Worst Riding weekend ever!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Riding weekend ever!!

I put over 300 miles on my 450 this past weekend (1/15-1/16) and have declared it the worst riding I have ever been in and ever hope to be in!! First off, not a single mile was covered in temps over 25*F.

Sat.: Rode from my apartment home to get the truck so as I could go pickup my 2 new GS's. Ride was cold and I stopped twice in the 140 miles to get a cup of coffee and warm up (one was a fuel stop too.) This was a fairly clear day, but about 20-23*. Ride finished without incident. Went into the heart of the Washington DC suburbs with the truck and got the bikes and returned home about 2 hours later then expected so it was decided that I would stay the night, unload the bikes after church and then be on my way seeing as snow was coming in from the North.

Sun: Did all the stuff mentioned above and got ready to head south at about 4:30. Left with spirits high and fingers warm. Temps now are dipping into the teens. The sun is setting as I pull into a truck stop for gas a burger and some coffee about 5:15. I get back on my way by 5:30 and an hour later of 70mph riding on a naked bike in those temps I was freezing and gonna pull off at the truckstop 10 miles down or so. Well now begins the bad part, it started snowing.... then snowing harder!! I was using one hand to control the bike and the other to continuosly clear my visor. Traffic slowed to less then 30mph and I was doing my best to try and see the solid white line on the side of the road and the car's tail/brake lights in front of me. I was basically the most tense and on edge I have ever been behind the wheel/handlebars!! I made it through 10 miles of this stuff at 30mph to the truckstop and parked the bike.

I made a call to my aunt and uncle who lived about 15-20 minutes away and they picked me up in the 4wd truck and took me to their house and I spent the night there on the floor beside the woodstove. Next Morn (Mon.) the roads are cleared and dry and I have to be at work by noon so we unload my bike only to find that the key had frozen in the off position. After a couple different ideas and 20 minutes in now single digit weather, we finally poured boiling water over the key and low and behold she turned. Now I just had to finish the last 40 miles to my apartment in the single digits. Needless to say, I made it but was cold for over 12 hours after that.

Lesson Learned, take the cage in sub 20* weather even if the milage is much worse. Oh, and I think it is time I invest in some GOOD winter gloves, my 150g thinsulate leather work gloves just ain't cutting it no more.

I now have a face full of windburn (even with a scarf, ski mask and full faced helmet) a runny nose and VERY dry skin.

I feel your pain, Wes.

I had a number of long, cold, and sometimes wet, rides in my youth. The memories of them linger over 35 years later. I clearly recall at some points being tempted to stop, curl up in a ball, and slip into a painless oblivion. Fortunately, almost all my riding now is in good weather......I hope that yours will be, too.

BB

Comment

Oh wow! I rode approximately 240km this past October in just below freezing temperatures. I complained then! I cannot imagine your ride. I would have been tempted to do as Simon had mentioned, curl up in a ball and slide into oblivion.

I'm glad to hear you made it home...eventually, safely. Take some echinacea to boost your immune system for a few days, get lots of rest and I'll pray that a bad memory, and not a cold, too are all that lingers from this trip.

Comment

8O 8O And I'm crying cause it got down to the low 30's.

Man, hats off to you bud. Keep it safe and warm. Glad you are thawing out.

Comment

The question remains, though; "Was it worth it?"

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
            The question remains, though; "Was it worth it?"

Brad tt
            I am here, not hurt and a few more miles under my belt to make me a better rider. Yes it was worth the experience would I do it again given the chance? Don't know, kinda doubt it, but it was a good lesson and worth every mile in my new found experience.

I have no problem riding in temps 20* and above, but the bike has become picky at temps below that my gloves and scarf just isn't tight enough to stop the real cold winter air.

Comment

Wes, buddy, all you did wrong was your ride lay out

It's totally cool (no pun intended) to go for rides in freezing cold temps. The trick is to just putt around your house. You know, go no further than town or some back roads close to home. When the going gets rough, the rough and cold go home!

I ride year round and was going to go out just last night but I had car troubles. So I didn't get to ride in the cold but I got to work under the hood with fluids so it was just as good, NOT!

Your a better man for it bro, you can say you've done it and you know what to expect if you ever get into a situation where you have to do it again.

If you ever want to do more sub-zero riding let me know, I have a load of cold weather riding tips that are time proven and work.

Comment

Those wouldn't happen to have been the free GS's would they?

Comment

Originally posted by isaac
                  Bingo...

Comment

Wes, I PM'd you back the info you asked for. One that I forgot to mention in there and may be better to share is about the frozen ignition switch. Never use warm water to unfreeeze things. Just take some warm rubbing alcohol and pour it in. Use the good stuff if you have it. Some is 70% but you can also get 91% which has way more alcy and less "other stuff' "water"

It will thaw your frozen parts and evaperate. Way better way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by WesV
                      Originally posted by isaac
                      Bingo...
                      I'm not sure that sucks as much as you've let on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Hmm! Just exactly which frozen parts would you be referring to Mark? 8O

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                          Originally posted by Hoomgar

Hmm! Just exactly which frozen parts would you be referring to Mark? 8O

Brad tt
                          Well, for any biological parts you should use a pure form of alcohol and not this stuff

Comment

I used to ride my Guzzi all winter, (except on ice) and in up to four inches of snow, which is about the most we usually get here at one time.

Neither of the GSes have seen that much snow while under me, although both have been on some.

One of the prime things I learned about cold is to have a warm jacket, with BOTH a zipper and a covering flap to keep out wind. On my first cold ride, I had a leather jacket with dome fasteners to hold the flap, but no zipper. I had to tuck newspapers inside to stop the airflow. Never again.

For future excursions, I strongly recommend you use a full-face helmet.

There are also leather and cloth neck wraps that fit up and under the helmet. They come in several sizes, and fasten with Velcro. These will help keep your throat and face warm. The leather stops the wind, and the cloth makes it comfortable to wear, as well as providing a bit of insulation.

While I never experienced any long-term problems, I have had to avoid talking after a ride or two, so that the skin on my cheeks would not split, as they were partially frozen. 8O

It was curious sensation, somewhat like what you feel when leaving a dentist. They were OK on the inside, but you could literally knock on them from outside.
                            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                              I used to ride my Guzzi all winter, (except on ice) and in up to four inches of snow, which is about the most we usually get here at one time.

Neither of the GSes have seen that much snow while under me, although both have been on some.

One of the prime things I learned about cold is to have a warm jacket, with BOTH a zipper and a covering flap to keep out wind. On my first cold ride, I had a leather jacket with dome fasteners to hold the flap, but no zipper. I had to tuck newspapers inside to stop the airflow. Never again.

For future excursions, I strongly recommend you use a full-face helmet.

There are also leather and cloth neck wraps that fit up and under the helmet. They come in several sizes, and fasten with Velcro. These will help keep your throat and face warm. The leather stops the wind, and the cloth makes it comfortable to wear, as well as providing a bit of insulation.

While I never experienced any long-term problems, I have had to avoid talking after a ride or two, so that the skin on my cheeks would not split, as they were partially frozen. 8O

It was curious sensation, somewhat like what you feel when leaving a dentist. They were OK on the inside, but you could literally knock on them from outside.
                              Ron,
                              I do wear a full face helmet, year round in fact just because of the protection they offer. The cold didn't effect me so much as the heavy snow did. In fact the only thing that really got truely cold was my hands, and that will be cured with a new set of snowmobile gloves before to long. Riding on snow when it is clear outside is onething, but trying to do it when it is so blindning you are having trouble watching the tail lights in front of you is what really made me on edge. Don't worry, I have but over 200 miles on the bike this week since that trip so I am still riding daily (and in light snow some too!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X