I Couldn't Help Myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Couldn't Help Myself!

Yesterday I took a ride with 2 close friends that consider me a family member and 4 other close friends of theirs. The twist is they all ride Hardleys. I did so since they all haven't seen me in nearly a month and I'm catching up visiting with all since I was gone for 3 weeks. Well the 4 guys that I didn't know were being as nice as possible about me and my little GS. I heard about the power of their torque monster bikes and the feel that they got the first time they sat on their rides. I have to admit that the thought of the power that some of the bikes should have was a little intimidating since a few of them had done some engine mods in order to "Put away" some of those crotch rocket types. Well long story short, I couldn't help it and as soon as we started our bikes and I only knew that mine was still running because my tach was still moving I had decided that I wasn't gonna let some 900 pound piece of crap beat my (as daveo calls it) Venerable 850. One guy walked up to my bike and blipped the throttle and commented that he thought it wasn't running and I assured him it was. Any way the hot rod of the group knew something was up when I glued myself to his rear and he rolled on and thats where I let it go. My speedo only goes to 85mph so I figured I'm going 85 and I pass him and wave cordially to him. Thirty miles later we stop to get lunch and I heard stories about how they were afraid of scraping the pegs and they cost too much. Yeah right. The hotrod I beat came up shook my hand and told me he never had a ride like that. I asked how fast we were going when I passed him and he said 110 mph. Well my jaw dropped and I regained my composure and did my best Steve McQueen look and acted as cool as I could be while leaving a small stool sample in the backside of my drawers. Gotta say that bike of mine sure handled fine. She's a warrior for sure. :twisted: Anyway thats my latest and greatest adventure of late. Also does anyone know how fast an 850 is going at roughly 7500 rpm in 5th gear

At 6K my 850 is bouncing around 85 It should be around 105 at 7,500

Comment

It sucks to have to show up another biker, but great work! It still amazes me that even with all of the incidences of this sort of thing happening (and the simple lb/hp ratios to back it up) that Harley riders still think their bikes can take anything.

Maybe loud really doesn't = fast. Well, in my bike's case it does.

Comment

The 850's smooth torque curve and general quietness are quite deceptive. It's a great stealth bike. When overtaking Hardleys, you can be around and gone before they ever know you're there.

With updated suspension, ground clearance and stability are quite good. If you're a skilled, smooth rider, you can also leave the squids on sportbikes behind in the twisties. That's my favorite sport -- Hardleys are just too easy, really.

Any modern 600 or larger sportbike has more power than my old GS850, not to mention worlds better handling, braking, etc. But on bikes, skill counts for far more than the machine. Nearly all sportbike riders are young punks who have no idea how to use their machines.

An awful lot of Fartley-Wobbleson engine mods only succeed in making more noise, which is pretty much all the owners really care about.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Those 850s are not pigs by any standard. 8O 8O
          Nice job of defending the gs image buddy

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            The 850's smooth torque curve and general quietness are quite deceptive. It's a great stealth bike. When overtaking Hardleys, you can be around and gone before they ever know you're there.

With updated suspension, ground clearance and stability are quite good. If you're a skilled, smooth rider, you can also leave the squids on sportbikes behind in the twisties. That's my favorite sport -- Hardleys are just too easy, really.

Any modern 600 or larger sportbike has more power than my old GS850, not to mention worlds better handling, braking, etc. But on bikes, skill counts for far more than the machine. Nearly all sportbike riders are young punks who have no idea how to use their machines.

An awful lot of Fartley-Wobbleson engine mods only succeed in making more noise, which is pretty much all the owners really care about.
            I personally like HD's and have many friends I ride with that own them. Some of the mods are surprizing but short of flaming them I have to agree with everything Brian said here.

I can really annoy a lot of much larger or newer bikes if the riders are inexperienced as you say. I cannot count the times that I've pulled up to a stop after riding with one to be asked "what is that old thing!?!?"

It's a lot of fun for sure

Comment

I gott admit that during our Central PA ride...

I was sorely tempted every time we came up on a group of Harleys to tach my 750 up and pass the whole group. Yeah, I know, it's a little immature, but the 17-year-old in me REALLY wanted to just wail past them. But that wouldn't be riding safely! :twisted:
              1979 GS 1000

Comment

Re: I gott admit that during our Central PA ride...

Originally posted by jknappsax
                I was sorely tempted every time we came up on a group of Harleys to tach my 750 up and pass the whole group. Yeah, I know, it's a little immature, but the 17-year-old in me REALLY wanted to just wail past them. But that wouldn't be riding safely! :twisted:
                Alright guilty as charged. :roll: And to be honest I did feel a bit guilty later that night. The wife on the other hand about took the key away. A couple of the guys in this forum have been down here and know it's easy to go fast down some of these roads around here. But in my defense I know these roads like the back of my hand and I'll try to keep my temper in check next time. Really I promise. :twisted:

Comment

No way. I promiss to be imature as I can be and blow them away every chance I get. :twisted:

Comment

Re: I Couldn't Help Myself!

Originally posted by RobGS850L
                    while leaving a small stool sample in the backside of my drawers.
                    Too much information! 8O
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Ouch Keith !! :?
                      Maybe my family of all boys (5) has gotten the best of me. ](*,) But then maybe that redneck in me got loose again. 8O Oh heck gang ,sorry and I'll try to keep it in check next time.

Comment

Hey, I was just kidding around! Not like I was suggesting offensive material or something. It would take more than a big terd to gross me out.
                        Speaking of big terds...Merry Christmas Eve everyone! :P
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

No offense taken but sometimes a guy has to watch the political correctness anymore. Sometimes it's better to apologize than it is to go to war.

Comment

Working...
                          X