Damn toll booths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn toll booths

This is a technique I recently thought of.

Ever have troubles at the toll booths if you are riding with winter weight gloves? Obviously, I have. I have a tank bag which has a perfect pocket right up front, but I wear big thick gloves if it's below 50 and I ride. I take those big paper clamps- you know, they look like a black triangle with two handles to open the clamp- don't know what they are called, but I stole some from the office. I put two quarters in a few of them and keep them in my tank bag. Pull up to the toll, unzip the pocket, grab a clamp with my gloves, and squeeze the thing right over the hopper.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Cool idea! (Ugh, I can't believe I said that. Sorry about the pun.)

Those are called "binder's clips," by the way.

Dave

Comment

Re: Damn toll booths

Originally posted by Jethro
      This is a technique I recently thought of.

Ever have troubles at the toll booths if you are riding with winter weight gloves? Obviously, I have. I have a tank bag which has a perfect pocket right up front, but I wear big thick gloves if it's below 50 and I ride. I take those big paper clamps- you know, they look like a black triangle with two handles to open the clamp- don't know what they are called, but I stole some from the office. I put two quarters in a few of them and keep them in my tank bag. Pull up to the toll, unzip the pocket, grab a clamp with my gloves, and squeeze the thing right over the hopper.
      Bravo. Perfect. I will use this. I have always hated being on a trip and seeing toll booths approaching on the horizon. Run the whole glove off/change scramble/glove on routine and hope you don't drop a glove in the road somewhere in the process. I will keep clips loaded with various amounts in the front of my tankbag.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

AH, YES! Binder clips!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Excellent idea - thanks for sharing! As little highway riding as I do (back roads are more fun ) I can't really justify getting a transpass for the bike. That, and my general aversion to allowing my movements to be tracked. That whole personal privacy thing, ya know. This way, I can keep using good old fashioned cash. Or coins, as the case may be.

And even better if you know in advance exactly how much each toll is going to be. For a trip from Maine to Mass, for example, I'd make a line of 50? to get on the Pike, $1.50 for the York toll, and $1 for Hampton, NH. Reverse for the trip back, except I'd bail in Gray to skip the last toll heading north. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Zook
            Reverse for the trip back, except I'd bail in Gray to skip the last toll heading north.
            The first time I read through this sentence I thought you were saying you'd use the clip to hold your bail money.

I guess I should pay more attention. Sorry.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad
              Originally posted by Zook
              Reverse for the trip back, except I'd bail in Gray to skip the last toll heading north.
              The first time I read through this sentence I thought you were saying you'd use the clip to hold your bail money.

I guess I should pay more attention. Sorry.

Dave
              Hey you never know, there is a State Trooper base in Gray...

Comment

What's a toll booth? LOL

Comment

If you wheelie thru the toll booth, they can't read your license plate on the complimentary photo you get- Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                    If you wheelie thru the toll booth, they can't read your license plate on the complimentary photo you get- Priceless.
                    Speeds in excess of 70mph also will do the trick :twisted:

Comment

I'm confused. If they can't read your license plate, how do they know where to send the complimentary photo?

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I like the tip, but down here if you pull up on a bike at the toll booth you get waved through without paying anyway.... Next time I will try the wheelie tecnique, but isnt that just plain rude?

Oh, hang on, at the booth there is a price displayed for bikes, however, the traffic law dictates that motorcyles are illegal on the toll roads! Not that I or anyone I know has been stopped, but urban legend has it that one guy was stopped and made to turn around and use the "old" road, then again, he was supposed to be riding a Harley!!! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                          I'm confused.

Does that happen often?

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                            I'm confused.
                            Does that happen often?
                            Only when tryiing to make sense of something that doesn't. Or perhaps you would like to post for us the complimentary photo which the toll authorities who could not read your license plate sent to you after you wheelied through a booth.

Nature bats last.

Comment

If you sit there with your chin propped up long enough you just may figure it out- or maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                              X