Call me Misquito Man !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me Misquito Man !!

Friday night I put new brakes on my beloved bike and the package had info that read I needed to break them in with 250 miles of use. Hmmmm. Well it don't take me too long to figure that one out. Saturday I'm doing my ,you got it, "break in procedure", and I figure I'm going to stop at a bar and grill and have a quick bite. Lots of H.D. and the crowd that goes with it. This guy comes up to me and says " Got a flyswatter?". I'm thinking" OK, Whats the joke?". I say," What?", and he says," To kill that misquito!". Well long story short , him and all his buddies thought my bike sounds like an annoying little misquito. They thought it would be fun to shoot it in the tank and get rid of it. Needless to say I went off a little. Well it went on for a bit and then they took off. I also left about 10 min. later and there they were about a half mile down the road at another bar. Go figure! That was the first time that has happened to me in years. Well no harm no foul I guess.

Ya gotta feel sorry for the Harley guys. At one time the 'big' 74 cubic inch Hog ruled, displacement wise...all 1200cc. Now 1200cc doesn't even get you in the power cruiser shootouts in the magazines! The Hog was the biggest motorcycle around physically. Now go look at a 60's panhead. Seems small by today's standards, kinda cute without a windshield 8O . The AMA's Motorcycle museum has one on display that you are allowed , in fact, encouraged, to sit on and so you do and you're thinking, 'nice motorbike'. Today's metric cruisers and the Victory dwarf the old Harley and are bigger than the new, oh yes, and let us not forget the Triumph Rocket 3, and severe overkill...the Boss Hoss in your choice of 300+ or 500+ HP V8 engines, whatever your wallet can stand.

Harley-Davidson bikes are no longer the biggest or the baddest. And the V-Rod (which I actually like) sales wise, ought to be called the Flopster.

The Harley guys are living on water that already turned the millwheel.

Comment

Some people are motorcyclists that choose to ride a Harley, and some are just Harley drivers with a fashion statement. :-)

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes. And that water turned the mill wheel a long time ago really. Not to mention Triumph probably always made a better sickle than H-D anyway.

Comment

My next door neighbor is a Harley rider. He never waves or speaks and he cranks that potato popper up, goes back in the house and lets it run and run and run, keeping my kids awake at night :x What is it with the attitudes? I'm nice to everybody on two wheels, but it doesn't always come back to you. And another thing, how does somebody have the audacity to say somethin' rude about your bike?!!! O.k i'm off the soapbox

Comment

A month ago my entire rig, all four crews were required to attend a 2 day pre-job meeting in my town as we prepared to go to work for BP. There are a number of Harley riders who work opposite me (I am home when they are on the rig). The weather was OK so I rode my ZRX1100 to the class on day 1. Needless to say on one of the breaks the Harley guys gathered around to make a point to criticize my Jap Crap. One idiot among the bunch even blatantly challenged me to race his hopped up Cam 88 Soft-tail sometime. I asked him if he was serious. "Hell yeah, I can smoke any little jap bike." I grinned the grin of satisfaction. "Dude, I said, if you ever get the nerve we will get together and go for slips. Better yet, after I win yours I will part out your American Iron on Ebay piece by piece, all $27,000 chrome plated bit of it."
            After the meeting I did a burn out, out of the parking lot. I just don't do wheelies.

Comment

The 'Hardly Dangerous' debate is nothing new. It's been around longer than I have and it will keep going and going until the end of time.

During one of my many moments of introspection while riding I counted how long I've been screwing around on bikes. So far it's getting close to 20 years, with a couple of years off while in the Navy. In that time I think I've seen and experienced every kind of attitude. The one thing I've realized after all this time is that all kinds of people come and go. Some of them are knuckleheads on knuckleheads. Some of them are knuckleheads on sport bikes. Most are fun and interesting.

There are a lot of Harley riders here in South Florida. When I meet one that snears at my 'Jap' bike it doesn't bother me because I know the next biker I meet may be the coolest one yet. Besides, chances are that the snearing Harley guy is going to crash his $25k bike after getting drunk at the next bar anyway (hopefully without hurting anyone else).

So then who's laughing? The hurt dumb guy with no bike or me who will hopefully be riding for another 20 years?

Comment

Memorable comment I got :
                "Sounds like my grandmothers sewing machine."
                This was after I had to look at my tach to see if it had started or not, I could not hear it after he started his.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Rob, if you really, really, want to "bug" them, open the throttle until you blow past them, then roll over in front, and stay
                  j u s t a little bit ahead.

Be THEIR leader.

I don't think I would recommend stayng there for a long time, but a minute or two should to the trick.

I have had an entire H-D group ride pull over and stop when I did that. 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                    Rob, if you really, really, want to "bug" them, open the throttle until you blow past them, then roll over in front, and stay

Be THEIR leader.

I don't think I would recommend stayng there for a long time, but a minute or two should to the trick.

I have had an entire H-D group ride pull over and stop when I did that. 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                    Thats funny Ron

I can picture the group pulling over and saying WTF

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas

Be THEIR leader.

ROTFLMAO Ron what an excellent idea!!!
                      Dink

Comment

Go out and press his engine cut off switch.....

That should "baffle" him for awhile.
                        Most HD riders don't know what it is or how to use it.

Some cities and towns up here now have sound laws.
                        The police have decible meters in use, not just for booming cars stereos
                        but motorcycles also.

Check with your local police........

Originally posted by Georgiaboy
                        My next door neighbor is a Harley rider. He never waves or speaks and he cranks that potato popper up, goes back in the house and lets it run and run and run, keeping my kids awake at night :x What is it with the attitudes? I'm nice to everybody on two wheels, but it doesn't always come back to you. And another thing, how does somebody have the audacity to say somethin' rude about your bike?!!! O.k i'm off the soapbox
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

My stepfather is a Harley Sportster owner. He has a habit of starting his hunk of metal at 5:30 EVERY morning, no matter what, saying that it's just to get the oil flowing again. It needs it though, seeing that it pee's oil everynight, and drinks every liter he puts in.
                          When I used to ride a Yamaha xj750 Seca, he wouldnt let my bike anywhere NEAR his...... we have a large three door garage, with 3 parking spots for cars. My bike HAD to be in the far corner, as far away from his "beast".
                          I wasnt allowed to use his tools either, incase some of that Jap Crap rubbed off, and transfered to his.......... thing. He is one of those "Mines a Harley, dont speak to me" kinda guys.

You can probably tell, we didnt/dont get on too well.

Comment

Time for My favorite Harley Story. One of my best friends in High School had Motorcycle in his Blood. His Family ran an Independent Shop and they worked on Everything From Harley to Ducati to Norton, but they were the Only Place to get a Harley worked on for about 75 miles around. One Afternoon we were hanging around the shop when a Small guy on a Big Harley rode up. I think he just wanted to Blow Smoke up us Kids Tail Pipe. He was wearing a Gang Leather Jacket an went on for an Hour or so
                            about his adventures, gang fights and such. When he went to leave He COULDN'T start his Bike (kick start, pre electric start model) My buddy had to kick start the bike so the guy could leave! I haven't personally experienced ant Anti Jap Crap from Harley guys but if and when I do I will wonder If they started their own bike
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Re: Call me Misquito Man !!

Originally posted by RobGS850L
                              This guy comes up to me and says " Got a flyswatter?". I'm thinking" OK, Whats the joke?". I say," What?", and he says," To kill that misquito!". Well long story short , him and all his buddies thought my bike sounds like an annoying little misquito. They thought it would be fun to shoot it in the tank and get rid of it. Needless to say I went off a little. Well it went on for a bit and then they took off. I also left about 10 min. later and there they were about a half mile down the road at another bar. Go figure! That was the first time that has happened to me in years. Well no harm no foul I guess.
                              Had this happened in Texas - there would have been a showdown at high noon ... we'd have met at the oil well in the town square 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X