Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What newer bikes have you ridden ? Compare to GS

I guess anything newer than 86

Here's my list starting with the oldest.

1987 FZ 700. Some more plastic. Semi-zippy motor

1987 GSXR 750. Fun bike, borrowed from friend. Rode from Berkeley CA to LA CA. Most uncomfrotable seat ever made. Light, handles well if not a bit nervous.

1990 GSXR 750. uncomfortable, buzzy, slick transmission.

1993 GS 500. nimble and gutless, but fun through the corners.

1995 GPZ 1100. Porky in a clumbsy sort of way Some grunt.

1996 ZX-11. Docile until you start twisting, not a rush of speed, but a endless amount of velocity. Probably nothing like a Busa though.

1996 RF 900. I bought it for $2900 all there. Handled worse than my Katana with 1980 front end. My Katana actually handles pretty well. Pathetic forks that would dive at every opportunity. Super vague handling. Motor was so so, you'd expect more grunt.

1997 ZX-6R. Friend bought it for 900 w/o plastic. Deceptively fast. Smooth motor, strong brakes. Clunky transmission.

1998 T-595 Daytona. Wow, what a bizzare bike. The motor pulls like a train. And the fuel injection was strange when decelerating. It felt like it was gonna die. The motor seemed like it would keep pulling in all gears, slow revving, tractor like (D-9). The exhaust note was quite pleasing. It had the high carbon Triumph performance can on. Nice tone. The riding position was similar to the 1990 Gisxr. I liked it eventhough it was uncomfortable.

2000 CBR 1100XX. My friends and I joked about the feeling of this bike.
    Scary/Boring. Its a Honda, everything is so perfect and reliable that it lacks character. The acceleration is so without drama that you don't realize how fast you're going. The motor revs, but you don't feel it. A faceless motorcycle.

2000 ZRX 1100. Handled well for such a big bike. It turned in so much easier than my Kat. I guess the 17'' vs. 19'' is the big difference. That little quarter fairing does nothing but buffet your faceshield. I was getting blown about a 80 mph. The motor is super smooth. almost too smooth. The top end was marginal. Kinda seemed like it signed off early. I bet the original ELR was more interesting. Maybe a little more soul.

2001 Buell X-1 Lightning. Super fun bike. I only rode it 6 miles. Wheelies at will and I don't know how to wheelie really. Moves out when you click through the gears. I was on a 25 mph road, I snatched a few gears and as two houses passed by I was doing 70.

2001 Aprillia RSV Mille R. This bike was interesting. By far the most expensive machine I've been on. My bike cost $400 this one $17,000. It had the Ohlins suspension and OZ wheels with Pirelli Super Corsa tires and a power chip. The V is so different than a Four. Instant acceleration at any rpm a super plush suspension. I rode it on a mostly wet day with some dry patches. I didn't really get to lean it over much. Wheelies at will also. Very cool bike.

2002 YZF R-1. I expected much more from this bike. It felt a bit ragged a 10500 rpms. It felt like it was going to buzz worse than it already was so I shifted. The handling was super quick, but not reassuring. I didn't really feel very planted. I suppose it takes some time to adapt to technology this new.

Out of these bikes, I liked the T-595 and the Aprillia. They had some character. I realized that it would be weird spending 10k on a bike and riding around. I think the riding experience would be different in some negative way. Makes me all the more happy riding my Kat. I've only seen two on the road in the past 10 years. Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Most of the bikes I've owned have neen newer than 1986 models. I also have rode many newer models of motorcycles. I decided that I did not want a bike payment any more so now I ride two old GS's. One to work on and one to ride. Instead of a bike payment I buy parts at the local Suzuki dealer. They still get my money! My GS's are shaft drive. I would expect them to differ from the chain drive bikes in power and handling, esp the GS1100E's. I have a 80GS850G, and a 82GS1100GK. I would compare the 850 to a "89" Honda Pacific coast I owned for 6 years. The 1100GK would compare to a 1998 Harley Electra Glide standard I owned for 4 years. I also owned a 2002 Honda VFR800FI, very refined and smooth. Plently of power. It was too fast for me. I also spent some time on a Suzuki SV650S. Nice bike. I have never rode a chain drive GS, so I can not compare those bikes to a GS sport bike. At my age (44) and frame of mind I'm looking into sport touring type of motorcyles. Some thing with a shaft.

Comment

Newest bike was an 89 V-Max. Fun ride, seat puckering acceleration. Handled slightly better than a beached whale.

Comment

my newest ride was a 93 vfr 750. one of the best [if not the best] bikes ever made. should never have sold it !...h.g.

Comment

I test road a FZ1 when I had my GS700, thought the handling was a bit weird, not quite as quick as the 700, but would have gotten used to it. Loved the power, and the brakes were amazing.

This year I road a Honda 599, I was hoping to tryout the 919, but they didn't have one. I was thinking that this 599, had a slightly detuned last generation 600, and from all I've heard about 600s these days I figured it would be a pretty decent ride. It seemed like it would handle well, though I didn't push it much as it had brand new tires. I was very let down with the motor, I figured the thing would be pretty zippy in high rpms, but it had nothing. I was glad to hop back on the 1150, and pull a nice power wheelie. I don't think I could go with a bike under a liter anymore, spoiled I guess.

Comment

I rode a friend's 2004 Ducati 749s the other day. Awesome bike, but I was glad to get back on my GS. Bike handles like it's on rails, but gets uncomfortable really quick. Not to mention only 100 miles on a tank of gas.

I really like the Kawa ZZR1200R, but can't afford it right now.

Funny story, I was out riding with a friend who rides a Suzuki Marauder. We decided to switch bikes for a while. We made it five miles down the road and I stopped to switch back because I kept putting my feet down and not out in front of me where the pegs were. When we stopped, my buddy came running up saying "Thank You for Stopping". Seems we were both confused about where to put our feet and we were about to get ourselves hurt. He said he almost put his foot through the front wheel of my bike twice.

Comment

Originally posted by jtcrespo
              Funny story, I was out riding with a friend who rides a Suzuki Marauder. We decided to switch bikes for a while. We made it five miles down the road and I stopped to switch back because I kept putting my feet down and not out in front of me where the pegs were. When we stopped, my buddy came running up saying "Thank You for Stopping". Seems we were both confused about where to put our feet and we were about to get ourselves hurt. He said he almost put his foot through the front wheel of my bike twice.
              That is funny, for my 25th birthday I was in florida doing a job with my in-laws, and they rented a harley fat boy for 4 hours for me. It was great as it was winter time in Maine, and I hadn't ridden in a while. I remember it taking me a while to remember to put my feet forward, I kept trying to rest one foot on the exhaust while the other just searched around for something to land on. After the first hour I was used to it though. As much as I wouldn't own a harley for my only bike, it was a lot of fun cruising around the florida coast on one.

Comment

Last year, I rode a rented HD Road King for a ten day business trip and documented things here:
                Checkout the full domain details of Edcreative.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

The dweeb in the do-rag is NOT ME -- that's my boss. I am possibly the only person in history to ride a Hardley in a full-face helmet, full-coverage gloves, and a proper armored touring jacket:
                Checkout the full domain details of Edcreative.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

The best I can say is that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can't imagine why anyone would pay $18,000 for one of those things.

I've also ridden my boss' yellow Hardley (a 2001 soft tail or something), and it was every bit as bad as I thought it would be. Loud, pitiful suspension, no ground clearance, terrible vibration. It had been modified to make more power than the RK, but nowhere near what you would think judging by the gawdawful racket. More noise than motion, like most Hardleys. The RK could be a gentleman's motorcycle, as long as the gentleman doesn't care about power or handling. My boss' bike is just an obnoxious cartoon.

About four years ago, I was able to trade bikes for a short ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway on a BMW RS1100 rented for the day by a good friend. Not in the contract, but what the heck. The handling is impressive, and I LOVED the brakes. I've always said my GS850G is a poor man's BMW, and I would have a Beemer RS in my garage if they weren't so %#@! expensive to maintain. Shafties rule!

The BMW's power wasn't as impressive as I thought it might be, but I liked the torque and feel of the big twin. It would take me a while to get used to the different powerband characteristics.

I've also ridden a Honda CBR600 (F2, I think), and I came away very impressed by the power, handling, and braking. The riding position was pretty difficult to get used to.

The Honda and BMW really impressed me with how solid the frames are -- no flexing at higher velocities like my GS. There's also a lot to be said for modern tires.

All in all, I think my GS holds up very well compared to modern bikes. With updated suspension (very important, or you'll be shaking hands with Jesus), the 850 has a balance of power, braking, and handling that works extremely well. I've only allowed one person to ride my GS, but he was very impressed.

If I had a newer bike, I would just go that much faster, so it's probably just as well...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I rode my friends Shadow 1100 for a while, it felt like quite an enjoyable ride. Nice grunt on the bottom, though no match for the 750 on the big end. The vibration was tolerable, of the 'character' variety I guess. I didn't get to lean it much, but it felt pretty quick responding for a big bike. I know for a fact he can throw that thing around a corner with alacrity. I still think the GS handles better, it has a little more clearance and a little less mass. I don't usually ride all that fast, but one day I was motoring through the turns and he was getting left behind, and I was definitely not covering ground as quickly as I could have, and I think he's a better rider than me too. Still it's a bike that is very comfortable and able on the road, and gets a decent cruising range besides. It's one of the cruisers I'd consider owning, along with a Magna and maybe a V-Star. The Magna 750 is a (sadly discontinued) hairy cruiser, quicker than the GS750 according to road tests. I just love the V-Star styling, it's one of the best looking cruisers in my book.

Comment

GS650L vs 2004 250cc scooter

Here's a comparison coming from a different direction. I learned to ride this summer on a new 250cc Kymco scooter with 16" wheels, larger than the scooter norm. http://www.strmotorsports.com/showro...250/index.html The only MC I had ridden until recently was a Virago 250 in MSF training. Now (as of a week ago) I have an '82 GS650L with Vetter Winjammer fairing. I wanted something a little heavier and better wind protected, more powerful for occasional highway travel, and something I could fiddle with.

The 250cc scooter is easy to ride, flickable to the point of twitchy, and very quiet. I push it pretty hard into sharp corners at 35-40, sometimes dragging the center stand. The GS650 is more stable and pretty noisy (I have to wear ear plugs). I don't know how to evaluate the noise, from what I think are stock pipes, but between 3 and 4K the engine seems loud. It really seems like 2 MCs, one below 4k RPM and a very different one above that. I sneak out of the neighborhood skipping gears and keeping it below 3k, then try to keep it above 4k. Besides engine/exhaust noise I hear chain sounds (cam chain tensioner?) on decelleration.

I'm not as comfortable yet leaning the GS650, so I can't compare them yet. I doubt the GS will be quite as flickable as the scooter, and dthe fairing confuses things too.

The scooter reminds me of skiing and the GS feels like riding a powerful mechanical horse.

I've also test ridden a Suzuki Burgman 650. It falls somewhere between my 2 bikes, much more powerful and stable than my 250 but also replete with mechanical noises, mostly from the transmission.

Comment

My other bike (sounds like a bumper sticker) is an 82 Magna 750. It's very smooth,very predictable and easy to ride. It's what I learned to ride on.
                      My friend has a new Honda VTX 1300. It was fun to ride. Nothing to write home about. It's kinda big and clunky feeling but a good bike. My son calls it a wannabe Harley.
                      I like my old GS1100, it's faster, more nimble, and cost a heck of alot less.

Comment

The only other bike I have ridden is a 2002 Honda CB250 (Nighthawk). I live in Queens, NY, so it's perfect for the huge amounts of traffic here. Around here my GS750 feels overpowered because there is never a chance to use that kind of power.

I wish more 250s were made, I'm in love with their light weight. I am really hankering to try out an EX250 (Ninja).

Comment

Anybody ever tried the Yamaha GTS1000? The one with the single-sided 'front' swingarm? I think they only made them for a year or two...

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie
                            Anybody ever tried the Yamaha GTS1000? The one with the single-sided 'front' swingarm? I think they only made them for a year or two...
                            Like this one ? It's for sale at another site . 1500 bucks

Comment

Only a couple,ZZR1100 (round a field at a rally,never got out of 1st gear)and a ZRX1100,cracked open the throttle at about 70 in top and the front wheel lifted mebbe an inch or two!Mucho grunt!Drove a race tuned GT750 Kettle once,you blokes call 'em water buffalos,scared the hell out of me!

Comment

Working...
                              X