Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS1K Carb Rejet? Bad Fuel Economy - KEITH KRAUSE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1K Carb Rejet? Bad Fuel Economy - KEITH KRAUSE!

OK Keith I have decided to take you up on your offer. First off, my bike is running out of gas at exactly 83 miles no matter if I ride hard or light. I have to switch to reserve at 82.5 to 83 miles. It's like clock work. I do the math when I fuel up and I am seeing a very consistent 24 miles to the gallon.

You say you think it is jetting? I have no idea so I am open to suggestions. I have an idea though that will help us get this done with no risk of rendering my bike inoperable due to my inexperience with carb work. It is simply this:

I have two racks of these carbs 8) I still have the stock ones off my other 1k which are the same carbs. So I figure we pull these off and tape them up and store them while we play. If I can't get it going with the other carbs I can always throw these that came on the bike back in and it will at least run. What do you think? Just start fresh with these other carbs? They were jetted for the same exact K&N pods and for my V&H megaphone pipe. Let me know if this sounds like a plan?

I took a plug read, here they are numbered 1 - 4:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAIA!kWM3iTFeu6GTTtmPkBfBVHmdX65wx*ZuurTSYR9iqkZ 5YrnngKIr5FEtAjQGcQM77bO2VM4THc!2wtsiiC3q2jNc8T*G! MDFqa0SFsNzs77uuNZQ/FrstRead.jpg[/img]

Tell me what you think man?

It smokes black like it is loading up but those plugs don't look that bad. They are tan although #3 is notably whiter than the others.

it just looks like you have dirty carbs from those plugs. #2 looks good, 1 is a little lean, 3 is way lean (check the intake boots for cracks or a leaking vacum hose goign to the petcock or a bad pet cock. ) and 4 is rich. if you are happy with the way the other carbs ran and are sure they are clean go ahead and slap them on they should be fine. then take the time and pull the other carbs apart and learn to clean them, especailly for a guy with almost 4 bikes. oh yeah check the intake boot o rings as well. you want to get this all sorted out before you start adjusting your carbs.

keep in mind this is a older bike and probly wasn't reved very high for a while so it may be throwing a little more then normal black smoke/soot when you crank on it. be sure to change the oil and filter soon to especally after riding it hard, it may dislodge some old gunk.

check your oil level while at it, see if you flooded gas into the oil, i'm wondering if you have a bad pet cock.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hi Mark. Sorry for the delay. It's late and I'm a slow typer. I'll try to get back tomorrow night with more info.
      Briefly, you should get a DJ kit to re-jet the carb set that's in the best condition. My experience is the stock jet needles don't give good enough results, especially with K&N's and a quality pipe like the V&H.
      Remember, I said earlier that as long as the motor is mechanically sound and you have good spark, THEN I believe your poor mileage is carb related.
      Your plug reads don't indicate much unless you know what the throttle setting was to produce those reads. Also, if the carbs are out of synch, you'll get uneven reads such as shown. Those reads don't seem to indicate a bike that's getting only 21 mpg though.
      If you want to do a first rate rebuild/re-jet of the carbs, which generally includes a DJ kit and all new o-rings too, let me know. If not, I can still try to help you with the jetting, etc, but don't expect as good of results.
      One quick thought: any chance the petcock is different on your bike? Some PO could have installed a petcock with a higher reserve tube? Possible. I'm sure your carbs need at least typical maint', etc, but I just thought I'd mention that. The GS1000 tank has 1 gallon remaining when you hit reserve on level ground. Instead of taking out the petcock to check, maybe you could drain the gas out after it hits reserve to be sure the petcock is stock.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
        it just looks like you have dirty carbs from those plugs. #2 looks good, 1 is a little lean, 3 is way lean (check the intake boots for cracks or a leaking vacum hose goign to the petcock or a bad pet cock. ) and 4 is rich. if you are happy with the way the other carbs ran and are sure they are clean go ahead and slap them on they should be fine. then take the time and pull the other carbs apart and learn to clean them, especailly for a guy with almost 4 bikes. oh yeah check the intake boot o rings as well. you want to get this all sorted out before you start adjusting your carbs.

keep in mind this is a older bike and probly wasn't reved very high for a while so it may be throwing a little more then normal black smoke/soot when you crank on it. be sure to change the oil and filter soon to especally after riding it hard, it may dislodge some old gunk.

check your oil level while at it, see if you flooded gas into the oil, i'm wondering if you have a bad pet cock.

-ryan
        I'll have to look at some drawings to see this intake o-ring you speak of? Is that in the boot? Seems it would be a nightmare to install if that's the case?

Here is what was just done to the bike before I bought it. Carbs cleaned and rebuilt. Tune up kit (new points and condenser) Petcock rebuilt, oil and filter change, new tires.

There is one of those stupid little lawn tractor clear inline fuel filters on it and you can see it is starving it for gas as the down tube after it going into the carbs is 80% empty when the bike is running. Thats the first thing to go. I just found this last night while getting ready to start this thread. They have it tucked up under the tank in a way that I had to look up under with a flash light to see it. Now I know it's there and it is gone!

There is no gas in the oil. The rider before me puppied it compared to how I ride it. I am sure it's throwing carbon as the oil is black already.

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        Hi Mark. Sorry for the delay. It's late and I'm a slow typer. I'll try to get back tomorrow night with more info.
        Briefly, you should get a DJ kit to re-jet the carb set that's in the best condition. My experience is the stock jet needles don't give good enough results, especially with K&N's and a quality pipe like the V&H.
        Remember, I said earlier that as long as the motor is mechanically sound and you have good spark, THEN I believe your poor mileage is carb related.
        Your plug reads don't indicate much unless you know what the throttle setting was to produce those reads. Also, if the carbs are out of synch, you'll get uneven reads such as shown. Those reads don't seem to indicate a bike that's getting only 21 mpg though.
        If you want to do a first rate rebuild/re-jet of the carbs, which generally includes a DJ kit and all new o-rings too, let me know. If not, I can still try to help you with the jetting, etc, but don't expect as good of results.
        One quick thought: any chance the petcock is different on your bike? Some PO could have installed a petcock with a higher reserve tube? Possible. I'm sure your carbs need at least typical maint', etc, but I just thought I'd mention that. The GS1000 tank has 1 gallon remaining when you hit reserve on level ground. Instead of taking out the petcock to check, maybe you could drain the gas out after it hits reserve to be sure the petcock is stock.

No worries mate

I'll give it the go over you say. The other rack of carbs I have are already DJ and needles and were setup for K&N pods and a V&H so it may already have the jets it needs for this Kerker? But! This is the rack that was on my other 1k when it was getting only 22 MPG!!! What else could make for such bad fuel economy?

The plug read was dumb I guess. I simply pulled them out from in the garage so that was after normal riding. Which is always spirited for me although yesterday I was taking my time on the way home being backed up in traffic.

The petcock has a longer reserve tube in it for sure Keith. I can only fit 3.2 to 3.4 gallons in after having to switch. And that is after a few miles on reserve as well. I am not worried about that and the petcock has a fresh rebuild so it is fine that way. But still the math comes out to 24 MPG.

Not good at all. Plus it always smells gasey. Even Amos said he could smell the gas while following me.

Let me pull apart these other carbs and look at them. We'll start there. In the mean time I'll get that inline fuel filter out of these and get a true plug read from a nice 1 or 2+ mile steady run at say 65?

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Hi Hoomie, the o-ring is between the intake boot and the cylinder head it is part #28 in the fiche.

Comment

Mark, before making any jetting changes, I would do a vacuum synch on the carbs. With plug reads like that, youre shooting in the dark.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks George. That makes sense. Can it be any o-ring? Like from a hardware store of does it need to be ordered special? Heat/fuel resistant?

Originally posted by earlfor
              Mark, before making any jetting changes, I would do a vacuum synch on the carbs. With plug reads like that, youre shooting in the dark.

Earl
              Thanks Earl. I have been wanting to learn that anyway. What do I need before I start? Is this where I need that funky tool with the four hoses? I may be able to borrow one from Paparo unless it is cheap and easy to find or maybe make?

I have the advantage of this second rack of carbs to play with so I can have at it.

Comment

Mark, I would order an OEM ones, they are not very expensive about $2 each. They do need to be heat resistant and some of the aftermarket ones are not quite as thick as OEM's are. I think that is the problem that I'm having with mine now. I used the ones from a rebuild kit and I think they may be leaking, so I've ordered OEM's from crotchrocket, just got them yesterday so I'll probably put them on this weekend.

Comment

Would some hi-heat RTV or maybe the non-hardening stuff used on header gaskets be a help? maybe an assist or do you want to leave them dry for a reason?

Comment

Mark, I don't know about using RTV, but I usually coat mine with high temp grease. It helps hold the o-ring inplace and helps make a seal.

Comment

Mark, you cannot use RTV in any application where it will come into contact with gasoline.

E.

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      Would some hi-heat RTV or maybe the non-hardening stuff used on header gaskets be a help? maybe an assist or do you want to leave them dry for a reason?
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong

But i thought it was recommended for a good plug reading, that you should be hauling arse and then hit the kill switch, and take a reading

Comment

I've gotten quite good at plug readings. I've pulled the plugs more times this winter than I pulled my....

I take plug readings at three places. At idle (although I check this last), at about 3500rpm in 4th gear going on a flat road for a few miles, and then at wide open in 5th (must be done on the highway).
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                            Mark, you cannot use RTV in any application where it will come into contact with gasoline.

E.

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                            Thx again Earl. This is all good stuff.

Originally posted by wrench
                            Correct me if i'm wrong

But i thought it was recommended for a good plug reading, that you should be hauling arse and then hit the kill switch, and take a reading
                            That's what i read as well John. I am going to be doing that.

OK, who has a stock airbox for me?

Comment

Hi Mark. Finally got some time.
                              First of all, buy the genuine Suzuki o-rings for the manifolds. Apply some hi-temp bearing grease to them. If you have the Phillips replaced with Allens, torque to 6 ft/lb.
                              I would use the carbs that already have the DJ kit.
                              Now as for your bad gas mileage and us blaming it all on the carbs, you have to be reasonably sure the bike is ready to be re-jetted/synched.
                              Compression, valve clearances, spark quality/timing, clean/oiled filters, all have to be good before tuning the carbs. After all this stuff has been checked, then you can test and re-jet. Don't cut any corners or the jetting is more difficult.
                              I think you said the DJ carbs were cleaned and rebuilt? Did you do the work? I just want to say that I've heard that line many times and actually nothing was done. I've also heard "the filters are cleaned and oiled", but they were really oiled with motor oil. That right there will cause bad gas mileage. As for a good spark, in a darker garage, the spark will be blue and fat. If it's yellow or orange, you have a weak spark. If the above mentioned checks are good, then there are reasons the carbs are wasting gas. One of them is they're probably not clean enough. Another can be the float levels. Another the jetting/synch. The carbs need to be cleaned/inspected.
                              Do you have a good manual or do you need specific info?
                              Are you going to do the work yourself?
                              Have you ever vacuum synched these carbs?
                              Do you have the tool?
                              Do you know how to chop test plugs?
                              As for a plug read, I do recommend a carb synch to get more accurate/uniform reads. If all the other checks are good, to get a solid read for the needle, mark your throttle housing and grip for 1/3 throttle. Make sure the bike's warmed up well, and go a couple of miles at that throttle setting and do a chop test. Avoid hard accelerating at this time. That can glaze the plugs. Just open her up to 1/3 and hold it. This is high speed, but you say that's not a problem for you. :twisted:
                              Any questions? Get back with the reads and we'll go from there.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X