Got 'tagged' today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got 'tagged' today.

I left my bike parked in the town of Madison NJ today while I met my wife for lunch and someone backed into it while I was away. As I walked up to the bike I noticed where the kickstand dug up a little pavement, it appears the bike was pushed back about an inch. I couldn't see any damage, so I rode off, but I noticed that as I rode straight the bars and guages were skewed slightly to the right. I swung back and left a note on the Land Rover that was in front of me to please call me if they were the one who backed into my bike. The bike seemed to ride fine all the way home, though there might be some vibration between like 30-50 mph. I didn't expect a call back, and I thought it was a long shot that the guy that was there when I left did it, because it looked from his angle that he just pulled into the space in front of me, the rear was sticking out a bit. He DID call though, saying that he wasn't aware that he backed into me, or of any damage, but that tells me that he did suspect he might have, and looked for damage. He did say that he backed into his space. I haven't talked to him yet (he left a message), but I'll probably call him after I get my bike looked at tomorrow. I suspect I may have one or two bent fork tubes, but I can't tell with a straight edge, they look straight. The axle bolt also looks straight against a straight edge. I may also have a bent wheel though that too looks pretty straight as I spin it with the fender off (oh yeah the fender was pushed to the side slightly). I'm hoping that can be fixed with a spoke adjustment. As far as the forks, we'll see.... At any rate at least it looks like I'll be reimbursed if it ends up costing a lot of dough. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

As if you didn't already know this (but to be safe), take a VERY close look at the bike where you think it was contacted and see if there is any paint residue from the vehicle that hit it. That way you can positively identify or rule out the driver you think may have done the deed.

As much as I know you want to be compensated, I suspect you'd feel guilty if you even thought for a moment that you were going after an innocent party...

Sorry to hear your bike was nailed!

Steve 8)

Comment

Oh I couldn't find any evidence on my vehicle or his. I'm sure a criminal forensics expert could come up with something, but it's not worth it. There's no way for me to know who did it so I'm not accusing or going after this guy. If he feels he did it and wants to compensate I'll accept, but it's gotta be his initiative. I get the feeling he kinda thinks he did it though. I'm still hoping I can report to him there was no serious harm done.

Comment

I scraped a car pulling in to a tight spot this summer. I left a note and insurance card on the car windsheild, then had to explain to the parking security why I was messing with another car...

They never did call me.

Comment

Save the message he left you just in case. He is admitting possible responsibility which goes a long way toward a case should there ever be one.

I am surprised he even called, sounds like a stand up guy, so he'll probably help you get your bike fixed if needed.

Comment

Could be all that has happened is the forks tubes got twisted in the triple clamps. That'll kind of make things look all out of wack including the fender. Put it on the center stand and with the front wheel off the ground loosen the triple clamp bolts, axle bolt and fender bolts and see if things can be straightened. You may need a buddy to hold the front wheel while you twist on the handlebars to line the forks up. Also check for damaged fork stops. You may also need to loosen the top center nut on the upper triple clamp as well, might as well check the stem bearing adjustment while you're at it. Shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour and hopefully that's all it is.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

That's what they were telling me at the shop when I called, so today I went out and did much as you described. Everything seems straight now, and I'll test 'er out tomorrow. I'm betting that's it though, I think it takes a pretty good prang to bend those forks. I didn't look at the bearings, but I'm going to look into those soon anyway. The steering head is tight, but there seems to be a slight notch at 12:00 that I don't remember from before.

It still defies me how someone could back into a bike that was well back from the space in front of it.

Comment

That 'notch' or 'detent' feeling is the classic worn steering stem bearing indicator.
                Tighten those triple clamp bolts top to bottom. Before you do the axle, bungee the front brake lever 'on' before you tighten the nuts. This will keep things aligned.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I think the slight vibration I think I felt was from the brakes dragging slightly, I noticed the front wheel didn't spin all that long when I first checked it. After I aligned it the wheel spins forever (well a long time anyway). The bungee brake lever sounds like a good tip I may just go in again and do that just to be sure, itt'l only take a couple minutes after all. Test ride tomorrow, today was too crappy and I didn't have any time anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X