Other peoples problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other peoples problems

I purchased a complete not running 81 GS550L just for a kick around project, first thing I did was to completely go through the carbs, which really weren't that bad, and try to coax some fire out of it, ran real bad.
    so I decided to remove the head and bores and mabey freshen up the top end, thats when I found the twisted crank, ah-hah I said to myself, thats why they parked it.

The next thing I did was go out and find a good used engine, not that easy, but I found one. Put my fresh carbs on and tried to light it, no spark, c/d box was junk. Changed the box out, fired it up, runs worse than the twisted motor. So I started to check everything, found the timing chain tensioner all jacked up, but valve clearance and timing OK, the advance weights frozen and the pickup wires bearly hanging on by a few strands. Alright, I've found all my problems and repaired them, not so.

Started it again, lean, lean, lean. I must have overlooked something in the carbs I said to myself, so off the rack comes and a complete disassembly and inspection, no problems found. At about this time I'm spinning out of control. Standing there staring at the bike like the problem is going to jump out at me, I decide to install a allen head bolt set I had bought for it, thats when I found it, some knuckle head had removed the carb boots and tossed the o-rings, I Installed the new seals, lit it off, runs like a champ!

My hair is growing back nicely now, and the medication seem to be working ok, but I still have to sit here and wonder what chain of events went on to create such a mess?

LOL kick ass dude, way to go Kent.

I would like to be able to do that sorta thing some day.

Comment

Kudos Kent

Way to go for sticking with it and seeing it through!

Your story is actually an inspiration. Trust me on that

Rock on!

Comment

Way ta go Kent

You got more patience than me.

Comment

good description of the events.

This is why we often ask what was the last thing done to the bike and by who??
          In your case it was a total mistery though. nice job and good luck

Comment

Way to go Kent! Are either as nice as your 1100?

Comment

Looks like you've got it all taken care of so now you can just ride it.

Comment

Naw, the 550 is going to need alot more work, but I have always believed the journey is what makes the goal worth while, by the way Daveo when are we going to get the EZ out again? Rob and I went out in the delta, it was cooool! And I think I just about have the house in control for a while so riding more looks like a good possability. next time your at 3600 on the second floor north grab a soda or something from the sunshine club and put my name on a IOU and drop it in the bucket (freaks the wife out).

Comment

It will definitely make it yours! I know that when I brought the 1100 home for the first time I was kinda disappointed , but I've put a lot of things on it (sometimes even by choice ). And I'm coming to love it more and more. Hope the journey ends well.

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by kent
                    by the way Daveo when are we going to get the EZ out again? Rob and I went out in the delta, it was cooool! And I think I just about have the house in control for a while so riding more looks like a good possability. next time your at 3600 on the second floor north grab a soda or something from the sunshine club and put my name on a IOU and drop it in the bucket (freaks the wife out).
                    I was out puttin' around yesterday some, looking forward to doing a Delta ride though! Thanks for the heads up on 3600, I thought she was at 4111..... I'll maybe just drop in an IOU with your name on it, and skip taking the soda...anything in particular I should write? Like, Hi Hon stopped in to see you, but you must have been out partying with your co-workers...so I took a soda, Love, Kent??

Comment

Well I hope she has a good sense of humor....I dropped in an IOU with your name on it, I didn't take anything though....I may have seen her (if I knew what she looked like....) giving me the evil eye as I was borrowing a pen to write the IOU though 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Working...
                      X