Kudoo's to the lowly SP250 emergency backup bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudoo's to the lowly SP250 emergency backup bike

This is a having a bad GS clutch day, While putting a new clutch in the ol 850GL, I got my new gee wiz ebay racing clutch with racing springs installed, But WOW unless I wanna a grip like Gov Arnold I've just gotta put those stock springs back in, also the way I can't hold it back in first with clutch pulled in or find nuetral anymore, soooo back in again with stock springs an go for a ride and open the throttle, and if this bike accellerated as fast as the tach did I'd have a fire breathing dragon. soo back to the garage.
    The new clutch is a 9 pack with extra metal plate, soo I put the extra plate and clutch plate in (9 thin versus 8 thick) and while tightening the bolts on the clutch, one of the bolts had the bad responce of giving up the ghost and the head snapped off. Luck had it with a punch and 2 picks the remainder of the broken bolt came right out(close call on that one) So I go to the neighbor to get a ride to the auto parts store, no luck there. (I don't own a car, only bikes) his wife has the car.
    Taa Daa, the lowly SP250 is more than willing to rescue me and take me to the car parts store. But wait the tabs are expired, The 250 is willing to wear the 850's plate( I know, children don't try this at your house) to keep me from being glaringly obvious to the tax collectors with guns. It's been sitting for numerous months with all it's pegs, shifter, kick starter, battery, and sidecovers up in the bathroom,(we have a theft problem) I put those things on and she fires up on the first kick and off we go to get the 850 a new bolt.
    She saves the day, She was slated to be a GS but was stunted and only grew 1 lung, 1 lung short of even a GS250 and 3 lungs short of every GS above a GS550, and her electrical never grew above 6 volts, hey she's even willing to go with a dead battery if I'm willing to go without turn signals, all she asks for is a little stabil to keep from gumming up, and an occasional rub down, And when we do go out she'd like to jump the speed bumps on the way out.
    Enough with the race clutch and springs, stock goes back in, and the stock measured out O.K. with no warpage in the steel plates and an order to Bike Bandit for 6 new bolts just to be safe, we'll try a new clutch later, but at least I got the whole clutch cover polished and that nasty looking, oil sight glass cleaned.so it wasn't a total loss.Thanks for letting me sing praises for a wanna be GS the SP250Z
    Biking in Seattle is fun.

Woo-Hoo!! it always pays to have a backup bike! My backup is also a GS though
    Dink

Comment

Working...
    X