'Automatic' choke knob cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Automatic' choke knob cure

I have seen several posts about the choke knob on the handle bar not staying up with the bike running (thus the automatic part). My new 550L had the same problem, until I borrowed one of the wife's clothes pins, you know, the wood ones. I put my key chain through the spring so that it's always with me, and it holds the choke up just fine. I think this is a little easier than the vise grips idea I saw, though hitting the starter with your elbow was also a good idea
    Jason

Hi
    On my 1000GL,I just tightend the locking nut .

Comment

I just made a loop out of a cable tie and use it to hold the clutch lever close enough to the left grip to satisfy the interlock. That leaves my left hand free to hold up the choke. After it is running I slip the loop over the choke knob to carry it.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Einar J Skog
        Hi
        On my 1000GL,I just tightend the locking nut .
        Sssshhhhh. That's too easy. Let them have their fun.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Clarification

To clarify this problem, there is no locking, adjusting, tweaking anything located on or near the choke cable or carbuerator on my bike. There could be two reasons for this, either the 550L uses a cheaper cable that doesn't have provisions for adjustment or the choke cable on mine and several other members has been replaced with an aftermarket cable that doesn't have any adjustment. I would like to hear from the others who have work arounds for this to find out if it is factory set up or not. I stand by my suggestion because it works for me and is very simple and no it's not fun, riding is fun, and getting the bike running is critical to riding.
          Jason

Comment

All cables are adjustable. Your choke may not stay up as a result of one of the pinchers being broken off around the choke shaft or the lock ring/tension adjuster is not tight enough.
            Under the pull knob there should be a rubber dust cover. Lift this up and you should see a knurled tension adjuster ring. Loosen it first and pull up and clean the exposed shaft. It shouldn't have lube on it either. Then tighten it slowly until you have the tension you need. DON"T overtighten. These things jam and break the little pinchers easily.
            If you did notice a pincher missing, then the whole choke cable and knob are sold as an assembly.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

AFter playing with various gizmos to hold the knob up (a .357 shell casing is about the right length...) Eventually I eliminated the clutch interlock entirely.

Now I hold the knob up with my left hand!!!

Comment

I will swap you.. My choke needs a good hard pull to get it out and then after a couple of minutes warming up I have to stop the bike to push it all the way in. When I bought the bike I needed to use a pair of pliers and a lever to get the thing to move at all, so its much better now....

..the solution may be to clean off all the oil or grease and allow the ferrous oxide to do its business for a week or two???
                CJ

Comment

Working...
                X