know it was obvious I am being truthful (I was lucky to hit the cue ball!). By the way, Andy, for a big guy, I am grateful you have a small snore!!!!

Sunday morning saw me breaking off from the group as they continued their ride through N.H. I left, after numerous hugs goodbye, for New York. You guys are the greatest!!

END OF PART ONE

__________________________________________________ ___________

PART TWO

Leaving Colebrook, N.H. I took Route 3 South, stopping in Lancaster for breakfast. From there I connected with Rte 2 West. What a nice ride with lots of twisties, minimal traffic and a smooth road surface. Practising the advice I received about how to better navigate my turns, I thoroughly enjoyed this leg of my journey,

I stopped in St. Johnsbury at the Dunkin? Donuts. Seven cars and, of course myself, occupied the parking lot. On one side of me was a parked a couple from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Then the owners of the vehicle on the other side of me stated they were from New Brunswick, Canada (next to N.S.). Imagine my great surprise when both women, and neither husband, revealed they were also riders!

Turning onto I 91 I travelled through the mountains along the New Hampshire/Vermont border. The leaves are just starting to turn showing hints of the magnificent crimson, orange and gold colours that will soon overtake the landscape. I cut up Rte 89 Vermont one exit to Rte 4. Route 4 twists and turns through the top of the Green Mountains. This would have been a terrific ride but for the heavy traffic. Nonetheless, riding through Quechee Gorge provided stunning scenery.

Note - Keith, in Woodstock, Vt. is a beautifully restored covered bridge I know you and Sharon would love!

Heading across Rte. 149 I rode into New York State and picked up I87 south. Upon stopping in Saratoga Springs I was astounded by the 200 or more bikes that lined the street downtown! I stopped to ask if there was a rally or some other event that day only to learn this was a typical Sunday afternoon here! Amazing!

Picking up I87 yet again, I rode down to Rte. 7 then to Rte. 890. From here, I don?t know what I did wrong but next thing you know I was on the NY Thruway headed for New York City! (Must have been a blonde moment!). Finally, after asking for directions, I found my way back to the outskirts of Albany and some much needed rest!

On Monday, Butch and I spent 5 hours riding through the Catskills. Skip, I know you two have been trying to get together for a ride. You HAVE to ride the Catskills!! There aren?t enough adjectives to describe neither the roads nor the scenery! I am uncertain as to exactly what roads we travelled. We stopped at a state park that overlooked Albany, the Hyuck Nature Preserve (and waterfall) and the Keyser Kill Falls (stunning!).

At one point, Butch and I swapped bikes (the GS is still under repair from the accident so he was riding is ZRX) for a few miles. Skip, as you know, this is the twin to your bike. I now have a better understanding of how you take those turns at the speeds you do! The ZRX is sooo much more compact than my ?Strumpet? and corners beautifully. It feels so tiny next to my baby! I also was surprised at the sensitivity of the throttle as I launched (yes, ?launched? is accurate!) myself into gear! Woohoo!!

We stopped at friends of Butch?s house in the Catskills for dinner. It was here I heard the call of the katydid for the first time in my life?yet another memory! After watching the most beautiful sunset against a rising harvest moon, John and Butch broke out their guitars and entertained us with some great music! A loved every second of it!

Tuesday morning brought the edge of now tropical storm Ivan with it. Fortunately the rain was only light to moderate. No worry, I was warm and dry in my raingear. Cruising up the Northway the rain gave way to just ominous looking clouds as I entered the Adirondacks. I was well aware these magnificent mountains cover a huge span was nonetheless surprised by the sign I passed stating 6 million acres was parkland.
    Although I averaged 140kmh/87mph, I pulled into a couple of rest stops just to admire the views. Upstate New York took me by surprise for it is truly beautiful!

Eventually I reached Champlain and crossed into Quebec, Canada. Ahh, the sun is finally peeking through the clouds!! I rode up to Montreal and decided to tour downtown. Anyone who has ever been to Montreal will know that that city planners have had a difficult time dealing with the growth of a city constructed on a small island. As a result, the roadways resemble something similar to a game of pick-up sticks! Add to this the aggressive driving nature Montrealers are infamous for. I have driven through the city numerous times by cage, but by bike, wow, I just had to!! I must admit that navigating these streets on two wheels is much more fun!!

Departing Montreal, I picked up the Highway 20 West, which becomes Highway 401 at the Ontario border. Arriving in Cornwall, I met up with one of my closest friends, Dawn. She had driven 4 hours to see me and surprised me by bringing her two boys, Tanner (6) and Mason (4)! Fantastic!

Wednesday was not a day spent riding but a day spent with Dawn and the kids. A visit to an apple orchard, a stroll through a local conservation area, tickle fights with the boys in the park and a visit to Dairy Queen made for an incredible day! I must add, that while at Dairy Queen, a lovely older gentleman approached me to inquire about the Trumpy. This happens to me often with questions regarding the bike and expressions of surprise that Triumph still manufactures bikes. If only I had a dollar for every time I have been regaled with tales from those who owned Bonnevilles etc. back in the 50?s! It was now late in the afternoon, so I opted to spend another night in Ontario and start out bright and early the next morning.

Before setting out Thursday I stopped for gas. While fuelling a gentleman owning a Ducati 999 began chatting to me. It seems he was also enjoying a weeklong adventure. There is no greater freedom than to be out on a bike! From there I hopped on the Trans Canada Highway travelling east. After entering Quebec, I chose to circumvent Montreal by taking Hwy. 10 to Hwy 30 looping back onto the Trans Canada the other side of Montreal. Once past the city, I averaged 150kmh/95mph for the next couple of hours. I then left the main road to ride around a couple of small communities. I believe I was somewhere near Joly when I stopped for and extended lunch. Yet again on the Trans Canada I neared Quebec City. The weather was beautiful, the sun shining; I decided another detour was in order. I crossed the St Lawrence River and looped around the city. I had hoped to spend more time exploring this place rich is history but found the day growing long after getting stuck in traffic. Alas, I had to cross the river yet again and continue my journey east.

For many years Quebec has had a well-deserved reputation for having the worst roads in Canada. The past couple of years have seen a remarkable improvement with millions of dollars invested in resurfacing. This has resulted in wonderfully smooth easy riding. Several times I glanced at my speedometer to see I was exceeding 170kmh/ 110mph! Keep in mind the posted speed limit is 100 kmh/60mph. Needless to say it was only a matter of time before I sailed right into a radar trap. Instinctively, I pulled in the clutch and geared down but by then it was too late! As I raced past his roof lights were switched on and he pulled out behind me. I will never know why but then suddenly he dropped back and turned off his lights. My best guess is he saw the pink fanny pack and light purple knapsack strapped to my bike and decided to give me a break (the advantages of being female!!). I counted my blessings and continued?at 120kmh/75mph!

Well, as I said, the roads are like glass. In a few short miles, my speed had begun to creep back up. Some 80 km/50 miles further on I passed yet another speed trap. Fortunately, I had been temporarily slowed by another motorist and had just started to accelerate at the time. I passed the officer at about 145 kmh/90mph but he was uninterested. WHEW!!!

By the time I reached Riviere du Loup you would think I would have learned my lesson. I was cruising well in excess of the posted speed limit yet again. A transport pulled into my lane causing me to slow down. Not 100 metres/100 yards ahead, you guessed it, another radar trap! Lady luck was definitely on my side today!

By now the sun had reached the horizon behind me and the air was cooling rapidly. I continued for another 200 km/125 miles just beyond Edmunston, New Brunswick. The temperature was 5C/42F as I parked the bike.

Friday had arrived, as had the final leg of my trip. How I dreaded this day. I would love to continue riding but commitments and responsibilities do not cease to exist. I climbed on the bike, started it up and let it rumble beneath me for a few minutes as I reflected upon the last week. As I sat there, elbow on my gas tank, chin in hand I looked around me and realized how fortunate I was to have such a wonderful machine. There are no words to describe the freedom of spirit and mind one achieves from riding. Shortly, I popped the clutch and began the trip home.

I rode south through New Brunswick stopping in Hartford, the site of the world?s largest covered bridge (Keith, remember I told you about this one? Yes, I took pictures for you!). Later on I decided I would opt for the St. John to Digby ferry. A brief stop in Fredericton revealed I did not have a great deal of time if I wished to catch the 4:45pm boat (the next wasn?t until Saturday). Like Quebec, New Brunswick has beautiful roads to ride. There are few straight lines but rather a series of long sweeping bends through peaks and valleys. This provides what can be a relaxing, easy ride, but I had a ferry to catch!

Those lovely sweeping bends are really quite fun when travelling at 190 kmh/118mph to 200kmh/125mph! (I hope my dad isn?t reading this!!!! ) I maintained these speeds for well over an hour, arriving at the ferry terminal with time to spare. Three hours later we docked in Digby. The ride from here is just over an hour to my new home. So ends my adventure.

THE END

As I sit here typing this I smile. This has been a truly awesome trip! I spent a great deal of time in thought as I rode, admiring the beauty around me, the feel of the air racing past me, the utter sense of freedom. Being a woman, this trip meant taking a chance. I travelled alone, meeting with people, some of which I had not previously met (except through GSR) to ride with, and covered 3200 km/2000 miles mostly alone through two countries. For years I have dreamed of being adventurous but too afraid to actually do something daring. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!!!!! Had I not had the bike, odds are I would never have even entertained the possibility of such a trip. Riding had freed my soul by allowing me to take a chance, to test my limits and just be. Oh, how I love to ride!

Great story Tam

Sounds like you had a excellent trip 8)

Comment

Fantastic story, fantastic trip, well done Tam, and thanks for sharing.
      Dink

Comment

Great read and a great trip Tam. Wish I could have been there.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Wow, Tamara great story!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

It is really great to have you back, you sure have been a big miss

Comment

Tam - Thanks so much for coming to NY and making me a part of your "Great Adventure" . Next time we'll tour the Adirondacks instead of the Catskills. 8) I can't wait, though I'll have to.

Comment

Such a killer trip you had. Wish I could have made the NH portion, but I hope I get to meet you some other time!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sounds like you had a blast! I especially enjoyed your writing style ... felt like I was right along with you on "our" adventure! If your next adventure takes you through the Chicago area drop a line and you'll always have a place to stay and an eager riding partner!

Best Regards,
                Steve 8)

Comment

Hey "lil Sis" glad to hear you made it back safe and sound.
                  Great read. Glad I was part of it.

Now about the conversion of kmph.>>>to mph>>.... 8O 8O
                  You've been riding with the NE boys too much
                  Slow down a little......

Yes we had a great ride and really good weather. Some outrageous roads to ride on and beautiful scenery.

Always a joy to see you laugh and smile.
                  Now next time we'll have to get that guy from Toronto...gas something or other to join us
                  I'm sure he'd enjoy the trip

Glad to hear you're back safe and sound.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for sharing your adventure trip with us!! Great to read!!
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sounds like a nice ride all around, I am still thinking about how much I enjoyed the NH leg.
                      1982 GS1000S Katana
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Wow?..I?m green with envy ! ! That?s an incredible story. It sounds to me like you?re ?healing? nicely from the last few months, and I?m VERY Happy for you. I?m hoping that next summer I?ll get up the nerve to pack some clothes on my bike and head out on a similar adventure. I just have to figure out where to go.

Comment

Congratulations Ms. Clampet, there aren't as many riders as you would think that take a tour as grand as yours, especially alone. I'm happy you had a wonderful time and even happier that you made it home safe and sound. Thank you for the pictures, I'll post them as soon as I can.

Comment

Pics up now for part two!

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Pics from part one are with Andy!

Comment

Stop!! No waterfall pictures! It makes me just want to pack up and head to the nearest one! I love waterfalls. Especially the ones you can jump into after a long hike. Thanks for sharing!
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X