Awesome weekend of riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome weekend of riding

Went to visit my buddy in Western Mass this weekend. Took a round-a-bout way there and back of course. The weather was incredable all weekend- sunny and warm with a high of 65 on Sat. and 70 on Sun. It's about 75 miles to my buddies house as a straight shot, but I made that a 160 mile trip there and a 220 mile day back on Sunday.

Hooked the GPS up to the battery before I left using some hardware I had laying around from an electric faceshield wiring harness for the snowmobile helmet. It has a quick disconnect right at the tankbag, the harness connecter comes out by the steering tube. Worked awesome all weekend. That thing can get you in trouble though, it's so accurate and gives you so much confidence that you just say "OK, I'll try this road." Next thing I know, I'm on a dirt road going through a tobacco field because it's a shortcut through to the main route I wanted to hit. Worked perfect though. It is awesome to have a moving digital map right on the tankbag. I think someone could make big money making a tank bag where the entire top is a screen attached to a GPS reciever. My maps are accurate, but a big huge screen would be really nice.

The bike ran flawlessly, I'm really getting used to it now. I only feel a little sore. I have found that at crusing speeds of 55-65 on the back roads, if I keep it in 4th, I am constantly in the sweet spot of the torque. 4-5000rpm and the bike just feels like it's electric, powered by some kind of nuclear turbine with buckets of power at the ready as soon as I twist the throttle.

The rear Metzler is not far away from death, that is a bummer seeing as it was basically new when I bought the bike in September. I've put maybe 2300 miles on it since I got it. I knew I was gonna burn it out quickly from what I have read on the forum. Time to get a pair of Dunlops installed.

I am getting about 190 miles to the tank when I ride touring style before hitting reserve. I assume that I could see 230 miles to the entire tank. That should be right around 42 MPG, way better than my 81 1100E ever saw. Absolutely awesome.

The hills of western Mass are killer riding. I lived there for about 9 years, and didn't really appreciate the roads and terrain as much as I should. Anyone looking to hit that area should make sure to ride routes 116, 112 and 8A. These roads are intense. 116 and 112 are both super twisty with a pretty standard speed limit of 50 mph. 8A is even twistier and follows a killer river through the hills. Speed limits average 35 on this backcountry road, but there are a few sections to let the engine breathe. The road surface can be a little questionable at times, so I kept my speed to under 50 in the corners.

Saw tons of bikes out, the commradery was there, lots of waves going back and forth from the Goldwingers to the V-Twins, to the sportbike crowd. All in all a terrific weekend on the bike.

I love my motorcycle.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Sounds like a good trip and the weather was certainly awesome. Dirt roads?

I did yardwork on Saturday and visited family then on Sunday my 3 mos old was baptised and we had people over the house.

...but on Saturday with every stroke of that rake I was thinking about riding.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

No dirt roads

And my yard still looks like crap. But hey, I have to fit in here in NH! It's tough to keep up with the neighbors and thier plastic crap piles and junk cars!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Lucky you, I was out in Atlanta, not quite so scenic(sp?) plus I had to limp home on three cylinders. I was definately feeling the love this weekend, and contrary to what people say on here the sportbike crowd was doing the majority of the waving. (of course the sportbike crowd is most of ATL).

anyways good to hear that someone had a good weekend.

Comment

Sounds like a good time.

Sounds like lots of good riding this weekend.

Get the new tires on soon. Not much time left til Asheville. 8)

Comment

Re: Awesome weekend of riding

Originally posted by Jethro
            Next thing I know, I'm on a dirt road going through a tobacco field because it's a shortcut through to the main route I wanted to hit.
            Originally posted by Jethro
            No dirt roads
            hmmm somethings fishy, you actually didn't ride at all this weekend did you?! You're just trying to make us think you did this stuff, while actually you just drove your truck. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Looks like a good ride though, I did a brake job, and buzzed around on my 3 wheeler with the kids.

Comment

Rock on Jethro! It's one of the joys of life man

Comment

I did the 116 route last week after riding with you Geoff. Nice road, but I got stuck behind some cars halfway thru. Hopped on 8A and came back on 2.
                Nice riding 8) 8)
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Sounds like you had a good time Jethro. Did about 175 miles yesterday. Met up with some fellow GSers and had some breakfast. Unfortunately, I had to go straight home after breakfast. (As per the wife ) But had fun running home and waving at absolutely every bike I passed!

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                  X