80 GS850 Cam Chain Tensioner o-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS850 Cam Chain Tensioner o-rings

Just to share a tip that took me a while to figure out. . . . .
    The Suzuki 1980 GS850G microfische is wrong/incomplete for the cam chain tensioner, specifically it only shows one of the 3 o-rings, and that one is shown in wrong place.
    After getting the wrong o-ring and guy at counter of no help, I looked at microfische on BikeBandit for 81 G and then L and then 82 G and then L and then 83.. .. I think 82 had some revsioins but not yet complete .. I think it was the fiche for 83 L before the microfisch reflected reality of what I was seeing in my cam chain tensioner.
    So if you are in need of orings for 80, 81, 82 (78,79?) cam chain tensioner, look at fische for a later year, like 83 or 84.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Thx Red. I have run into stuff like this before too. It always helps if someone has paved the way.

Comment

That's right Redman.
      I've been down this road before. The Suzuki part numbers for the two o-rings and seal are:
      Set screw o-ring:09280-06005
      Large o-ring:09280-21013
      Seal:09284-10006
      From members past posts, it appears the '78 through '83 models all use these same parts, maybe others.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Make sure you write down the correct part numbers.

I was having a heck of a time last week with my cam chain tensioner rebuild -- I had this o-ring from the bag-o-parts I had ordered, but not an oil seal... #$@$!

I finally sourced an oil seal from an industrial supply house, since I was in a hurry to catch the last of our good weather. All is well now, and my cam chain tensioner is clean and sparkly.

Anyway, I finally figured out yesterday that I had written down the wrong part numbers from the list that KK had kindly provided.

09284- is the prefix for seals
        09280- is the prefix for o-rings

Don't mix 'em up!

DOH!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
        X