Problem with Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Helmet

I have a helmet that the lining on the inside has come unglued (with the help of a 7 year old and his hands). What type of glue should I us to get it to stay up in the helmet.

You may want to try "shoe goo"

I would stay away from super glue stuff as it may/will eat into the styrofoam. You need the styro for protection.

use the super glue to glue his knee to his forehead........

Just kidding...kids will be kids
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks I'll try to find some can I get it from WalMart or a shoe repair shop. Ya thought about gluing the kid to the wall when I saw him walking with my helmet on and the lining pulled down over his face. Unfortunate he is a co-works kid.

Comment

You could also use a hot glue gun, also available at Wallyworld. Avoid using anything petroleum based, it may eat the foam and also soften the shell...

Comment

two words that will sove any problem:

DUCT-TAPE

Comment

I agree....

you can probably duct tape the kid and not get in too much trouble!

Comment

Be sure to air out that helmet REALLY good after gluing it. Let it sit for a few days, preferably with some air blowing through it from a fan, to get rid of the solvent. Huffing and riding's not cool.

Hot melt glue doesn't use solvent, but just about everything else suggested so far does. (Well, maybe not the duct tape.)

Dave

Comment

hot glue will melt stryefoam. you could try some 3m brand super77 spray adhesive, that may work well. you could spray some on the back side of the cusions then set them in place. i don't think it melts stryefoam but i would try a little bit on a test spot first.

makes sure you get the 3m super77 brand, other stuff just sucks

-ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hey First Timer thanks for the suggestion on the 77 glue. I went to the local bike shope and they suggested some 3M produt also. I think I'll give it a try.

Comment

Artists use the 3M 77 stuff all the time for building models out of many types of foam. It's also said to work well for gluing on new foam when reshaping a motorcycle seat.

So it shouldn't cause any problems with the foam in your helmet. You could get a foam cup and use that to test your adhesive if you're really paranoid -- it's made of the exact same material in a different density.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X