Trip report: 550 on tour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip report: 550 on tour.

Just got back from adding two new states to my "on two wheels" total; Delaware and New Jersey. Record now stands at 40 states total and 29 on the 550. About 2200 miles on this run. The bike has 83,500 something miles on it now. Head and cases have never been off/split. I've owned this bike for 15 years.

Rode through Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to Virginia's eastern shore, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and returned through Maryland and West Virginia to the Bluegrass state.

I love bridges! Footbridges, covered bridges, old iron bridges, railroad trestles, superhighway bridges. (but I hate steel grate decks!) I crossed three major structures on this trip. The previously mentioned Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, $12.00 toll! Ouch! They want to add another tunnel tube so the toll went up a couple of bucks recently. But kind of neat to ride your bike across open ocean!
    The mammoth I95/295 bridge from Wilmington Delaware to New Jersey. I waited till after rush hours to make this crossing but traffic was still heavy, too heavy to take in the scenery. But man, that sure is a lot of water wayyy down there. Easy to get vertigo.
    And bridge number three. Dingman's Bridge from New Jersey to Pennsylvania in the Deleware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This is the last privately owned bridge on a public highway in the country. Old iron bridge with a new silver paint job and wooden plank deck. The renovation could be because of the flooding recently from the remnants of hurricane Ivan. 75 cent toll and a 4 ton weight limit.

Visited: Assateague Island National Seashore, home to wild horses. Critters want two things, free food and a chance to bite you! This area has a really beautiful white sand beach. and Ocean City is right down the road.
    Delaware Water Gap, can't let a mere mountain stand in the way of this river! Parts of the road in this National Park area were washed out because of the mentioned flooding.

Great camping in Greenbriar State Forest, WV, the ranger let me stay for free! I have had very good experiences with the fine rangers and campers in WV's State Forests on three separate occasions and I recommend a stay at them if you're in the area.
    Bloxom Virginia on Chesapeake Bay at a private camp called "Little Acres Campground".
    Vorhees State Park, High Bridge, NJ mmmm roast beef sub from Top of the Hill Deli and Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale smuggled into the camping area. ( I know...and I felt guilty about it between sips...right.)
    And in PA at Promised Land and Locust Lake State Parks. The folks at these two parks were also top notch friendly people! Met a few riders in the Promised land area. Some good stories swapped.

Weather was cool to cold. Frost the first night in WV! Glad I brought the down sleeping bag! Sunny to cloudy and in between but no rain, not one drop!

One mishap, dropped the bike in some sand in Cape Henlopen State Park, Delaware. Campground road changed from asphalt to hard packed sand. I got off the hard pack into some loose stuff turning around and the front wheel washed out right now! Didn't hurt the bike a bit but I did crack my windshield in two. Taped it up for the rest of the trip. I only bruised my ego. What hurt though was I was on my way out, the camping fee was $28.00 a night for non-state residents. Sorry, I've had motel rooms with cable for less, well to be honest, me and the mice. Shame too because the beach and coastal areas were very nice. The park has at least 3 old WWII bunkers, two are underground one is above but is posted keep out. Which in the States is like posting a sign that says 'Free Admission'. Righteous guy in a Ford pickup, long grey pony tail VietNam Vet ball cap, helped me pick the bike up. Thanks man where ever you are tonight! Bike was on a slight slope and I could not get purchase in the sand to get it up by myself even with the gear off. Good thing it wasn't the Connie bike and its additional 250 plus or minus pounds!

And that rather long report only scratches the surface. Can't wait for my next long run.

Ride Safe.

That sounds like fun. You didn't by chance get to take any pics, did you?

Brad tt

Comment

I used to live in New Jersey and hiked a ton in the Delaware Water Gap area. Local trails and a section of the Appalachian trail run through there... down south a little further toward the pine barrens there's tons of swamp land with small rivers running here and there making for some real good lazy canoeing among the swamp maples. I'm glad you found the beauty in those areas so much of it is suburbs or urban fringe from philadelphia it's hard to find really nice spots sometimes... at least it seems that way when you're a kid....

Comment

Those 550's can do the job! Thanks for sharing!
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Took some pics but they're on film...(analog?) no scanner here. Cardboard camera isn't all used up yet either.

I found some really great roads in Delaware and New Jersey, and some really beautiful scenery. I went out of my way to miss urban sprawl. When your time is so limited in a state it's so very important to make sure the impressions you take with you are the best. It's too easy to remember negatives.

Comment

Awesome. 550s rule! 8)

Comment

Working...
            X