Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have crossed over!

I have always been told there are two type of motorcyle rders:
    Those who have wrecked and those who will wreck.

I have go from the will side to the have side!

2 days from the 1 year mark of having my license I laid her over!
    I was riding home from school about noon and it started freezing raining. It had been raining for about 5 minutes and I came up to a stoplight. I made a left turn and as I was coming out and caught 2nd gear my almost bald rear tire lost traction and out from under me she went! I bailed out with only a scrapped knee luckily. :roll: The only damage to my bike was the redneck highway bar and my shifter. My pride was bruised a bit as well. I have officially crossed over!

Re: I have crossed over!

I have had three crashes and would rather not have had any. I crashed because either I wasnt paying attention, or I didnt use reasonable care.
    I survived by luck. It certainly wasnt skill.
    You were riding on a bald tire. ................That will get you killed!
    You were riding on a bald tire in the rain. ...That will get you killed twice!
    You bumped 2nd gear in a turn, in the rain, on a bald tire. ...........That is really DUMB!
    I would prefer not to be reading your obit on the board, but unless you take this hobby more seriously, I expect I will be.
    You didnt have traction in the those conditions. Do you think if you had gone down in front of an oncoming car that the cager would have had any more traction? Nope! SPLAT!!!!!
    Someone just gave you three free passes. The next one might not be free. I'm glad luck was on your side and youre still here. I would try to be sure there isnt a next time. Luck is fickle.

Earl

Originally posted by WesV
    I have always been told there are two type of motorcyle rders:
    Those who have wrecked and those who will wreck.

2 days from the 1 year mark of having my license I laid her over!
    I was riding home from school about noon and it started freezing raining. It had been raining for about 5 minutes and I came up to a stoplight. I made a left turn and as I was coming out and caught 2nd gear my almost bald rear tire lost traction and out from under me she went! I bailed out with only a scrapped knee luckily. :roll: The only damage to my bike was the redneck highway bar and my shifter. My pride was bruised a bit as well. I have officially crossed over!
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by WesV
      Let us know if you figure out how to go back...

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        I have had three crashes and would rather not have had any. I crashed because either I wasnt paying attention, or I didnt use reasonable care.
        I survived by luck. It certainly wasnt skill.
        You were riding on a bald tire. ................That will get you killed!
        You were riding on a bald tire in the rain. ...That will get you killed twice!
        You bumped 2nd gear in a turn, in the rain, on a bald tire. ...........That is really DUMB!
        I would prefer not to be reading your obit on the board, but unless you take this hobby more seriously, I expect I will be.
        You didnt have traction in the those conditions. Do you think if you had gone down in front of an oncoming car that the cager would have had any more traction? Nope! SPLAT!!!!!
        Someone just gave you three free passes. The next one might not be free. I'm glad luck was on your side and youre still here. I would try to be sure there isnt a next time. Luck is fickle.

Sorry WesV, but I have to go with Earl on this one. Almost every time I have ever crashed or have come close to it, it has been traced back to something I did wrong. Anything can happen at any time, so don't push your luck.
        I am gald you are okay, but please do your best to keep yourself out of the "Will Crash Again" category.

It was good to see your post looking for a new tire in the tech section. Good Job!

Comment

You were very fortunate! Let's hope you don't have any worse problems. I just got back in the saddle this week, and dropped it on the first day. And I, too, could've avoided it with some simple checks when I brought it home for the first time. But I put my trust into the original owner. Who, unfortunately, did more to make sure I was riding home a gem than a safe bike.

REPLACE THOSE TIRES!!! They're cheaper than medical bills.

Brad tt

Comment

Ride carefully in the future. Say a prayer of thanks before bed tonight.

Now go in peace and sin no more! :twisted:

Comment

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! dont worry, you've already hazed yourself! :P

Comment

Hehe. My big one was when I was about 18.

Did you know that gunning it while leaned in to a turn is bad? Even more so when it is spring in N Texas and there is sand in the intersection.

And! a Kawasaki KZ400 will happily run itself in a neat circle if it is stuck in gear and has a crash guard that keeps the rear tire in contact with the ground when on it's side....

Comment

I'm glad you are okay. Having crashed numerous times, I will not criticize you because that would be throwing stones in a glass house. I hope you learn from this experience (sometimes I do learn, sometimes I don't) and become a better rider because of it...and I'm sure you will!

Hap

Comment

Have I learned a little more about riding? Yes!

Earl,
                    In my defense, I was planning on replacing the tire before this happened but was trying to hold off another 2 weeks or so till another pay check came in. And as I said it is almost bald, not completely there is still a little tread left but it is minimal and I doubt it will pass inspection next month anyway. As for the rain part, when I left for classes that morning the sun was shining and showed no evidence of rain. I have been avoiding riding in the rain for the last month because of this but this time it was unavoidable. I took the entire way home much slower then usual and didn't have any problems till that point.

As far as the shifting to second, that was the one mistake that I could have prevented at that specific point and time. Because of the rain I had been shifting sooner to keep my RPMs down well below the max torque and HP range to prevent slippage. Well normally on dry pavement I power out of that curve in first till about 6K and shift because from there it heads up a small mountian. In my hopes of keeping the RPMs down I shifted before I was fully out of the curve at about 3.5-4k. I know not to do that now and I do count my blessings that it was a low speed incident.

Comment

As far as the shifting to second, that was the one mistake that I could have prevented at that specific point and time.
                      Wait a minute, wait a minute...

In my defense, I was planning on replacing the tire before this happened but was trying to hold off another 2 weeks or so till another pay check came in.
                      So you should have taken the car, or bus or walked...

it is almost bald, not completely there is still a little tread left but it is minimal and I doubt it will pass inspection next month anyway.
                      If it won't pass inspection it's for a reason- it's unsafe...

So I count three things! Just to be fair, I've made all three of these mistakes myself- as well as kissing the pavement. Be carefull out there, the world needs more GS'ers, not less!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Wes:

Just trying to make a point in a manner that you would remember. :-)
                        Not trying to flame you at all.

Earl

[quote="WesV"]
                        Have I learned a little more about riding? Yes!

Earl,
                        In my defense, I was planning on replacing the tire before this happened but was trying to hold off another 2 weeks or so till another pay check came in. And as I said it is ................................
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Wes:

Just trying to make a point in a manner that you would remember. :-)
                          Not trying to flame you at all.

Earl

Thanks for clearing that up Earl,
                          I kinda hoped that was what you meant, but not being on here long enough to get to know your mannerisms sometimes makes it hard. Point was well taken and clear!

Comment

Wes,
                            Glad you came thru with minimal damage.

And also glad you say you learned from this.

Hindsight....yea that line of it being 20/20.......but always look ahead.

Speaking of looking ahead, try no get into a MSF course.
                            Pa and VA both have strong programs.

www.msf-usa.org use the search to find a program in your area.

And don't do that again!
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB

Speaking of looking ahead, try no get into a MSF course.
                              Pa and VA both have strong programs.

www.msf-usa.org use the search to find a program in your area.
                              Taking the Basic course will make you better rider, no question. With more skills you'll be safer and get more out of riding than you could probably imagine. A good instructor will teach you about riding and bike maintenance so you'll win two times.

Comment

Working...
                              X