I can't sell it!....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't sell it!....

Man, I've had two people come up to me and say wanna sell that bike? I said I will think about it. All of the sudden my neighbor offers me $2400.00 for it. I'm like damn I only paid $400.00 for it. So money wise it would be foolish NOT to sell it, but I think I really do LOVE that bike. What to do, what to do. It is like a kid or something...What would you do? It aint really THAT nice.

US residents!
    click the link for a free iPod...come on PLEASE help me out!
    This website is for sale! freeipods.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, freeipods.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

complete an offer
    get 5 people to do the same

Sell it and buy three more. Get to be good friends with said neighbor.

Comment

For $2400, you would get a couple of pretty nice 750's or a really nice 1100, or just get one pristine 750 and have a nice profit. But then, I feel the same way about my 1150. Its not for sale even for a good profit. Do what you really want to do rather than what you think would be the most prudent or reasonable thing. You cant ride a prudent or a reasonable, but you can ride a 750. :-)

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

It was previously written by Earlfor:
        Do what you really want to do rather than what you think would be the most prudent or reasonable thing. You cant ride a prudent or a reasonable, but you can ride a 750.

JJJackson,

I could not agree with Earlfor more! I am quite sure I probably put more money into new parts and repairs for my lowly GS650L, but I was more interested in rescuing a lost and forlorn motorcycle and saving it from the junkman... but, my efforts have given me a motorcycle I love and that I'm sure loves me back.

Follow your heart, and let it decide if you are in it for the fun or the money...

Good luck!

Comment

Man I really like the 1100 idea. More power is always nice. At the same time alot of the fun comes from resurecting the bike. I don't know, this is going to take somemore thinking now that I've been given the 1100 idea...Thanks btw Earlfor, Isaac, and wharrah...more input would sure still be appreciated too!

Comment

It sounds like you're not really satisfied with the 750.
            I think you would be happier finding an 1100 and giving it a complete going over. I don't know how much money and time you want to put into a bike, but the more effort you put into it, the more you'll have a bond with the bike. The more it will mean to you.
            It's easier if you have a long history with the bike, as I do with mine, but you can still find a bike that completely satisfies you and with some work, your bike will be unique and make you proud.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I guess this is my day for giving advice. :-) :-) Ok then, not knowing your experience level, how many miles you ride and how well you keep in practice, and not knowing how comfortable you are when on the 750, its difficult to say what would be best. More power may or may not be a good thing. If you are comfortable with the size, weight and handling of the 750, then you will be able to acclimate to the physical aspects of handling an 1100 without any problem. I think the deciding factor is your riding personality and outlook. (just thinking here, not saying you are or arent anything :-) ) If one is methodical, calculating and controlled, upgrading to something that is about half again faster is not a problem. If one tends to be impulsive, agressive and frequently has a leap first, look later attitude, then an 1100 is not a good idea. It will get you into trouble too quickly if you do not actively stay ahead of it. Its all a mind game. The bike is only as safe as the outlook and habits of the rider. If you can suppress your anger when someone does something stupid or cuts you off and you practice self control and can let temptations go by, then I would say go for the 1100. Its a great ride. If you know (and you DO know) you tend to habitually push it beyond what your actual skill level is, then stay away from an 1100. The best choice is whatever an objective self examination tells you. I have to fight with myself every day to not use the amount of throttle I have available at my fingertips. If you cannot (or I cannot) control myself, then I cannot control the motorcycle and I should not be on it.

The more power you have, the more self control you must excercise.

Earl

Originally posted by JJackson
              Man I really like the 1100 idea. More power is always nice. At the same time alot of the fun comes from resurecting the bike. I don't know, this is going to take somemore thinking now that I've been given the 1100 idea...Thanks btw Earlfor, Isaac, and wharrah...more input would sure still be appreciated too!

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well when I first got this bike, it felt like a lot of bike. However I feel I've kind of out grown it. Not to say it isn't still powerful, it just isn't as powerful as it seemed. I've been riding since I was 8 years old, or for about 14 years. Maybe I will just buy a totally different type of bike. I don't know yet. I really appreciate all the advice though. I am taking it all in. So far it sounds like I am probably going to sell the baby...

Comment

Good to know you have a lot of experience. I never know if I'm talking to someone with their first bike and only 100 miles behind them, or someone with years of miles. I've been riding since 1971 or so and the 1100's, 1150's dont leave me wishing for more power. I always want more, but objectively, they do have enough. I think you would really enjoy one and you can get a very nice one for not a horrible amount of money. They are also much easier to work on than the newer stuff. Downside is, you will have to do the work because the bike is older than most of the mechanics at the bike shops and they are clueless about how to set it up or tune it properly. (it cant be hooked to a computer that will do their thinking for them :-) ) Another nice thing about an 1100 is they are not going down in price at their age, so if you decide you dont like it, its still worth what you paid for it. Cant say that about the new stuff. LOL

Consider insurance too. If you have a newer bike and a loan, the bank is going to require full coverage in an amount THEY want. It is not uncommon for those in your age group to be paying in excess of $5000 a year in insurance for a sportbike.

Earl

Originally posted by JJackson
                  Well when I first got this bike, it felt like a lot of bike. However I feel I've kind of out grown it. Not to say it isn't still powerful, it just isn't as powerful as it seemed. I've been riding since I was 8 years old, or for about 14 years. Maybe I will just buy a totally different type of bike. I don't know yet. I really appreciate all the advice though. I am taking it all in. So far it sounds like I am probably going to sell the baby...

Comment

2 cents

Can I jump in here? I've only been riding regurlarly again for about 18 months. The last bike I had was an 73 Yamaha RD350. My 82 GS1100GK was given to me two years ago this coming April. Since I walked away from a serious crash on the RD, I have a healthy respect for the 1100. Please take earlfor's advice. Money wise it sounds like a no brainer and 750cc's will get you in just as much trouble as 1100 if you don't respect the machine. I'm guessing you are early 20's and thats how old I was when my incident occured. I've had 2 offers on mine (1/2 what you had) and am already very attached to it. Its mine, I have spent many hours getting it back on the road and am looking forward to my first road trip this summer. Like I said, God allowed me to walk away from that one and I think about ever time I get on my GK.

Comment

Yeah, even my GS550E can go from 0 to stupid in 3.4 seconds, probably less. But earlfor's advice is excellent - I don't *have* to go from 0 to stupid at all, so I choose not to.

Therefore, if anyone knows of somebody who truly shouldn't be on a GS1100, I'll be happy to trade with them. :twisted:

Comment

Sometimes, I think I may sound like an old fart that always dwaddles along at 20 mph, wears triple layers of body armor, and gets off and walks the bike across busy intersections. :-) :-) :-) The truth is I like to play as much as I ever did and no one buys an 1150 so they can go slow. LOL I do take a closer look at risk management now than I used to. That doesnt mean I dont do the same things as always, it just means I am more selective about where I do them. :-)

I'm putting together what will be a very nice big bore kitted 1100 now. If its too quick for me and I dont like it, I will keep you in mind. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Zook
                        Yeah, even my GS550E can go from 0 to stupid in 3.4 seconds, probably less. But earlfor's advice is excellent - I don't *have* to go from 0 to stupid at all, so I choose not to.

Therefore, if anyone knows of somebody who truly shouldn't be on a GS1100, I'll be happy to trade with them. :twisted:

Comment

I've had a spill or two or a few. But I had one spill that messed up both of my knees pretty bad when I was about 13. I was on a test run(around my block) after just putting in a new clutch and chain/sprockets on, this lady ran a stop sign and started driving up my lane to get to her house. I turned as far as I could, and the bike slid to it's side at about 30 mph, and me and the bike slid next to each other for 74 feet. The bike brushed her bumper. It definately tamed me out quite a bit. It sucked seeing my entire left knee cap. And to this day it hurts when I walk. I put a 8" crack in my buddies helmet that day too 8O . I still have fun, but I am very careful at all times...

Comment

Owning a 125 Hp bike is like carrying a gun. You don't get tougher with it, you just have more responsibility. If you have to have the last word or think you do then don't get either. All it takes is one bad day at work and someone that is tailgating you too close and before you know it your doing 105 mph where you should not be.
                            I remember trying to adjust that throttle cable on saturday mornings because I could not get enough on Friday night, if you know where I am coming from.

I ride a GS650G now for a reason: A 900 Kawasaki I owned almost killed me. Less bike means less temptation.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Temptation

I find "the temptation" to be much less on my GK than the old RD350 as there is a difference in the manuverability. That helps but I must be honest as well. There are times when I like to let it all hang out (Ok go ahead and laugh) even if it is a tourer. Never saw my knee cap after my wreck but, some day, the knee will need attention and it reminds me especially on those days when it seems I never sat down. My dad and I bought the RD together and I'll never forget hearing my truck's engine roar as my dad (& mom) came to the scene. I thought my dad was going to break my back sqeezing me (& I thought he didn't care :? ). The bike was rideable and my knee was numb so I figured all was well. Later that night the numbness was replaced with screaming pain but being 10' tall and bullet proof . . . . Dad's gone to heaven and who knows where the RD is but I'm still having a ball . Sure he is too .

Comment

Working...
                              X