For love of a thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For love of a thing.

Well, now that it's coming up on 4 months with no bike, I've really started to reflect and remember why it is that I miss it soooooooo much. How's that old saying go? You don't know how much you love something, until it's gone.

I loved to go to work for the simple fact that I would be riding there, even if it was only 2.5 miles. And as it was parked inside the building, I'd get to walk passed it every couple of hours and smile, knowing that in a few hours I'd get to hop back on and go home.

I loved that, when at home, I could hop on at any given time during the day or night, and go for a ride.

I loved that my niece, who at a year old, would say my name whenever she would see another motorcycle.

I loved that, even though it didn't look near as pretty as anyone else's, it was still mine.

I love the fact, that without it, I'd never have found this wonderful place. Or met any of the local people who frequent here, either.

I love knowing that I'll be back in the saddle soon and able to ride with many more of you in the future.

I love my wife, who is worried about me riding again, but still supports me getting back on because she knows how happy it will make me.

I could go on and on, but I think this probably says enough. There is just so much that old motorcycle did for me, besides getting me to where I wanted to go. There's just not enough I can write to express it.

Brad tt

That was nice. I can absolutely relate to everything you're feeling.
    Hope you're back on the road ASAP!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I hear ya Brad!!!! I haven't got to ride mine in almost 1.5 years now!!!

Comment

Nice refletions.
        after I had a stroke 8 years back, It took months for me to just get out of bed and then after a year i tried to ride a moped and couldnt controll it.
        Time and detrmonATION WILL PLY A BIG FACTOR IN HOW SOON YOU RIDE AGAIN . JUST DON' GIVE UP

BLOODY CAPS KEY

Comment

I can relate.
          I sold my '80 GS750E in 1990, when I graduated from college and was strapped for cash. Took about 4 yrs to recognize the magnitude of my error. That was a great bike, MANY good times, I still miss it.

I kept the dream alive. It took nine years to get back in the saddle, when I found the bike of my fevered teenage lust - an '84 Kawasaki ZX900A1 Ninja, in sweet original condition.

My girlfriend knew how much I missed riding.
          Ironically, it was she who persuaded me...to buy the paper...to call on the ad...to go look at the bike...to buy it...
          That girlfriend is now my wife.

Now I also own the 'other' bike I craved as a youth - an '80 GS1100ET.

I will never live again without a motorcycle. I've found that I'm a better rider, and I get even more pleasure from riding than I did before.
          Hang on, keep the fire alive, try to make it happen. You will not regret it.

Cheers, Ted

Comment

Nice words. I feel the same, currently bikeless. Hopefully that will change soon, but needs to go in order, (local) job first, bike second...

Comment

Re: For love of a thing.

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
              I loved to go to work for the simple fact that I would be riding there
              That fact has gotten me out of the house a fair number of times. I miss my commute when I'm on vacation, and find comfort in going to work, even if I know the day will be hard. I look forward to going home after a days work, and the ability to wind down, as the road winds. The motorcycle, in all it's mechanical glory, is an amazing blessing, to me, and to all those who put up with me.

I can also smile, when people ask how I stand my long commute (about 50 miles one way), and know that it would be a hardship if I didn't have that commute.

Comment

Well said, Brad. Well said.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I feel you man. And if you wait to long Brad you'll go insane and end up like me! And I know you don't want that so get her back on the road man

Comment

I can't even begin to imagine life without my ride. My bike is my freedom, my space, my time to myself. To be without a bike, that is just too much a nightmarish thought for me.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misfortune man! If you don't mind my asking, what exactly happened?

Best wishes man and I hope you ride again soon!

Comment

Very nicely said Brad. B4 you know it, you'll be back in the saddle! 8)

Comment

Yeah Brad, I can really relate to how you feel too. Bought my current 79 GS1000 in 1992, about the same time we bought a permanent residence on a country acreage. Due to having little time to ride because of all the work involved with the property the bike mostly sat covered up in the corner of the garage. Because of where we were I could at least take it for a quick spin once and a while so that wasn't so bad. Seven years later after much pestering from a friend who collects bikes I sold it to him on the condition I could ride it when I wanted and buy it back if I wanted. Pretty good deal. Well, not having it parked in the garage just wasn't the same. I really missed the old GS not being home and bought it back around this time last year and put it back on the road. It got polished up last winter and I was back in the saddle this year complete with insurance. Waiting can be tough but your turn will come.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                          X