My buddy took a spill tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy took a spill tonight

About two hours ago my good friend and his son were coming to meet me and on the way they swerved to miss a deer and went down on his Indian. He got some rash and is being x rayed now, his son went in the grass and is doing well. They're both going to be o.k. He said before they wheeled him in "never leave home without your leathers and helmet. Good advice, and for those that live in the south....be watchful for the pesky deer this time of the year!!

Sorry to hear about your friend's accident, hopefully the x-rays are clear.

Animals are another hazard we all must be very aware of, a woman my wife works with was returning (at night) from Jasper this fall with her husband on thier Wing when a moose walked onto the road. For those that haven't had the pleasure of seeing one of these beasts up close they're huge and BLACK. Her husband managed to slow slightly but still the animals head took out the windshield and both riders.

Did about $10000 damage to the bike two helmets and two sets of leathers. They were lucky - highway 40 is very remote and travelled mostly by logging and oilfield trucks.

Anyway, I hope everyone is Ok.

Dan.

Comment

I hope they are both okay. Deer are an unpredictable road hazzard. And road rash sucks more than broken bones...

Hap

Comment

Was out riding 2 weeks ago on route 9 in New Hampshire at about 70 mph when a deer shot out in front of me. Missed my front tire by about 15 feet.

That put the fear of god into me!

This time of year (deer hunting season) there are lots of deer getting flushed out of thier habitat by hunters. Riders and cars need to be on the lookout for confused deer right now.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have a theory that in the future, mother nature will finally evolve deer, moose, possums, raccoons, dogs, cats, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, and crows that have an instinct to look both ways.

I ran over a MOUSE yesterday in my car, fer cryin' out loud. Poor lil' feller. I have no idea why a mouse was trying to cross the highway, but he almost made it.

I would have been able to avoid the mouse, but I couldn't swerve because some moron had been glued to my blind spot (bumper even with my back door) in the adjoining lane for the last ten miles. The highway was nearly deserted, but no matter how slow or fast I went, there she stayed. I hope that mouse haunts her car.

I have no idea why I decided to share that...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I would have been able to avoid the mouse, but I couldn't swerve because some moron had been glued to my blind spot (bumper even with my back door) in the adjoining lane for the last ten miles. The highway was nearly deserted, but no matter how slow or fast I went, there she stayed. I hope that mouse haunts her car.
            Dude, that's when you start driving like a drunk and make like you are having trouble staying within the lines! I would have slowly drifted into her lane, all the while altering my speed, then all of a sudden make a quick movement back into your lane like you were falling asleep at the wheel or something. I love messing with people who drive like idiots- even though sometimes I endanger the safety of myself and others while doing so. Ummm, I probably shouldn't have said that last part... I should be ashamed...
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had four deer dart out at me, and all were close enough to reach out and touch. :-)

Earl

[quote="Jethro"]
              Was out riding 2 weeks ago on route 9 in New Hampshire at about 70 mph when a deer shot out in front of me. Missed my front tire by about 15 feet.

That put the fear of god into me!
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

It's not the hunters flushing them......

They're horny!! It's mating season
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  Dude, that's when you start driving like a drunk and make like you are having trouble staying within the lines! I would have slowly drifted into her lane, all the while altering my speed, then all of a sudden make a quick movement back into your lane like you were falling asleep at the wheel or something. I love messing with people who drive like idiots- even though sometimes I endanger the safety of myself and others while doing so. Ummm, I probably shouldn't have said that last part... I should be ashamed...
                  Why am I not surprised at all to see advice like this from a "Mad Max" fan?

LMAO!

Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer

I have no idea why I decided to share that...
                    Usually the person doing the pacing is on the verge of falling asleep, drunk, or mentally drifting. I like to give them a wake up call. First I turn on my blinker like I'm going to turn into their lane. Usually takes less than a second to hear them honk due to the fact that these people also LOVE to point out other people's driving issues. If they don't respond to that, I turn on my hazards, make sure nothing is behind me, and then slam on the brakes. If you look carefully, you can actually see the thought process of the person as you go by.

1) "Why is this idiot slamming on his brakes?", as they turn their heads to the back to watch you go by. At this point, reach an arm up and point forward.

Here's the priceless moment.

2) OH CRAP!, I'm not looking forward and there may be something in the road that this guy saw and I didn't. Nothing wakes someone up as well as sheer panic.

Oh yeah, I once ran up on a moose on a gravel road in Wyoming, it wasn't pretty! But I didn't hit the moose.

Comment

Update on buddy

Hey my buddy is talking now. Road rash on the side of his face, skull fractured in 3 places, broken nose, broken cheek bone. 8O I think he was wearing one of those "brainpan" helmets. You know, the worthless ones that sit on top of yer head? I'd never go out without full face, even in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                        Hey Jethro, I can dig it. I hate tailgaters :x Nothin' like a good "brake job" every once in a while too. My wife is trying to get me into counselling :twisted:

Comment

Sorry to hear about your buddy. Gald to hear he's getting better.

Comment

Maybe now he will get a real helmet 8O What kind of helmet was the son wearing?? Glad he is going to recover.

Comment

Re: Update on buddy

Originally posted by Georgiaboy
                              Hey my buddy is talking now. Road rash on the side of his face, skull fractured in 3 places, broken nose, broken cheek bone. 8O I think he was wearing one of those "brainpan" helmets. You know, the worthless ones that sit on top of yer head? I'd never go out without full face, even in the summer

One wants to believe he is now appreciating the "freedom of choice" he apparently exercised in his choice of headwear, if any.

With luck, he will be able to get back on his bike in a short time, and maybe he will have learned some aditional consideration for safety equipment, for himself and his family.
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X