On the road CT to CA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the road CT to CA!

Hi all - I thought I'd send a quick note that I've hit the road for a major ride on my GS. Connecticut to San Francisco (for Halloween I hope), via the southwest, and then back to DC where I start a new job on 11/22.

I've started a blog of the journey at http://nickhahn.com/blog, and will be adding posts and pics and thoughts along the way.

Hope to provide some vicarious enjoyment to those who aren't riding much or are limited to staying close to home due to a real job Without the GS Resources, of which I have been a dedicated lurker for the almost 3 years since I got the bike, I would never have undertaken this venture with any confidence.

PS - let me know if you're on my route! Maybe we can go for a spin. Also, a backup plan (depending on how my buttocks and bike and time are doing) is to hang out in the TX area and join the Fall Hill COuntry Ride.

I'll by watching your site! I'd love to be able to do a cross continental ride like that. If you haven't already, go to the GS Goodies area from the homepage, and print up some cards. No telling how many GS's you may run across.

Good luck, have fun, and, most importantly, BE CAREFUL!

Brad tt

Comment

nice, sounds like a good time! if you're thru Boulder, CO, I'll buy ya a beer at least, and may have a place to crash? drop me a PM

happy ridin'!!

Comment

Good Luck. I dream of the day that I can do that.
        Hope your trip is a success and filled with great memories.

I'll keep an eye on you progress. The Blog is a neat idea. Thanks.

Dave

Comment

Re: On the road CT to CA!

Originally posted by Flying Low
          ... a backup plan (depending on how my buttocks and bike and time are doing) is to hang out in the TX area and join the Fall Hill COuntry Ride.
          Let us know...we'll be looking for you if the cow chips fall our direction!

Hap

Comment

Go Flyin' Low! Big ol' 1100 ought to be damn near as fast as that old Warrior with a tail wind!

Comment

When you start getting close to California I gotta' meet up with you and ride in with you. :twisted: I'm kinda on the way to the City (S.F. that is).
              8)

Comment

Hey all, thanks for the comments.... as I can tell by looking at the blog hits, at least some of you have been checking up on me After this I'll post an update of yesterday's activities and (finally) get some of the pictures up.

Right now, I'm just past Rolla, MO and getting ready to leave before noon for the first time yet - unexpected night-time activities have been enjoyable so far, so I'm not complaining.

Bike valvetrain area is making rather more noise than I'm used to.... the usual low-volume whirring and clicking has gone up in volume quite a bit, when I listen to it at idle. But she still sounds fine at highway speeds.... any ideas? I plan to find somewhere selling good oil and do a proper change later today, maybe in Tulsa. That usually helps some.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your trip. I hope you're going through the Northern Arizona/Southern Utah area. Monument Valley, Trail of the Ancients Hwy...
                  The Capitol Reef/Bryce Canyon/Zion Nat'l Parks are all in a loop. Beautiful places! Safe trip!
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

As requested, Hap, here's my notification: I'll be in Dallas today (Sunday)!

Made Oklahoma City tonight after wandering Route 66 and beyond all afternoon in Missouri, stopping off in Kansas to say I have, and then hunkering down for a night ride at the 75mph speed limit for as long as I could stand.... got a friend in Dallas who reminded me that he has to work Monday. So I plan to be there mid-day.

By the way: some pics finally (more and captions to come later). http://photos.yahoo.com/knotnic/, album "Mcycle Trip."

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Low
                      As requested, Hap, here's my notification: I'll be in Dallas today (Sunday)!

Made Oklahoma City tonight after wandering Route 66 and beyond all afternoon in Missouri, stopping off in Kansas to say I have, and then hunkering down for a night ride at the 75mph speed limit for as long as I could stand.... got a friend in Dallas who reminded me that he has to work Monday. So I plan to be there mid-day.

By the way: some pics finally (more and captions to come later). http://photos.yahoo.com/knotnic/, album "Mcycle Trip."
                      You're a week early for the hill country ride! I hope a couple of the guys up in the DFW area can hook up with you!

Hap

Comment

more photos

Well, I'm relaxing in Carrollton, TX. Got here about noon today.... 2017 miles from home!

More pics are up at the yahoo photos site (it looks like my blog's server is down right now ) .... since I got frustrated and bought a new digicam yesterday, they're much nicer for the most part.

Anyway, will be pursuing local sources for good motorcycle oil tomorrow and taking it easy - if anyone knows a spot near here I can pick up some Golden Spectra blend, that'd be cool - I'd be up for a ride maybe around mid-day, too, if anyone's around.

Nick

Comment

This is a great thread

I just finished reading tuesdays report, excellent stuff

Ride safe 8)

Comment

Let me know if you?re coming through New Mexico.

Keep checking on weather there is a big storm heading our way that should be here on Thursday but may move through by the weekend. It's raining here right now and is actually warmer than yesterday. (45 F now with a high in the low 60's)

Comment

wrench - thanks, and thanks for following along - it's nice to know I have the big brothers and sisters of GSR out there somewhere.

Mdole - I am in NM right now (you can check the blog for details), will be hitting up Carlsbad Caverns in an hour or so and then continuing on to El Paso and thence to the Phoenix area. Too bad we didn't connect sooner... alas, the whirlwind nature of this trip (I knew I should have pushed the start date of my new job another week ) means I am skipping some opportunities to hang out & ride.

Here's a tidbit for the distance riders out there.... don't let anything flap in the wind if you're a long way between gas stops. I was wondering what happened to my mileage, and then think I gained back like 3-5 mpg just from cinching down my raincover so it won't wave like a flag. My fluid mechanics education at work!

Comment

Working...
                              X