Bike Down - Paramedics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Down - Paramedics?

Strange thing happened last night. I went to visit mom on my way home from work, nice night for riding. Low 70's. It was dark when I was heading home. Coming up to a busy intersection and a red light. I see an a Parmedic truck with the lights on going past - in the other direction. Trying to take in everything happening at this busy intersection, I thought I saw a biker go down a couple of cars ahead of me. I look past the couple cars and I see 2 guys picking up the Full Dress Harley. So I assume he's alright. I can hear him trying to start it. I pull up to where he is pulled over to check on him and he's fine, just trying to get the bike started. All of a sudden, a Paramedic tuck with the lights on comes up behind us. 3 guys get out and come up to see if he's alright. Then all of a sudden a huge fire truck comes from the other direction with it's light on and stops right in front of us. I'm just amazed at all this. Here, this guy just had to hit his brakes hard as the car in front of him slammed on his brakes for the ambulance. He went down at probaly near stopped.
    I know bikes are dangerous, but obviously the only thing the guy hurt was his pride. Here they sent paramedics AND fire engine to his rescue. I started to leave and I heard them ask his name and number, seconds later he was flying past me.

Does this sound like overkill to anyone else? :? :?

Re: Bike Down - Paramedics?

I would guess some cager saw a bike go over and immediately called in an accident on their cell phone without checking if there really was an accident.
    I believe the paramedics have to respond.

Earl

Originally posted by DMPLATT
    I know bikes are dangerous, but obviously the only thing the guy hurt was his pride. Here they sent paramedics AND fire engine to his rescue. I started to leave and I heard them ask his name and number, seconds later he was flying past me.

Does this sound like overkill to anyone else? :? :?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'd rather they over-respond than under-respond!!!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
        I'd rather they over-respond than under-respond!!!

Hap
        True Dat.

Just thought the Fire engine was a bit much.

Comment

A lot of places, any call for a fire truck or ambulance gets a fire truck AND ambulance, no matter what you actually need. If I fall down my steps and break something, I obviously don't need a fire truck to rescue me. But a lot of places, that's just how they work. And often the police will show up, too, just to check out what's going on. I guess with centralized 911 these days, they just send everything they've got.

Comment

At least they didnt send in an air strike. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Zook
            I guess with centralized 911 these days, they just send everything they've got.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Firemen are alos trained paramedics/EMTs.

Better to have than want/need.

Fire truck could also be called for fuel/oil spill, hazmat control.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by Zook
                A lot of places, any call for a fire truck or ambulance gets a fire truck AND ambulance, no matter what you actually need. If I fall down my steps and break something, I obviously don't need a fire truck to rescue me. But a lot of places, that's just how they work. And often the police will show up, too, just to check out what's going on. I guess with centralized 911 these days, they just send everything they've got.
                Yeah, the ol' fireman just can't wait to get out the bolt cutters and start hacking up your wiring! :roll: When I smashed up my truck a few years ago, the first thing they did was to start prying up the hood so they could snip the battery cables. The ignition was off, it had a mechanical fuel pump, and the only thing leaking was a bit of coolant. The truck was upright and still on the road. :roll: If I had it together, I would have remembered I had a socket set underneath the seat which I could have disconnected the batteries with.
                Oh well, I guess it's "POLICY," and one is NOT allowed to argue with that!
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by KGB

Yeah, I thought of that last night. That's probably why I see fire engines at accident scenes.

Comment

You're all wrong - it's coz they needed that many people to lift up a full-dress Hardley.

Comment

Originally posted by KGB

yep, thats it, as well as the delicate paramedics on the ambulances need some one to lift the patient on the back board and load them in the ambulance.
                      if it is a bad accident we set up the landing zone for the helicopter.
                      also we often have to "make a hole", when houses are designed rarely does anyone consider that some one may have to be removed from said house on a gurney. so on a some what regular basis we have to do some house "modifications" to get them out (can't ask someone in full arrest to walk outside)

Leon (captain, engineer, first responder) Nolan volunteer fire department

Comment

Been there, done that (back in my GTO-pranging days)...

When the EMT's were grilling me at the time (and for a few years after), it seemed pretty embarrassing after a silly little shunt...

Fast-forward 20 years....
                        A few good friends of mine have become EMT's. I'm damned glad they are out there.
                        Serious injuries aren't always imediately apparent - to the victim or to casual bystanders.

Ted

Comment

Darn, the funnest times I had on an ambulance was the extrication calls. We loved rippin people's cars apart. I guess it was just a macho testoserone thing, but I loved it.

Comment

Working...
                          X