My Yosemite Ride With a Few Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Yosemite Ride With a Few Pics

I live in a great area to ride. It's the Sacramento river delta area and there's alot of backroads, farms, tourist traps and some great scenery, but on the weekends I get out a bit. This time I remembered to take a picture or two. It was a ride to Yosemite National park here in No. California. It's only about 200 mi. there from my place and if I get out by 6 a.m. or so I can get back home to spend time with the wife and kids. Anyway I got a pic of the sunrise on the highway by my place overlooking the cornfields and a few on the way. There were lots of bikes coming back and all that I met were either waving to me or talking to me at gas stops and some rode along with me. Bummer thing was they were almost all Harleys!! What gives! Need to get some GS power out there. There were a few twisties along the way so I got to get the blood circulating and some great scenery too. Well go check out the pics and notice that California actually has some country in it and that we stil haven't been completely covered with houses yet .
    P.S from Rob'swife... the pics are on my web site, so don't be surprised if you see lots of stuff about knitting! http://crystalsknits.tripod.com/id21.html

Nice! Hope to get out there with my GS sometime...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I was lucky enough to cruise Yosemite in 1972 on my brand new Yamaha XS2 650 twin. Rode out from Cincinnati,OH with my pard Eric, who rode a Triumph 650 TR6C. Got to camp on the valley floor, I don't think that campground is there any more. They didn't have the 'firefall' that evening. I think it was because of dry conditions. I understand that the firefall is also a thing of the past now. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
        I was lucky enough to cruise Yosemite in 1972 on my brand new Yamaha XS2 650 twin. Rode out from Cincinnati,OH with my pard Eric, who rode a Triumph 650 TR6C. Got to camp on the valley floor, I don't think that campground is there any more. They didn't have the 'firefall' that evening. I think it was because of dry conditions. I understand that the firefall is also a thing of the past now. Right?
        Actually as a very young child the firefall stopped. I'm thinking in the 60's. If they still do it's beyond me,but I'd go back to see it for sure.

Comment

I was out there in '99 and they said it had been some time since they'd done that.

Brad tt

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I love Yosemite!
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

OK, did a websearch and found the last Firefall was January 25th, 1968.
              So I remeber campers still talking about it in the summer of '72, four years later. I didn't really know what it was at the time, but I remember being disappointed when someone said 'they weren't going to have it that night'.

Live Yosemite Webcams on this site: www.yosemite.org

Comment

I never saw it, but I saw it on television once. It was in black and white but was still something to see. They would light large pieces of wood and let them turn to embers. As soon as it was dark they threw them over from the parking lot at Glacier point. They glowed brighter as they fell because it was like blowing on them. When they hit the ground, sparks everywhere!
                Whoever got to see it is a lucky person!
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I saw the fire falls as a kid, family spent 3-4 days in the cabin tents.
                  Last visit to Yosemite was maybe 20 years ago on a GS1000. 8) Left LA Ca 2am arrived around 8am, slept for 4 hrs and headed home Ariving back in LA around 7 PM that night.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                    Last visit to Yosemite was maybe 20 years ago on a GS1000. 8) Left LA Ca 2am arrived around 8am, slept for 4 hrs and headed home Ariving back in LA around 7 PM that night.
                    Lynn, that's a long way to go to get 4 hours of sleep! Even if 4 hours of sleep up there IS worth 8 hours of sleep in L.A.
                    Bet it was fun though. I should do the same, "just because".

Comment

Pretty cool pics, I havent been to yosmite for a long time. I'm trying to find other GSers in the sacto area to mabey put together a ride or meet, (sometimes I think I have the only GS in this area) I have been riding with one of my friends, but it's mostly east up to Tahoe or Auburn area. the delta sounds like a cool place to ride, but I'm not too familiar with that area. The weather has turned bad fast, so probably have to wait until next year or choose wisely. anyhow, It's good to know there are some other GSers out there.

Comment

Kent-
                        Just e-mail me through the forum. I'm constantantly out and about. I also go out to tahoe and such for a day ride. I like to go out Hwy 88 to get there from here. Here in the Delta is cool because of all the twisty levee roads and the old towns. BTW I happened to see a GS parked near Old Town a few weeks ago. Was that you possibly?

Comment

Sounds good, if it ever quits raining I'll drop you a line

Kent

Comment

Working...
                          X