Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rear Shocks - Questions, Feedback, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rear Shocks - Questions, Feedback, etc.

How many of you have replaced your original shocks on your GS? Mine still have some 'spring' and rebound to them, but at 20+ years old I imagine they're not at the top of their game.

Has anyone noticed an improvement after replacing shocks? Cycle-Recycle-2 has Emgo replacement shocks for $89 a pair.

I read on the Progressive motorcyclce suspension page they recommend a slightly longer shock/spring to lift the rear and quicken the steering. Makes sense in a way...and I'm not going to argue these bikes need help in handling compared to today's machines.

So...CRC2 shows 335mm application for the 77-79 GS550. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm

I guess I can measure what I have now...and see if I should go with the 335mm or 340mm.

Any thoughts?

~Adam

shocks

Stock shocks when new are a compromise between handling and ride, they do there job well for the purpose but if you want to improve the handleing then after market are a must I have rebuildable Konis on my 1000 and work well, as far as emgo your just putting a shock back on that meets OEM specs there not any thing special a good shock will cost a min. of twice there price, you get what you pay for, if you love the twisties then go a better shock, and do the front springs while your at it

Comment

I like my front spring setup, its very stiff compared to my other 550 and another I felt. It's had fork seals done before, but I'm not sure about the springs. I really don't want to get into fork until necessary...

Your points about performance vs. OEM shocks sounds valid. Progressive shocks START at $300, I do believe.

~Adam

Comment

The Emgos will hold the back end up, but that's about it. They might be an improvement over the sagged out stockers. You need something better for those NC backroads!

The next step up is Progressive, which is what I use. They've held up well on my much heavier bike. The damping isn't adjustable, but preload is.

Dennis Kirk http://denniskirk.com lists 12 series shocks for $165.99 and the black springs for $58.99, a total of $224.98. I'd get the heavier weight 95/140 springs if I were you.

To get adjustable damping, you'd have to step up to Konis, Ohlins, Penke, or something like that, which means SERIOUS dough.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

well this doesn't make much sense...

All the shocks on Dennis Kirk from progressive are 12.5 inch or 13 inch. The Emgo stuff is 235 or 245 mm...which equates to only about 9.5 inches.

Does progressive use uncompressed shock length only?

Next questions...spring rates? I'll have to look at see what is original...I hope the service manual says.

~Adam

Comment

bwringer, do you have to have a spring compressor to install the springs onto the shocks, then onto the bike?

Bikebandit actually has the springs for $56 a pair (heavy duty 95/140 rating) and the shocks for $156 a pair.

~Adam

Comment

Works Performance is another good choice. Aluminum bodied street trackers. They're not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either. They build em to your weight and riding style.

I found the Konis were way off the mark. All I found with them was getting jettisoned off the seat farther when I hit a bump.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I looked up Works page, they only have 83-86 GS550's...so they're out of the question.

Looks like bikebandit is the lowest for Progressive.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                  bwringer, do you have to have a spring compressor to install the springs onto the shocks, then onto the bike?

Bikebandit actually has the springs for $56 a pair (heavy duty 95/140 rating) and the shocks for $156 a pair.

~Adam
                  I bought a pair of the Progressive 12 series shocks last summer after riding on 22 year old sacked out stockers. Also installed Progressive fork springs. Yes. a spring compressor has to be used to install the springs but then the shocks just bolt up with no problem. I also had the advantage of useing a bike jack, but the center stand will work if just doing the shocks. I found that they were well worth the money. I'm not into street racing or anything too demanding anymore so they work well for me. I also got the heavier rate springs as I weigh 250lbs and my shocks are still on the softest position so I have plenty adjustment as I can't see myself dropping 100 lbs. I got all my stuff through dennis kirk and got them right away with no hassle.

Comment

By the way. Check shipping costs before buying one place rather than another. dennis kirk has no shipping charges for over $100.00 purchases. Other places may be cheaper, but charge the difference or more for shipping. Something to watch out for.

Comment

Jeff, thanks for the heads up.

I don't own a spring compressor...nor have I done this before, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into if I buy them seperately...

~Adam

Comment

I didn't use a spring compressor when I put my Progressive shocks/springs together. I just used the retaining clip, the cap that comes with the shock, and the floor. As I recall I might have said a prayer or two that I didn't pinch anything during the process. But it all worked out in the end. And I still have all my fingers.

Steve

Comment

If you don't plan on changing springs often, or at all again, take your shocks and springs to a dealer/mechanic and have them install them. It costs about the same as the tool unless you're in pretty good with them and then they might just do it for free. It might save you from eating your own teeth. It's a quick 5 minute job.

Comment

I agree wholey with Jeff.
                            We're about the same size, weight wise.
                            I did Progressives on both bikes, the S and the E.
                            The S has heavier spring rates and has quicker handling than the E.

I did Progressive springs in both bikes front ends.

$300 is a little high.....I think the E, I did it this year was about $250 plus springs? So maybe $300.
                            The S, my buddy had a shop and gave them to me at cost, including springs. The S spring have a 175lb rating? I forget as it was 2 years ago.
                            I used a couple of heavy zip ties to compress the springs, wound them thru 3-4 springs and just kept tightening to compress the spring and installed.

I ride 2 up alot on both bikes and have had no problems.
                            I usually have the S on the second setting, with my wife #3.
                            The E usually at 2, with Shraron #3 or 4.
                            No air in the front forks on the E, both have 15 weight oil in the forks.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I've put IKONs (which are the same as KONIs but now made under licence by an Australian crew) on my bike; they work very well and 1-up or 2-up they are fine around town or flogging along the open road. 3 spring preload settings and 4 rebound damping settings means you have some room to fiddle. Rebuildable too, so just the ticket if you're thinking of having your bike for the long haul.

Go to www.ikonsuspension.com and you will be able to find out all the specs, etc. and the particular shockie model for your bike.

I had a set of Konis on an old XJ550; rebuilt them easily enough. It was easy to get them apart, even compressing the springs didn't really need any special tools, although I'm sure they would have helped.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X