Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm riding home. It's raining. My boss is PANICKING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm riding home. It's raining. My boss is PANICKING!

Not much of a story, but I'm just this moment preparing to head home after a hard day in the salt mines. It's about 60 degrees F and raining lightly. My ride home is about 65 miles, half interstate highway by the shortest route.

My boss, a Hardley-Ableson polishing noob, is PANICKING! He thinks riding in the rain is certain bloody DEATH! Even worse, it could put spots on the paint! Mud on the chrome! OH, THE HUMANITY!

He actually tried to order me to stay in Indy at his house tonight. Heh. This ain't the military.

In case you're wondering, I have over 15 years of safe riding experience, often in much worse conditions (like the Brown County SCUBA ride). I'm well-trained, experienced, and properly equipped. My tires are fairly new, and my bike is running great. Light rain is really no big deal. Really.

Anyone else have to deal with panicking non-riders or noobs? It's kinda funny, but pretty annoying, too. He finally gave up and went home.

I'll check back in about an hour and a half. Unless...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

I'm ALIIIIIIVE!!

Made it home just fine. Like I knew I would.

Not even any scares, really. The rain was light to heavy the whole trip.

I passed one guy on a Hardley. He looked pretty miserable in his silly half-helmet and useless, soggy leather. At least he wasn't cowering under an overpass.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Good job!

Dave

Comment

I ride in the rain all the time just because it is so much cheaper then driving my '72 IH to school everyday. The only person I know who gets real worried everytime I ride in the rain is my grandmother. 2 out of her 3 boys rode GS's (where I got mine ) and both of them had a spill in the rain. So anymore I just refuse to tell her what I am taking when I leave at any particular time.

Comment

Glad you made it home safe, well done 8)

Comment

Way to go. What's you boss gonna think when you start riding in the cold?!

Brad tt

Comment

Good Job Dude. I used to freak in the rain as I've heard horror stories, but I've ridden this GS in the rain (Florida Gushers) and have not had any trouble.

I have a Harley guy at work, Super - Super - nice guy. He's not prejudice at all, he just likes his old '86 Harley and he tells me that he keeps it straight as can be and is real careful. I'm getting brave, but not insane. Rain still intimitades me a bit, but not enough to NOT go home.

Good call and glad you made it safe.

Comment

Glad you got home safe!
                I wouldn't ride in the rain if you paid me.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The worst time with rain is when it starts.
                  It hasn't washed the oil and grime off the road.
                  Think "slip and slide" toys.

Let it rain and get really wet, then ride. It's washed off the oil,diesel fuel, tranny fluid,all the slippery stuff off the road.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Oh cpme on people!!! it is only rain!!!
                    Dink

Comment

Liquid sunshine!

Comment

Keith, I seem to recall one of your other posts saying that it just rained at your place for the first time since the spring. I'd say you have some reason to be wary of the rain. It's like anything else; you don't do it for a long time, you get rusty. Even after a few weeks of no rain riding, I'm a little careful, but I enjoy it, because it's a chance re-familiarize.

Like KBG says, once the initial rain has washed the crap off the surface, the degree of traction is not that different from dry pavement (compared to, say, driving on sand, gravel, ice etc).

Comment

Still don't like rain. The only time I've ridden in it is when I guessed the weather wrong and got caught. It's just something I don't need to do. Got my Blazer for the wet stuff.
                          I don't like the loss of traction, vision. I also don't like the fact that too many drivers out here won't slow down and it's THEY who forget how to drive in the rain.
                          I'd rather be a cager for the day and live to ride tomorrow.
                          "Liquid sunshine"? HA!! More like "liquid get my butt run over because someone couldn't see me through their wet windshield" sunshine!
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Bah it's not too bad... I commuted yesterday with weather.com promising me tons of clouds but no rain till 9pm... That was at 6am... by 9am they had changed thier weather forecast to say it was going to rain sometime between noon and 3pm.... The hairiest part of my hour ride home was stopping to get some gas... them gas stations are treacherous.

At least this time I was on my bike the last time I got caught in the rain it was a downpour and I couldn't see more than 40 - 50 feet in front of me and we hadn't installed a front fender on Nerobro's bike yet... Even it is wasn't for the downpour I woulda been soaked from the water wicking off the front wheel... I learned to keep my mouth shut in a hurry....

To toot my own horn a bit, I've only been riding for 3 and a half months. Already I've ridden through three rainstorms and two steady drizzles. Also made the commute in to work in 28 degree weather. A fool hardy thing with no real cold weather gear. I've been through these and made it through adding a bit more confidence in not only my ability as a rider but about myself in general. Learning about myself and my bike through adverse conditions. It really makes me feel good that it's something I can do, I know I can do and not everyone can or will do.

Comment

Rain at night is a big hassle to me. But my biggest weather worry is the fog that we get around here. Gets real thick and no visibility. Everybody tailgating one another because they can't see (and who's gonna' pass who?). Plus my visor fogs up on the outside constantly so I have to keep wiping that. We only have 2 lane roads around here and as usual we get a few head-ons because of the fog. Luckily I've missed a couple because I ride my GS and I don't take up too much room.

Comment

Working...
                              X