Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Harley owner

Yep they do exist!!

Tonight on my way home from work at about 11:30 PM, I stop at a light getting ready to turn leftto head up over the mountian between Radford (where I work) and Blacksburg (where I live). I look in my mirror at the while waiting and see this harley coming up, he pulls up beside me. Looks over the bike, then looks at me and says " Nice night for a ride huh?" "Yep sure is!" (56*) " You gotta ride when ever you can in the winter months I guess" I respond "For me that is everyday there is no ice, snow is fine, I will ride in snow, but not ice." He just chuckled and muttered something about young'n will get aches and creaks soon enough 8) Anyway we exchange plesantries for another couple seconds and then the light turns and I ride off first, not screaming off or letting the thing make a lot of noise, but just a brisk take off and he followed me and we wound through the mountian for the next several minutes being the only two on the road in the middle of a great night! I loved it, made me feel that maybe there are some Harley owners who aren't in it just for the attitude, and image but for the fun and pure enjoyment of riding as well.

Another old Harley owner gave me a huge wave and a smile as my friend and I passed him going into a town near Woodstock NY

Those old guys, they are the normal riders with no prejudices

Comment

Lots of attitude problems with many newbies. Mostly the crotch rocked crowd and some die hard brand name mongers???i think. The harley crowd in my area is tops since I have been waving to every bike i see for about 3 years.
      I did it at the suggestion of another website member after i posted a thread about being ticked off because folks didnt wave back.

Comment

Nice Guys..

I find myself trying to wave & be nice to all fellow riders regardless of their make of machine.......We should all welcome the upsurge of riders running around on Harleys..recall the saying..."all boats are lifted by a rising tide"
        _____________________________Rick......

Comment

I was out today on my GT today and waved at three different motorcyclist on Japanesed bikes, and no one waved back! I guess being 6'2" at 270lbs and riding a GT250 it looks like a guy riding a moped.
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I try to wave at anyone on two wheels, because we need to ally against the cagers!

But seriously, bikes are a kind of culture... when was the last time anyone saw an AMC Gremlin rally?... Or Pinto! Ha!

Comment

I've found that anyone who's ridden bikes for a while will welcome a fellow biker, no matter what you're riding.

Generally the bikers with 'attitude' are usually new to two wheels and still wrapped up in the biker mystique(!!?). These 'part time bikers' come and go but real riders keep rolling and share a common bond.

Comment

Well, yesterday it was dry enough and warm enough at the same time to fire up the ol' two wheeler, so I took it down to Riverfront Park with my girl. After a bit of crusing and seeing several other bikes, we were on our way out, when we stopped at the northernmost part of the park. There, we saw a fairly young solo harley rider fiddling with a lighter, so I rolled over and offered him mine (I try to carry some kind of fire while riding, just in case..). He was very appreciative and friendly, asking me about the park we were in. I saw he had an A.B.A.T.E. patch and asked him about them, and after he talked about them, we parted ways.
                So, I agree... They arent all bad.

Comment

A guy who works in the same building as me has 2 Harleys, you couldn't meet a nicer guy.
                  He has no hang ups about waving to other riders no matter what make they ride.

Comment

8) I've come to realise that people are people no matter what they ride

Your gonna meet buttholes and decent folk no matter the horse. 8)

Comment

Oh I know there are just as many nice HD owners as not, but I just wanted a catchy title I know many Harley owners who are great people! Now on the other hand, I was talking to my boss at work and she said that she was gonna get a 2004 HD lowrider but couldn't afford the downpayment. She was gonna get her B/F to teach her on it!!! I told her that she would be an idiot to take a brand new HEAVY HD and learn on it (She is 5'3" 130lbs). I told her to find a 250 or 450 Suzi, Yama, Kawi, etc to learn on then get the HD. And the first words out of her mouth was "but they aren't Harleys, I won't own anything but a Harley." I then asked her why, "I like the way they fit me and ride" Have you every ridden a Jap V-twin? "NO!!! Never would, they don't have the power, comfort or reliability of a Harley." I laughed in her face, turned around and walked off. This is the attitude that really bugs me.....

Comment

It's kinda funny, but roughly half of the old HD owners I've talked to speak nostalgically of that old GS or KZ they learned on when it was all they could afford.

"Man, my first bike was this old GS, that thing was great."

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69
                          I've found that anyone who's ridden bikes for a while will welcome a fellow biker, no matter what you're riding.

Generally the bikers with 'attitude' are usually new to two wheels and still wrapped up in the biker mystique(!!?). These 'part time bikers' come and go but real riders keep rolling and share a common bond.
                          Gotta agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnRoadRash

"Man, my first bike was this old GS, that thing was great."
                            And I've also heard them say that they "sure miss that bike."

Brad tt

Comment

Nice Harley Riders

I have to tell you that I have met some very friendly Harley riders throughout this year. I must tell you about the one time my wife and I were riding around the country. A heat shield on the bike fell off while riding one of our winding, country roads in the area. I got off, and set the bike on its stand, and asked my wife to stay by it while I walked up the road to try and find it. As I walked over the hill, still looking for it, two Harley riders stopped and asked my wife if she was having problems. She stated that I was looking of the shield, and they stayed with her until I walked back. We exchanged pleasantries, since it was a great Saturday to be out riding. We even rode with them for about fifteen minutes, and we parted friends with a passion.

I always way to all bikers on my travels, and most will wave back. You cannot please everyone, and there all kinds out there. I was thankful that these two Harley gentlemen stopped to enquire, even though nothing was seriously wrong.

I purchased my GS650L in April, 2004. I have put over 6,000 miles it since then. I have ridden it to work every day possible, even when it is barely 35 degrees, even in the changeable Kansas City weather. I recently found this site, and enjoy visiting it every day or two. You have a good site. Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X