Perfect fitting oil cooler adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect fitting oil cooler adapter

I scanned through the postings and cant find anything on this awesome product, this also is being written to K.Krauss as he wanted to know how it works.
    I bought an oil cooler but I needed the adapter (the part the the oil pressure wire fits to) I needed the part with 2 lines running out of it so I could bolt up the oil cooler lines, Well I couldn't find them!

Terry (sherriffbuck@yahoo.com) who lives in New Zealand who posts on this site e-mailed me and said that he knows exactly what I need and he could make me one for $120, which included purchase of the block billet, milling it all out and mailing it off.

Well, I bit the bullet and it came in last week, 1st off it looks wonderful, perfectly machined and very professionally done.
    2nd, perfectly threaded top thread (oil pressure switch) perfectly fitted (included oil temp sender).
    3rd, a bit of fiddling to get it on, I had to take off the carbs and timing chain adjuster (but it was all off anyway due to putting new rings in)
    Above all, if your thinking of buying one from this very professional machinist, Go ahead, I give him 2 thumbs up.
    Oh! it also comes with the gasket that goes underneath it.
    Once on and running, it does not leak and it's working well, My cooler lines (not included) are hot, so I know it's all working well.

Thanks for the review. I'll order one sooner or later. I still have to find an oil cooler I like. The Lockhart 700 series isn't made anymore, so I'm not sure what I want. I'll probably make a topic asking everyones opinion on what brand of oil cooler to buy. I want a new one, not anything used.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I had an oil cooler on my 850 for most of it's existence. I still have the Lockhart I bought in 1980, and I intend to put it back on. I also bought one of Terry's adapters, though I still have the one that came with the cooler intitially. Several of us have purchased the adapter, but I don't recall seeing anyone who has actually installed theirs. I want to hear how well it seals against the case. It is flat on the bottom where the stock plate from there and my lockhart adapter have a lip to fit over the opening.

What I am waiting for is someone to announce they have rigged up a fan to pull air through the cooler when the bike is still.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

the bike is 12 volt. Comptuer fans are 12 volt. Computer fans are also free/cheap :-)
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

What I am waiting for is someone to announce they have rigged up a fan to pull air through the cooler when the bike is still.
          My sentiments exactly.

Nerobro, have you don't that before? I'm wondering if it would be enough air flow?

As for the Oil Cooler adapter......

To be continued......... 8) 8)

May not want to order just yet, if you can wait. 8) 8)

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            Thanks for the review. I'll order one sooner or later. I still have to find an oil cooler I like. The Lockhart 700 series isn't made anymore, so I'm not sure what I want. I'll probably make a topic asking everyones opinion on what brand of oil cooler to buy. I want a new one, not anything used.
            I bought a new Derrlle <--sp? and still haven't installed it because ...

I don't have a bike to put it on! :x But when I do I will also need this adaptor.

I was told you can use that bolt on the side just above the case cover though? Is their alternate ways of installing the lines on these bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
              I am working on that design Don and will gladly be posting once it is done. You are going to want to push your air through it though instead of pulling it so as to not cook the fan itself. My idea however is a bit larger scale and uses a fan large enough that it will actually move a little air over the entire top end.

I almost cooked my GS in the summer of 03 sitting in traffic trying to get into the Carlisle bike show for over 1.5 hours. Having a fan that moves even a little air over the heads and through an oil cooler would have made all the difference.

So far I am thinking of using the dual fan assemble off a liquid cooled street bike radiator and modifying the shroud so that air passes right through it even when the fans are not on. This will be wired to a switch so that it can be turned on and off as needed.

I am also going to try to make the design so that it is quickly and easily removed and installed so I can have it on or off as desired.

I have given it a bit of thought for a while now and even have some rough drawings. When I get my bike back I will be working on it.

Anyone is welcome to beat me to it. It's just my idea and I would love to see it working so if someone wants to jump on it before I have it done I certainly would not be offended.

Comment

On the 1000, I would only use the adapter that mounts where the pressure switch is to run oil through the cooler. Don't know about that bolt you're talking about. Oh yeah, THAT bolt. If I ever add a cooler, I'll get the adapter as I said, but I might tap into that bolt to mount a cool looking temp' gauge.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                  On the 1000, I would only use the adapter that mounts where the pressure switch is to run oil through the cooler. Don't know about that bolt you're talking about. Oh yeah, THAT bolt. If I ever add a cooler, I'll get the adapter as I said, but I might tap into that bolt to mount a cool looking temp' gauge.
                  I have seen pressure gauges on there too.

Comment

G'Day Guys, first off, thanks for that Phil, I appreciate the praise, although I need to correct you, I actually live in AUSTRALIA, New Zealand is a little country to the south east where they all talk funny and have meaningful relationships with sheep.

Now there's still a few doubting Thomases out there which is a bit sad, I reckon I've made at least 20 of these cooler adapters in the last couple of years, all for GS Resources guys. (I don't advertise, as they're a pain in the butt to make with my non-CNC Lathe and Milling Machine) All have emailed me with their thanks and at least half have posted that they've fitted them with no problems and they work very well, so I'm surprised that regular readers/posters aren't aware that my adapters actually work. (without leaking oil)

No biggie, as I said, they are a pain in the butt to make, but I started making them when I saw that the only available item (the Earls ED30) had been discontinued and my only other alternative was to buy one from a company in Britain that sells them for $280.00 plus shipping! (mine look better too) I've done a bit of research, and compared to the old cast "pot metal" adapters that were around in the 1970's and early 1980's, my fully machined 6061 T6 billet alloy adapters are as good, and probably better, than the competition.

I purposely use simple to procure items like paper gaskets and commercial size "O" rings, so generations of GS owners can use my adapters long after I've stopped making them, and in some cases, they will probably outlive their bikes. My adapters allow the use of the stock oil pressure switch, and if you're lucky enough to own an old GS1000S like mine, I can drill and tap it for your factory oil temp switch, or as an option, I can supply non "S" owners with a switch so you can install a temp gauge too.

I've even fitted an oil pressure gauge for one GS Resources guy who wanted oil temp gauge, oil pressure light and an oil pressure gauge too. It looked really cool with braided stainless lines everywhere, ha ha! Anyway guys, I started this reply to thank Phil for his kind words and have ended up defending my adapters, so I apologise for that, I don't want to turn Phils post into another "X Pipe" debate. (or debacle)

Just a word on the cooling fan thing though guys, a computer fan isn't gonna do much to push sufficient cool air over your cylinder/head area at a usefull rate on such a big engine, and a big thermo fan will block more air flow, exacerbating the problem. (no to mention SERIOUSLY messing with the aesthetics)

My advice (for what it's worth) is to use the best quality oil (and filter) and change it no more than every 2000 miles. Here in AUSTRALIA I use Penrite HPR 40, (with my cooler of course) and even on a hot Aussie day, (100 deg F plus) I don't have any overheating problems, even when I used to commute in and out of the city (Melbourne) on a daily basis. Just my $0.02 guys, Cheers, Terry. (Cooler King) :twisted:

Comment

oil cooler

OOOOPS! Sorry, my mistake on the New Zealand issue, I know you dont have a sheep issue!
                      Great post though, Cmon guys, if you want an oil adapter from this guy, go ahead and get one.
                      My lines that I bought locally were only $1.75 a foot and fitting everthing up was about 2 hours.

Comment

Hi Terry. Thanks for that info. Sounds to me like you're making a quality part. I plan to order one but I still have to find a cooler I like. Then I'm not sure what to do for lines, fittings, etc.
                        I heard the discontinued Lockhart 700 series cooler was about 4 3/4" X 8". I heard I shouldn't get one any smaller than that for my '79 1000E, which has a 1085 kit and we have hot summers here too. Can you recommend any brand of cooler please? Derale? Jag?...I would rather buy new than used. Thanks for helping us out with the adapters.

Comment

G'Day Keith, no worries mate, I personally like the Derale coolers because they're a very strong, simple tube construction which allows a high rate of flow to suit our low pressure/high flow oil pumps.

They're a pretty universal fit so apart from possibly having to make your own bracket out of a piece of alloy or steel plate, it's all pretty straight forward, and good used derale coolers can be found on ebay for under 50 bucks.

The Lockhard coolers are good too, but a little fragile, and the chrome ones peel pretty quickly. I haven't used the Jag cooler, but I read a psot somewhere from a guy who used one on a Honda CB750 racer and he was stoked. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks for that info Terry! If Derale's good enough for you, it's good enough for me. Any model you recommend?
                            Also, can I just use regular re-inforced rubber hoses and clamps, or do I look for threaded fittings/crimped connectors? Excuse my ignorance about oil coolers, just learning.

Comment

G'Day Keith, there are a couple of coolers on ebay now that'd be fine, I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that all the Derale coolers of the era were of the same basic design, and some had in-built thermostats that bypass the oil if it's too cold, so if you can find one of them, it's a bonus.

You can use any auto transmission hose, as I use "Push On" type fittings, (as does Derale) but you can buy that neat earls braided line (just transmission hose with a stainless sheath) and trick anodised covers for the hose clamps and fittings. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X