HJC Sy-Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJC Sy-Max

Well I noticed a few posts on HJC Helmets and such, and when I was going to buy mine, didn't find a review here on it. I got to ride about 120 miles this weekend with my new lid, so here goes.

I really wanted a flip up face shield helmet this year. I have heard all the talk about how they aren't Snell approved, they aren't as safe and what not, but I don't care- it's worth it to me to have the luxury of the flip up face shield. I find that anything that makes my riding more comfortable also in turn makes me a safer rider, and having the ability to flip up the face shield and shake some of my claustriphobia is a good thing.

Anyway, on to the helmet itself. I got it from a small Harley shop down the road. The guy does lots of stuff for me for my snowmobile and he gives me great deals. Even though he had to order it, he only charged me $229. That is with the silver paint. It took him an entire day to get it, I had to wait a whole 24 hours!! The quality looks great. The finish is fantasic, all the trim is fastened really well and the face shield is solid. I put it on and evaluated the fit. I've been using HJC helmets for the snowmobile for years, so I knew it would fit me well. The liner is really nice, it's that DuPont Cool Max mesh and looks like it will be comfortable in the summer. The face shiled is actuated by a single clip in the front, and makes audiable clicks ot wide open or closed. After 3 times of opening and closing the chin bar, it has become like second nature. The face shiled can be removed with out any tools, and I can actually do it while it's on my head- it's that easy. I will be getting a yellow tint sheild for overcast days and a dk smoke shield for sunny days. I never got other shields for my Shoei helmet becasue I couldn't see myself changing the shield often, it was too much of a pain. With the helmet came a couple of extra ear pads to lessen the noise level if desired and a really nice helmet bag with a cinch cord. I will be carrying that with me all the time as I don't want this helmet to end up looking like my old, chipped, beat up Shoei.

On to the road test, as that was what I was most concerned with. I had heard people say they are noisy at speed and seem to catch the air and casue neck pain. I experienced none of that. It was quieter than my Shoei and seemed very areodynamic. A few runs at 90mph with no fairing proved all I needed to know- it was fine at speed. Very quiet and comfortable. I was able to wear my regular sunglasses no problems whatsoever and even found that I could use my cell phone ear bud and boom mic with no discomfort at all. Very cool.

The biggest surprise was the lack of fogging. I bought this model partly becasue I know HJC makes a breath deflector for it. The guy I bought it from had one in stock, so I told him to hold onto it while I test out the helmet. I've had fogging problems like you wouldn't believe on every helmet I've owned- generally if it is cooler than 60 degrees, I'll have to either use a breath deflector or keep the shield open, and I have very sensitive eyes, so the latter is not good for me. Anyone who has used a breath deflector knows how much they are annoying, they take some getting used to and even then aren't ever comfortable (I'm a little claustriphobic, can you tell?). This weekend I left the house and it was 40 degrees out. I experienced virtually no fogging of the face shield. The helmet seems really well designed in this way, the vents on the chin bar are directed to ports just underneath the visor and pointing straight up. My Shoei, a $400 helmet, wasn't this well thought out- the vents just point straight to your mouth, and don't do anything to prevent fogging. There is also a vent on the top of the helmet that controls two ports that vent the upper cavity of the helmet. Both vents were really easy to use even while riding and with my gloves on- my Shoei vents are hard to use while the helmet is off and you don't have gloves on!

Overall I would give the HJC Sy-Max two huge thumbs up. Fit, finish and function are all better than expected for a sub $300 helmet, and the engineering behind the venting system is perfect. I love it. I agonized over this decision for quite some time, as I was so unhappy with my $400 Shoei that I was afraid of the same thing happening this time. I tried on the following models of flip up chin bar helmets- Shoei, Nolan, Bell and a few others I don't remember becasue they were cheap and didn't fit right. This one fit me the best and I liked all the features.

One last note to anyone shopping around for these- HJC now makes a less expensive version of the Sy-Max called the CL-Max. It just came out this year and retails for around $179. The difference seems to be that the CL-Max is a thremoplastic shell helmet, the Sy-Max is a fiberglass shell. The weight is a little less on the Sy-Max. I feel better with the fiberglass anyway, and the fit and finish of the Sy-Max seemed better.

I love my new brain bucket!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Jethro,

I also have been considering getting a flip up helmet as I am tired of my old Shoie RF 200 (its got to be 20 yrs old). I tried on the Nolan and another brand last year, the Noland fit well and I liked it but I had not seen the SY-Max. I will take a look. Thanks.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Jethro, I would have to agree with mostly everything you said as being my findings as well. As a matter of fact I like mine so much and it is still in such good shape after three years of use that I may get it painted to match my bike when I paint the bike instead of getting a new one to do that to as originally thought.

Once you ride with a flip up, you don?t want to go back. I have a non-flip up helmet that I used a few times and every time I would pull up to a stop and want to talk to the rider next to me I would grab for the chin-up and it wasn't there. Very frustrating. I like my Sy-Max flip up The HJC Sy-Max rocks - for me anyway...

Mine looks like this:

Check out the snow snow Sy-Max

Comment

Check out the snow snow Sy-Max
        Yeah, I'm stoked that I can get a heated shield for this, although my HJC snow helmet is pretty awesome, it doesn't have a flip up chin bar.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

For clothing and helmet reviews, try this: http://motorcyclegearreview.com/

Comment

Wow, lots of reviews on that site say the helmet leaks in the rain. That's no good, but I'm suprised to hear it. I ride my HJC snow helmet in the rain often with no problems.

Anyone else with a Sy-Max notice that it leaks bad in the rain?
            Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Wow, lots of reviews on that site say the helmet leaks in the rain. That's no good, but I'm suprised to hear it. I ride my HJC snow helmet in the rain often with no problems.

Anyone else with a Sy-Max notice that it leaks bad in the rain?
              You just have to close the top vent. Mine doesn't then. If you leave that open some can come in yes.

Comment

You just have to close the top vent. Mine doesn't then. If you leave that open some can come in yes.
                Well that would make sense.

Bought a nice mirrored shield for it yesterday. Should be good for the bright days.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

I bought the HJC CL-Max at the motorcycle show in Jan. I had to replace my other helmet after my accident last fall, and the CL-Max was the only way I could get a flip-up and stay in budget. It isn't quite as nice as my father's Sy-Max, but it is better than not having the flip-up face.

As far as the flip-ups not passing Snell cert. goes, I figure if I'm going fast enough for the difference in impact resistance to be a factor, I'm probably in deep sh!t no matter which helmet I have on.
                  JP
                  1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                  1992 Concours
                  2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                  2007 FJR

Comment

Wanted to resurrect this thread and get everybody's long term review. How's the Sy-max hold up after a year or so. I'm looking into buying a flip up helmet this year and I've been really happy with all the other HJC helmets I've owned, so I'm looking at the Sy-max first. Long term impressions on the CL-max would be appreciated too.

Comment

They don't pass the certification because of the hinge....

Originally posted by jpaul View Post

As far as the flip-ups not passing Snell cert. goes, I figure if I'm going fast enough for the difference in impact resistance to be a factor, I'm probably in deep sh!t no matter which helmet I have on.
                      The hinge is thin but still there, a hunk of plastic on the inside of the shell. In a side impact it will damage your head around the ear area, which is a bad place to have your head damaged. In an impact on any other area of the helmet, they are every bit as safe as a regular helmet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        The hinge is thin but still there, a hunk of plastic on the inside of the shell. In a side impact it will damage your head around the ear area, which is a bad place to have your head damaged. In an impact on any other area of the helmet, they are every bit as safe as a regular helmet.
                        Yes, very true... take a look at the tag line by Harry Hurt in my sig.
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Dexx View Post
                          Wanted to resurrect this thread and get everybody's long term review. How's the Sy-max hold up after a year or so. I'm looking into buying a flip up helmet this year and I've been really happy with all the other HJC helmets I've owned, so I'm looking at the Sy-max first. Long term impressions on the CL-max would be appreciated too.
                          My helmet has held up very, very well. After I had a few months with my Sy-Max, I worried that the latch for the chin bar would wear out quickly, becasue I tend to open and close the thing on average 20 times an hour. But no problems, even after last year and about 12000 miles. I love the helmet so much that I have bought one for snow sports as well. The finish is like any other helmet I've had, chips here and there from small impacts, the occasional roll on the pavement, etc. If I could be more carefull the lid would still look like new. As it is, it still looks great becasue I got the silver, and the primer is white, as is the fiberglass I believe, so small dings are hard to see. The liner is still in great shape, it's held up very well. The side attachments for the shield have also stayed solid. Even on my $350 Shoei the shield hinges became weak after a year. Granted you can replace these, but no need on the Sy-Max.

In short, I will be using these helmets for as long as they make them. I like the appearance, the build quality, the fit, form and function... can't say enough good about it. I am very tempted to try the Nolen version though, but I am not a fan of clip style chin straps. Give me the "D" rings any day.
                          Currently bikeless

Comment

Jethro,

You originally started this thread over a year ago, and I'm interested in your long term evaluation of your Sy-max. How's it holding up?

Comment

Originally posted by Dexx View Post
                              Jethro,

You originally started this thread over a year ago, and I'm interested in your long term evaluation of your Sy-max. How's it holding up?
                              See post #13 written today!!\\/
                              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                              X