Getting dusted by a GS1150E back in 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting dusted by a GS1150E back in 1984

Me and a friend were riding around on a summer Saturday evening. I was on my trusty 78 Kawasaki Z1R and he was on a 81 CB900F. I had a Kerker pipe, jetted with Pod filters. I had already seen the GS1100's but all of a sudden a new GS1150 rolled up. At first I didn't think it was a good looking bike. With the small front tire and the way the tail light was made into the back of the seat. It had a chrome header on it but I could not tell if it had pods because of the way the side covers were. He asked if I wanted to run my bike and I said yes. We were on an open road and we were taking off when the light turned green. I got the Kaw ready, I was holding about 4 grand on the tach. As soon as the green came on I came out on the clutch and hammered the throttle. The old Z1R with Comp baffle was out first..... but only for a minute. I ran it up to around 9 grand and was just fixing to hit 2nd gear when the big GS1150 came by ON THE BACK TIRE! I remember seeing a black mark on the road as he pulled away in 3rd. Not a smoking tire, just the bike on the edge of traction leaving a nice black mark. That 1150 hurt my feelings and I sold the Kawasaki and bought a brand new 86 GS1150E in late 85. I never really even talked with the guy again but he made a GS,er out of me. And I thought my Z1R was fast. You think that guy enjoyed that?

Man that is a badass story! Flying by on the back wheel and burning third gear! sweeeeet. I'm still wondering how I'm gonna get my 750 in the air.

Comment

You were poofed by the 1150 i'd say

Comment

Yea, It really made me want one of those 1150's. At the local tracks (Dragstrips) They were everywhere just like Hayabusa's are now.

Comment

Take an 1150 to the track today that has some mild work done to it and the guys on the Busa's just CAN"T understand how a 20 year old big heavy bike can even keep up, much less beat 'em !! !!

Comment

It's getting harder to do that now. around here there are a bunch of Busa's with Motorhead cheap turbo kits ($3695) that make 270 RWHP. My friend runs a new 636 Kaw. and runs 6.80's (1/8th) all day long on it. the new liter bikes are faster too. Don't get me wrong I love the GS but all the new bikes with F.I. and dry NOS kits that bolt on. It makes it hard to keep up these days.

Comment

I wonder what the engine lifespan is on a bus thats pushing 270 hp.
              I doubt its anything to write home about and I expect a rebuild on a bus makes a GS rebuild seem like a Briggs and Stratton single.

Earl

Originally posted by Big_T
              It's getting harder to do that now. around here there are a bunch of Busa's with Motorhead cheap turbo kits ($3695) that make 270 RWHP. My friend runs a new 636 Kaw. and runs 6.80's (1/8th) all day long on it. the new liter bikes are faster too. Don't get me wrong I love the GS but all the new bikes with F.I. and dry NOS kits that bolt on. It makes it hard to keep up these days.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T
                i wonder how many no turbo or nos bikes that are run on the street can beat a slightly modified 1100e or an 1150. In fact how many of them can beat a stock 1100 or 1150

Comment

Working...
                X