530 Chain Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Chain Conversion

I am considering doing a 530 chain and sprocket conversion to my '83 1100ED. I've read about needing to shim the countershaft sprocket for alignment but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Has anyone done the 530 conversion to a similar bike? Does anyone make complete kits? If not, is there a single place where I can buy all the necessary parts?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

while we're on the subject, could someone please the benefits of this swap ?...h.g. :?

Comment

wonder also

Beat me to it, I was wondering what the advantages were also....Mike

Comment

I'm only responding 'casue I saw no one else has yet...

The bike I just bought has this conversion. As I understand, one of the benefits is that there is a larger selection of quality chains and sprockets available. Also I believe the lighter chain reduces friction and weight, therefore increasing effective horsepower at the rear wheel.

Pretty much a guess as I've asked the same question myself.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

makes sense

That's what I had heard also I guess the lighter chain would gain you a bit of rear wheel horsepower but I wonder actually how much.
          As far as availability, I just replaced my chain and sprockets with the origonal 630, never had a problem getting any parts.
          I may be old school but I figure if a smaller, lighter chain will work and is strong enough, then the larger chain will last longer and be a little more bullet proof.
          Not arguing with 'ya Jethro, just my 2 cents worth. ..Mike

Comment

Not arguing with 'ya Jethro, just my 2 cents worth. ..Mike
            No, I hear ya- I just did my 81 with a 630 chain last year- didn't have a problem getting parts either. I did notice that there are about 10 times more choices with the 530, but who needs a blue and gold chain with blinking LEDs?

As far as the horsepower, I think my 81 with the 630 is a little faster!

Can someone who knows about this mod fill me in with the real advantages?
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The reason for change here in Australia is mainly cost. The 530 engineering has now surpassed the 630 in terms of life expectancy.
              I do not believe there has been any design changes to the 630 since adam was a boy and there is no bike on the market now that uses that size. So it sort of stands to reason that if the new Gixers and all the horrsepower they put out are ok on the 530 our dinasours should be no problem. The benifit is reduced drag, greater choice, reduced costs, reduced unsprung weight.

Regards Simon

Comment

I just changed d.i.d 530 zvm chain and jtf513-17 + jtr816-48 sprockets to my gsx1100sz. You need a jtf518b spacer (or any available 6mm thick spacer) in front of the front sprocket.

I got better quality with less money... there was only one type of 630 chains available anyway. A wild guess: the manufacturers don't develope 630 chains as much as 530 chains ???

Comment

530 chain conv

I've done a 530 mod to my 7/11. For me the benefits are that you are able to buy a good, new 530 chain off ebay for next to no money and can use whatever gearing you want by using GSXR sprockets. Just put a new GSXR sprocket of your choice on the back, align it with the new GSXR front sprocket with help of a piece of straight aluminum, use a couple of steel rings to fill up, DONE. Very simple and you WILL gain a couple of horses. Only pit to fall in is that the 530 sprox are smaller in diameter for the same amount of teeth. So go to your motorparts-shop and find the right sprox in an aftermarket book he will be having. Sprox range from 15-18 teeth front, rear spox to match. Good luck! Greetings, Marco.

Comment

I've also done this on my 1980 S model.
                    I did it earlier this spring.

As has been stated, cost is one thing and a little extra power.
                    I noticed I don't get the "snatching" or lurch I used to get .
                    Part of this is because the rubber cush drive on the primary sprocket is gone. The bike now really hooks up. I've noticed better over all performance. The weight loss, I don't know how much of a difference is saved, maybe a couple of pounds.

It was a very easy conversion. I either got really lucky or dumb luck.
                    I used 2 spacers, one on each side of the primary sprocket and no spacers on the rear sprocket. Nothing touched the chain.
                    I ran the bike on the center stand, on the lift, in a couple of gears.
                    No problems.

Just remember that the 630, say 96 links is longer than 96 links of 530 chain.
                    You will need a longer 530 chain, I think I used about 112 links.
                    I bought a 120 link chain and cut it.
                    I also used a non clip on master link.

Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Dennis Kirk supplied me with the right sprockets and spacer. You just have to call them and talk to an operator. I told him what bike it was and that I wanted to do a 530 conversion, He said "alright" and gave me everything I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                        Dennis Kirk supplied me with the right sprockets and spacer. You just have to call them and talk to an operator. I told him what bike it was and that I wanted to do a 530 conversion, He said "alright" and gave me everything I needed.
                        How much did that cost, if I may ask?

Dave

Comment

Don't remember off hand, but I should have the receipt at home. I'll check it tonight.

Comment

Question. (I'm still running 630.) Since a 15 tooth 530 sprocket is smaller in diameter than a 15 tooth 630 sprocket and like-wise the 42's, to retain the original gear ratios, in my case 15/42, what number of teeth do the new 530 sprockets have to be?
                            Or do both new sprockets, being smaller in diameter, cancel each other out?
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

KGB, what number of teeth are your new sprockets?
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X