1983 GS550E: Won't accelerate past 35 MPH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550E: Won't accelerate past 35 MPH

I'd been trying to figure out what's the cause why I can't go past 35 MPH. The bike hadn't been running for 4 years, the gas in the carb gummed so I cleaned everything (both carbs), emptied the gas tank, cleaned the jets. Now the bike runs, but only up to 35 MPH. Any suggestion as to what's the culprit? Thanks for your help.

Put this in the technical section to get more answers.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

your carbs are gummed up

Comment

I had the same problem on my 80 550e , I changed from the stock are box to K&N and went up on the jetting from 97 to 112 and I couldn't get up above 40 mph, I spent a month messing with it until I went up on the jetting again from 112 to 136 and that finally fixed the problem.

Comment

From stock, they could do 120, so I doubt the jetting is far off (unless it is modified). I will guess one of your slides is stuck. Mine seem to stick unless they are rotated correctly. Thus once I assemble them, I reach in the back and rotate the slides in each throat until they seem to work the smoothest.

I also replace all the jets when I do the carbs, easy, cheap, and quick. The inner 2 cylinders run 1 or 2 get sizes larger to cool the cyliners (mine run 97.5's on the outboard, 102.5's inboard). I hope you dunk cleaned the carbs and didn't use canned cleaner, there is no way it can remove 4 year old varnish! I also run 37.5's on all the pilot jets. The needle and seats are 2.8's.

Good luck!
          Kenny
          85 GS550E (19 years and still going!)
          85 FJ1100

Comment

Working...
          X