Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Get Inside A Guage (With Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Get Inside A Guage (With Pictures)

This one is especially for planecrazy..

I Had to move the guts of a good guage, with a cracked case, into a new case. This will also work for accessing the guage to put screws back into the guage face. *ahem*planecrazy*ahem*

The first step is to seperate the crystal from the body of the guage. Most people have suggested prying the metal away from the case. I can't see a satisfactory method of this. Especially crimping it back in place.

I took a dremmel cutting disk, and arbor, and placed them in my drill press. I set the depth to be about 1/8" above the metal ring surrounding the crystal.

And here's what you get. If you cut slowly, and don't use much pressure, the plastic won't melt, and you will get this beautifully smooth cut.

Putting the guage back togother is fairly simple. The cutting disk is thin so the thickness of material removed doesn't seem to make a difference. I used five minute epoxy to put the guage back togother. Be very carefull just to get epoxy on the joining surfaces. Some will squeeze out when you join the sides, so don't overdo it!

Due to the time pressed nature of using epoxy, I don't have pictures of applying the epoxy and smashing the two sides togother.

Now we have a problem. Two prefectly smooth mating surfaces with a liquid between them. they are going to want to slide and moosh. And generally get into bad alignment. However we have a solution. Electrical tape.

Wrap the tape fairly loosely. Just make sure there are no wrinkles and you will have perfect tension.

Looks pretty? We considdered leaving the tape there. But I got curious. After waiting fifteen minutes for the glue to set well.

The epoxy doesn't bond to the adhesive on the back of the tape. So it leaves you with a wonderfully smooth surface.

Sorry about some of the foggy images, but my camera doesn't work so well in the low light conditions I like to live and work in.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Very Cool. I'm going to give it a try because my trip odometer doesn't work and it's nice to be able to tell how far you've been riding.

Comment

I'll be using your trick this winter as well, to reinstall a loose screw (with locktite).

Thanks!
      Steve 8)

Comment

That belongs in the garage as a permanant item for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
          That belongs in the garage as a permanant item for sure.
          I was thinking the same thing. Nero, buddy, you gotta ask Frank to add that man.

Excellent work!

Comment

Excellent post

I agree with Scotty and Mark, this should go in the garage 8)

Comment

Frank? Garage?

Comment

Email Frank and send him a link to this thread Nero
                He'll take it from there.

Just tell him "the guys" think it should be considered for the garage.

The GSR Garage! Don't tell me you haven't been in it yet?

Comment

I have been there, didn't recognize the name :-) Frank, e-mailed.

Comment

Rock on buddy. Thx for your contribution

Comment

I'll probably try try this fix myself, i have a screw from the speedometer face plate rolling around :?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                        I'll probably try try this fix myself, i have a screw from the speedometer face plate rolling around :?
                        Me too John. On two bikes! That's why I was pumped about it
                        Saved me the trouble of having to figure it out myself.

Comment

That's what I was referring to as well (Nero already knows this). I experimented earlier this year on a broken speedo ... thought I'd drill throught the lens and then cap the area over the screws so that it looked "right."

It was only after I cracked the lens that I realized it was glass ... thought it was plastic all along.

Now I realize that with the right type of bit and careful drilling I could get through the lens as planned, but Nero's method is a better bet, and will be more "seamless" when complete than what I tried.

Nice job, Buddy!

Steve 8)

Comment

I will get this added to the GS Garage shortly. Thanks for the email pointing it out!

--- Frank ---

Comment

The article has been added to the GS Garage. You can check it out here.

Thanks Nero for the article and a big thanks for pointing it out. It's a nice addition to the GS Garage.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Working...
                              X