Which Bike for older rider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Bike for older rider?

At the age of 62, I am getting back on a motorcycle after a 10 year layoff. First bike was '55 KHK Harley. Went through many Brit and Jap bikes. Last ride was an '85 FLTC Hog, bought new and sold in 1994. Favorite bike for riding and handling; 1960 Triumph Bonneville. Favorite bike for reliability '85 Suzuki 550cc. Do not want another Harley (threw away all the tools that I had to tote when riding!) Looking for a dependable, low maintenance cruiser. Like the SV650 Suzuki, but maybe leaning more toward that weight and power class with shaft drive. Enjoy winding roads more then interstate highways. Which bike to buy?

Well you already know you want a shaft at your age, very good!
    Since this is a Suzuki GS website is the choice limited to them? If so I'd pick the 1000G or 1100G, test ride it first as with any bike.

Comment

Which bike for older rider?

Certainly not limiting my search to Suzuki. What other brands would fit my criteria?

Comment

Are you looking to buy new or used? If you are looking in the Suzuki GS price range and are not going to be on the Interstates much, I might suggest a little smaller shaft drive model, a G or GL model 650 or 850. The L models have a more cruiser-like design and seating position, but not radically so. 850 or above would be best if you will be carrying a passenger frequently.

How tall are you? Would seat height be a factor?
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I am looking to buy new. I currently own an '82 KZ750, which I am slowly restoring, but I would like something more dependable for back road touring. I am 6' tall so seat height has never been a consideration. I will likely not often carry a passenger, but I would have a second helmet tied on for when I want to put someone behind me.
          That said, (please, this comment is not meant to inflame, just making an observation) I am amazed that here and on other lists, folks mention the 500cc and 650cc motorcycles as if they are light weights and unable to carry two up at interstate speeds. I am only going by what I recall and maybe motorcycles have changed drastically, but all through the 1950s, '60s and 70's, we viewed a 650 Triumph or other 650cc bike as "heavy weight" bikes and many people used those bikes for long trips, with two up. I see when I view the manufacturer's pages that touring bikes are 2000cc + machines. Is bigger better? Or is this simply a case of "how high is up?"
          <8^) Can't the average, new 500cc to 650cc machine be expected to carry two up, without any strain?

Comment

My 450 will carry two up, no problem, but the more weight I add, the more stopping becomes an issue. I believe that its about how you feel comfortable. You may find an 850 more comfortable than an 1100.
            Whatever floats your boat!

P.S.: I weigh 145 lbs. and my girlfriend weighs 125 lbs., so going two up is less of an issue for me.

Comment

Re: Which bike for older rider?

Originally posted by roysclockgun
              Can't the average, new 500cc to 650cc machine be expected to carry two up, without any strain?
              Yes it can but a bigger bike will feel much more relaxed at higher speeds is my experience, much lower revs and more room usually. If you want some comfort and a bit of sportiness try an all-road bike, I have a TDM850 for everyday use that I *love*.

Comment

That said, (please, this comment is not meant to inflame, just making an observation) I am amazed that here and on other lists, folks mention the 500cc and 650cc motorcycles as if they are light weights and unable to carry two up at interstate speeds. I am only going by what I recall and maybe motorcycles have changed drastically, but all through the 1950s, '60s and 70's, we viewed a 650 Triumph or other 650cc bike as "heavy weight" bikes and many people used those bikes for long trips, with two up.
                I hear ya. I am only two years younger than you, and I often reflect on how the image of small and large bikes has changed over the years. Flat and level at constant speed the advantage of a bigger engine is not as easy to see. The big advantage is when you need to pass or accelarate to merge with traffic and/or you are going uphill. Two up with baggage will greatly reduce your performance and options at those times. Again, it comes down to the kind of riding you look to do.

If you like the SV650 you could probably learn to live with the chain. I am a shaft man myself. But chain technology has come a long way since the days when they propelled 650 BSAs and Triumphs.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The problem that I have been running into, in terms of test rides, is that the local dealers, here in Maryland, do not keep "demo" bikes in stock. There is a big Suzuki dealer in West Virginia, but it is now too cold to head out there. Next week, I am loading up the old KZ and heading for Bike Week, in Florida. Hopefully there will be some good motorcycle shows where demos will be available.
                  I have done a fair amount of research and like a couple bikes, ranging from the SV650 that I mentioned, up to the Honda Sabre 1100cc and Yamaha V Star Custom 1100cc. As has been written here, I really need to get to some dealers who have demo rides and "see" what I really like.
                  Any good sites on the internet that show user reviews?

Comment

First off motorcycles have changed in the last 10 years. The bikes the GS series represent are a far cry from the bikes offered today. Decide first what kind of riding you want to do most. The motorcycles today are far more segmented and specialized than ever in history. There are Touring bikes, Sport Touring bikes, Cruisers, Power Cruisers, Sport Bikes, Standards are still around, There are Adventure Tour bikes like the Tiger955i and BMW R1200GS that are tall cruise all day on the highway with windshields and saddlebags and can side track off the beaten path to a point. Then there is the whole dirt bike moto thing if you like chiropractic and want to be on a first name basis with your Celebrex supplier. The point is if you don't first decide what it is you are going to do with the bike for the long run you will never be satisfied with it. A demo isn't going to tell you those things because any motorcycle will impress for that brief amount of time. 12 months into the payments you still want to want to get on it. Do some research, buy some motorcycle magazines and read up. I recommend a cruiser mag along with issues of Cycle World and Rider. Once you narrow the field some it will be easier to hone in on the particular model that will do the most for you. Just remember that todays bikes will go faster, quicker and stop harder than anything made in 94 or earlier. They will get you into trouble real quick if you get over confident on one. Take and MSF course to hone up on your skill level to once you get the bike.

Comment

The problem that I have been running into, in terms of test rides, is that the local dealers, here in Maryland, do not keep "demo" bikes in stock. There is a big Suzuki dealer in West Virginia, but it is now too cold to head out there. Next week, I am loading up the old KZ and heading for Bike Week, in Florida. Hopefully there will be some good motorcycle shows where demos will be available.
                      I have done a fair amount of research and like a couple bikes, ranging from the SV650 that I mentioned, up to the Honda Sabre 1100cc and Yamaha V Star Custom 1100cc. As has been written here, I really need to get to some dealers who have demo rides and "see" what I really like.
                      Any good sites on the internet that show user reviews?
                      Yes, all of the major and some of the minor (Boss Hoss) manufacturers offer demo rides at Daytona. They are all held out at the track, Daytona International Speedway. They run from Monday through Friday all day. Sign up starts at 8:00; you might want to be there a few minutes early. Go early in the week. Monday and Tuesday you can probably get a ride on something in most time slots. The AHRMA (vintage) raciing is Monday and Tuesday also. It would be a good way to see the inside of the track and take in the race experience much cheaper than the AMA races will cost.

Nature bats last.

Comment

I really like my 850. It has always been good to ride, not really making me sore on the really long days, and 100% reliable.

Comment

KZ750E

Yeah, I am going to look at bikes like your 850.
                          The riding weather in central coast FL. has been wonderful all week. Riding the old '82 KZ750E makes me realize that I do not want anything any faster. For an old bike, it really goes. Pulls accidental wheelies w/o trying.
                          I stopped in the local Library to pick up my mail and post this reply.
                          Thanks for all the good advice.
                          Will be home mid March and will catch up on mail then.
                          Steve Ashe

Comment

Shaft mid-range bikes are a bit rare, at least the models available in the US. The VT750 shaft Honda cruiser seems a good bike, as is the Volusia and the like. In standard bikes, not much at all (the 650 Deauville is not in the US I believe). Modern chains last ages with little maintenance so perhaps go for a bike you like without worrying about the shaft restriction.

Comment

Working...
                            X