Inexpensive Russell SS brake lines - Overstock Parts Galore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexpensive Russell SS brake lines - Overstock Parts Galore

I just received Russell stainless steel brake lines ordered from http://www.overstockpartsgalore.com/suzmain.html
    They goit to me 4 days after I placed the order. They combined 3 orders to save on shipping. The prices were the best I've seen. There's still some sets left for various GS models. If you are looking for SS brake lines (You should - they are great) Check them out.

Terry

PS I think someone on this site reccommended them first - I just can't remember who it was

They seem to have disappeared. Can't find them on the web

Comment

Does the GS650 use the same brakes as the 850 does? I could only find the lines for a 650.

Comment

The best way to find the answer to that question is to compare part numbers for the stock brake lines. How? go here:http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
        BTW, There are better lines made for our bikes. I've got a set of these http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm Better quality.

Terry

Comment

Terry-I ordered lines from overstock using the link you provided in this thread. The supplier was safetynet.com. It appears to be a guy in a basement called ELCamino Who after I ordered and inquired as to the delivery date wrote"I'm not sure if they sent the right line to me. How long is your brake line?" When I emailed him back with "41 and 1/4 inches plus or minus a half inch- He said it's on it's way. Three days later I get a box with a brake line that's EXACTLY 41and 1/4 inches! Nothing Identifying it as a russell brake line and NO sleeve over the braid. I'll figure out how to protect my bike from the raw ss and it seems to be ok for what I need;it just seems like someone is pulling something. In no way am I casting aspersions(heck I don't even own a fly rod!) I'm just giving a heads up to my fellow GSers. If anyone has any info please share. I'm not unhappy- I just feel I'm doing business with

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj
            Terry-I ordered lines from overstock using the link you provided in this thread. The supplier was safetynet.com. It appears to be a guy in a basement called ELCamino Who after I ordered and inquired as to the delivery date wrote"I'm not sure if they sent the right line to me. How long is your brake line?" When I emailed him back with "41 and 1/4 inches plus or minus a half inch- He said it's on it's way. Three days later I get a box with a brake line that's EXACTLY 41and 1/4 inches! Nothing Identifying it as a russell brake line and NO sleeve over the braid. I'll figure out how to protect my bike from the raw ss and it seems to be ok for what I need;it just seems like someone is pulling something. In no way am I casting aspersions(heck I don't even own a fly rod!) I'm just giving a heads up to my fellow GSers. If anyone has any info please share. I'm not unhappy- I just feel I'm doing business with

Good to know - I was looking at ordering a set.

Do the angles of the fittings match your needs? It's probably someone making lines to order using hoses/fittings from Russell.

But - as long as they're quality materials, the crimps are solid, and the angle/direction of the fittings match what's needed - the $36.00 listed on overstock for my bike is a helluva good price.

FWIW - I'm not sure that Russell stamps their name on their crimp ferrules like Galfer does....

-Q!

Comment

Yes David Carradine the banjo bolts are the correct angle. I'm trying to come up with the least expensive way to protect things (paint,wires etc,) from the raw stainless. I've seen a wrap advertised for six dollars, if I go that route I saved a little less...about six dollars!

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj
                Yes David Carradine the banjo bolts are the correct angle. I'm trying to come up with the least expensive way to protect things (paint,wires etc,) from the raw stainless. I've seen a wrap advertised for six dollars, if I go that route I saved a little less...about six dollars!
                If you can find the right size maybe you could slit come clear tubing and slip it over the braid? I think clear vinyl would be stiff enough to hold tight once it was slipped over and if you need to cut longer lengths maybe a dowl and x-acto blade in a vice could make a jig to cut it pretty straight.

What I mean is to mount the blade in the dowel somehow and then have the dowl sticking out of the side of a vice, then slip the hose over the dowel (pilot cut?) and pull it past the blade.

Watch those fingers!

/\/\ac

Comment

Hey mac! that smacks of logic but I might try it anyway. Any idea where I could get the vinyl tubing big enough yet thin enough to be flexible? thanks RJ

Comment

Home depot, or better still your locally owned hardware store? At HD they have spools of various sizes in the plumbing section. What do you need, about 3/8id? 1/2?

If its HD go in and find some 17 year old kid who doesn't give a carp or some older guy who works on stuff himself and tell them you want an inch or two of "this one, this one and that one" to check the size.

If its your local store they'll probably hand you some cutters and tell you to have at it.

/\/\ac

Comment

You could try heat shrink, too - there should be some out there large enough to fit over the banjos, but still shrinks up snug enough on the lines.

Then you could pick your own color!

Comment

Thanks Quai- after looking at how it is attached I only have about six inches where it could come in contact with anything. Ten inches of heat shrink should do it

Comment

Post revivial:

Which bikes in that list have twin caliper / rotor fronts? I though the '83 GS750E would have two up front.

I can't imagine why that set would not fit an '83 GS1100E... Instead of buying the $86 set above it.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                          X