Roll-On Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll-On Performance

In a rather unscientific fashion, I decided to experiment; cruising along at 120kmh*, I rolled on the gas and started counting. I was up to 8 by the time I hit 160kmh*. Does that sound about right for a GS1150?

Granted, the roll-on was smooth as opposed to a rapid twist, and it was in 5th gear. Anybody else have similar results?

*all figures are hypothetical, ossifer!

Sounds a little on the slow side, only a little mind you .
    Dink

Comment

It sounds close to what my 1100 does. I hope it's about right, cause I always thought it was a little slow. I need a lot of road to get to 100.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I would guess a 5th gear roll on from 60 mph (100kph) to 100 mph (160 kph) would be about 4 seconds on my 1150. Zero to 100 mph/160kph is around 7 sec's. Then too, I dont weigh anything. :-) :-)

I know it goes past 100mph so easy and with so much acceleration, its downright insane. :-) :-)
        Earl

Originally posted by Dink
        Sounds a little on the slow side, only a little mind you .
        Dink
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well, you're just throwing down the gauntlet, aren't you Earl?! I'll have to get back out there and try a few repeat experiments.

Comment

Nah, not throwing down anything. :-) The bike is quick enough that I've never had occasion to complain about lack of power so I guess it doesnt matter if its faster or slower than another. Even a busa is only marginally quicker in the range that can be reasonably used on the street and that range is so small, it becomes a question of rider skill rather than HP. A GSXR1000
            is faster, but 99% of the guys riding one cant launch it, so the 1150 wins again. :-)

But, back to roll ons. I dont often do that type of contest, so my times are educated guesses. I've never stopwatched them. Probably wont either. :-) If I want to accelerate from 100kph, you arent going to see me in 5th gear. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by fast eddie
            Well, you're just throwing down the gauntlet, aren't you Earl?! I'll have to get back out there and try a few repeat experiments.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              If I want to accelerate from 100kph, you arent going to see me in 5th gear. LOL

Earl
              Earl you are missing half the fun I love roll-on contests with newer bikes, cause the Tractor always wins 8) even from 40kmh(25mph) she still walks away on almost anything.
              Dink

Comment

Now boys, you really must stop all of this poofing talk. "I take on all comers". Any one remember that young squirt???
                Ill rollon with anyone on the forums if you think you can take my honda torque monster. 8O :twisted: It is a record holder where poofing is concerned.
                It has been poofed by a stray cat once also. 8O 8O

Comment

Like in passing a slower vehicle?
                  Say from 100kmh/62mph?

My 1100E just twist and I'm around it.
                  The 1000S, pretty much the same, twist and away we go.

To make it fun....drop it down 1 or 2 gears and twist.

The 1100E takes throttle better when smoothly twisting.
                  The 1000S, twisting hard is more fun.

The 1100E pulls harder than the 1000S from most any rpm range.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Yeah, the new stuff doesnt have much unless they have 8 or 9 K on the tach. :-) heh heh The bear pulls smooth all the way up.

Earl

Originally posted by Dink

Earl you are missing half the fun I love roll-on contests with newer bikes, cause the Tractor always wins 8) even from 40kmh(25mph) she still walks away on almost anything.
                    Dink

Comment

I remember that young fella. I believe he said, "give me your bike and I'll take it to the limit". I declined the invitation. :-) If I had been silly enough to put him on the 1150, I think he would have splattered himself in very short order. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by scotty
                      "I take on all comers". Any one remember that young squirt???
                      Ill rollon with anyone on the forums if you think you can take my honda torque monster. 8O :twisted: It is a record holder where poofing is concerned.
                      It has been poofed by a stray cat once also. 8O 8O

Comment

Like I said, it's completely unscientific. I just love the 'slingshot' feel when you pull back on the gas, I have this mental image I'm Wile E. Coyote in a huge Acme slingshot, where he starts off slow and goes faster and faster...
                        It's not really stopwatched either, just me going "one thousand, two thousand..." Plus it's no contest - 95% of the population has put away their bikes already. Wimps! Just coz its raining, there's tons of leaves on the ground and its about 5deg C out...

Comment

Watch out for the wet leaves. There's nothing more frightening than a pack of attack trained leaves. :-) I was tearing through a nice little "S" curve a while back and in the curve, there is a large oak tree that shades the apex of the 2nd half of the curve. Well, the farmer had just cut the grass alongside the road and thrown a 20 foot wide patch of wet grass completely across both lanes. It was verrrry interesting for a couple of seconds. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by fast eddie
                          95% of the population has put away their bikes already. Wimps! Just coz its raining, there's tons of leaves on the ground and its about 5deg C out...

Comment

Not to worry, I have a healthy respect for leaves on the ground. Fortunately, they're mostly concentrated along the sides of the road in the residential parts, the main roads are pretty much clear.

Comment

I love the slingshot effect also. :-) My problem is trying to hold down the speed. I passed a tractor trailer rig today that was going about 45 mph.
                              An opening appeared in oncoming traffic, I pulled out and nailed the throttle.
                              By the time I cleared his front bumper, the speedo was passing 100 mph.
                              I just gotta remember to only use about 1/4 throttle for passing. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="fast eddie"]
                              Like I said, it's completely unscientific. I just love the 'slingshot' feel when you pull back on the gas, I have this mental image I'm Wile E. Coyote in a huge Acme slingshot, where he starts off slow and goes faster and faster...

Comment

Working...
                              X