Runaway GS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runaway GS!

I recently bought a GS1100GL. I was doing some tuning the other day and I hit the starter button while I stood beside the bike. I didn't know it but the previuous owner had undoubdtedly disabled the switch that keeps the bike from starting while in gear with the clutch out. It fired off immediately as it always does and tried to leave me 8O I got it stopped choking it down with the front brake and amazingly didn't fall with it. If you're a new owner, don't assume it works! If you're selling your GS and this switch doesn't work, let the new owner know. It's not an issue if you know but a big potential problem if you don't. 8)

I find all these new-fangled gizmos a royal pain in the ass! My '78 750 doesn't have that stupid clutch switch, AND it has the choke on the carbs!

I'm going to bypass that clutch switch on my '82 1100, and I have already done so on my '83 1100. I bypassed the clutch switch on a pickup I had, BUT I hooked it up again before I sold it. Wouldn't want someone suing me! 8O
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Kevin......

"new fangled"???? The bikes are 20+ years old.

It's a safety feature, let it do it's job.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Well Keith, :-) :-) :-) they're too "newfangled" for me also. There are no safety lockout switches on my 1150 or 750. I figure if I'm not smart enough to locate neutral and either hold the front brake lever or pull in the clutch lever before pressing the starter button, I deserve to be run over by my own bike. heh heh

My biggest criticism of safety features such as that is, "thought not required" habits develop. If one starts a bike correctly, there is no need of a clutch safety switch.

Earl

Originally posted by KGB

Kevin......

"new fangled"???? The bikes are 20+ years old.

It's a safety feature, let it do it's job.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]My biggest criticism of safety features such as that is, "thought not required" habits develop. If one starts a bike correctly, there is no need of a clutch safety switch.

Earl

Amen to that!

Comment

I normally don't start the bike like that but once every two or three years.......I make a mistake! Gimme a break guys! 8O

Comment

Yeah guys, down here in Georgia, that's how we start them. We just push the button and ride them until the big motor kicks in. I find it gets me a little further down the road than sitting there waiting for the bike to warm up.

Don't worry Georgiaboy, being your neighbor and all I'll vouch for you. You just have to promise not to let it happen again. No more driveway stunt riding. I think the GSR already has a man in that dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgiaboy
                I normally don't start the bike like that but once every two or three years.......I make a mistake! Gimme a break guys! 8O
                Nothing bad intended towards you at all. Please acept my apologies . To be honest one of my big mistakes was looking back to talk to another rider and I unknowingly veered off the road and lets just say I missed work for a few days. #-o Then there was the time I..............
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by jtcrespo
                  Yeah guys, down here in Georgia, that's how we start them. We just push the button and ride them until the big motor kicks in. I find it gets me a little further down the road than sitting there waiting for the bike to warm up.

Don't worry Georgiaboy, being your neighbor and all I'll vouch for you. You just have to promise not to let it happen again. No more driveway stunt riding. I think the GSR already has a man in that dept.

You got to "git r done" however you've got to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by RobGS850L
                    Nothing bad intended towards you at all. Please acept my apologies . To be honest one of my big mistakes was looking back to talk to another rider and I unknowingly veered off the road and lets just say I missed work for a few days. #-o Then there was the time I..............
                    Rob
                    No problem Rob any fan of the Blues Brothers is a friend o mine 8)

Comment

Mayonaise a lot of crazy people in here!:roll:

Comment

:-) :-) :-) Just the same, you dont think we will let youlive that one down do ya? LOL

Earl :-)

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]:-) :-) :-) Just the same, you dont think we will let youlive that one down do ya? LOL

Earl :-)

I'd be disappointed in you if you did!!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                            My biggest criticism of safety features such as that is, "thought not required" habits develop. If one starts a bike correctly, there is no need of a clutch safety switch.

Earl
                            WOA!!!! Earl, not all bikes are made the same, my voyager 1300 will not engage the starter if the clutch IS pulled!!
                            it liked to drove me nuts when I picked it up and the starter wouldn't engage.

Comment

As I inferred, bikes are intended to be started in neutral. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                              WOA!!!! Earl, not all bikes are made the same, my voyager 1300 will not engage the starter if the clutch IS pulled!!
                              it liked to drove me nuts when I picked it up and the starter wouldn't engage.

Comment

Working...
                              X