Front tire blow out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front tire blow out

I have a not so pleasant GS story. I just recently brought back to life, my GS450 with the help of GS Resources. Thanks everyone. I finally got it registered last week and yesterday, I went out for a joyride. I was travelling about 35 mph. I felt the front end hop a little bit. I looked at the front tire and it seemed like it was losing air slowly. I figured I better head home. All of sudden the tire just went flat very suddenly. The whole front end started wobbling to the point where I could barely hold on to the bike. I managed to pull off to the side of the road without incident. I pulled out my cell phone and tried to call a friend, but my phone slipped from my hand and fell down the side embankment about 20 feet below. Upon impact my phone flew apart into three pieces. I scrambled down the hill and fell a few times getitng my clothes full of dirt. I found all the pieces and put it back together and thankfully it still worked. I called a friend to come pick me and the bike up. All is fine now with a brand new front tire. Will be replacing the back tire next payday.

I learned a very valuable lesson yesterday. Always check your tires for wear. After I brought back to life this bike, I neglected to replace the tires. I knew they were old and had some cracks in them. I wanted to save a little money, but investing in good tires is money well worth spent. It could have been alot worse. I could have ended up in the hospital.

Sounds like a close call! 8O Glad you escaped without serious incident. Had one kinda like that myself a long time ago.

I am very 'religous' when it comes to tires - they are your connection (or lack thereof, as you found out) to the road!

I check cold pressure and condition before every ride. Visually check at every stop, and a good close look when I get home, to catch surprises before my next ride.

And if they are cracked or hard, replace them. Always buy the best tire you can afford, they are definitely worth it! Same with helmets, gloves, etc.
    I totally understand the urge to ride, especially after a repair layoff - I've been there myself. But tires are 'cheap'...$60 - $100 for good ones...that same $100 won't even get your finger bandaged in the ER!

Again, I'm glad it wasn't worse, But consider yourself 'warned', and take the 'hint'.

BTW - An interesting observation: Go look at wheels/tires in a bike salvage yard sometime. Notice what percentage of them have cheap, torched, cracked tires...well over 80%! I can't help but think there's a message there...

Safe Travels,
    Ted

Comment

Over the many years and miles I've had flats on the rear tire 3 times while riding. All tubed tires. No blow outs but gradual to quick loss of air. Never lost a front while riding...hope I never do!

Comment

I took a nail in the front of my Seca when I was 17 and it lost air very quickly. I was able to wheel over to a service station that was right there and he plugged it for me which held me to my way over to Paparo for a new tire.

Very wierd fishy squirmy feeling. Not good. I feel for you man.

Comment

Working...
        X