Gunk Caruretor & Parts Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunk Caruretor & Parts Cleaner

I was told to get some carb dip to redo my carbs on my 78 GS1000 vm26ss carbs. Recommended was some Berrymans which I hear good things about. But none was readily available where I went but they did have Gunk brand carb and parts dip. Just like the Berrymans it comes in a 3 quart can with a dipping basket. I used it on my carbs and then came out really nice and clean. Thought I would share.

On their web site it lists for $28.88 USD a can but at the parts store where I went they only charged 11 dollars for it. And hey, it's environmentally responsible! What does that mean? :?

Here is the web site for the product. I posted some pics below of the work it did on my carbs. They look almost new! Obviously it can't remove years of pitting but it sure removed everything else!

They actually look cleaner in person.

They even feel clean

Rock on!

Environmentally responsible yet look what it says on the can. Harmful or fatal if ingested. I guess it depends on the environment :roll:
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
      Environmentally responsible yet look what it says on the can. Harmful or fatal if ingested. I guess it depends on the environment :roll:
      Yeah I thought that part was funny too

There is no way it is a safe chemical when you see how well it cleans off metals by just soaking them in it.

Comment

Environmentally Responsible for what? Oncology careers?

Impressive results though.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Environmentally Responsible for what? Oncology careers?

Hey, I wonder if I buy 1000 gallons of that stuff, if I could just dip my whole bike in it?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Well, it may still be toxic, but they have at least done a few things to reduce the environmental impact. According to the product info:

"This product has been formulated to reduce or eliminate adverse environmental characteristics. It is Non-Corrosive, and contains No Ozone depleters, No Chlorinated Solvents, No Phenols, and No Cresylics."

Given the choice, and seeing that it apparently works well, I'll take the one that is less damaging...

Comment

Mark, it says right on the front of the can ... "see back panel."

I'm assuming the back panel says what PTM just posted...

Nice cleaning job!

Steve 8)

Comment

Well I am cleaning my carbs again and opened my can of Berrymans and found it looked pretty dirty. So I made a special trip to Advance Auto to try the Gunk instead of Berrymans. Gunk works a lot better then the Berrymans ever did and in less time. Gunk actually took off most of the rust on the float bowl drain screws. One of the best things about the Gunk is that you can see the bottom of the can, if you are searching for something small that may have dropped out of the basket. With the Berrymans I had to put on Nitrile gloves and just feel around for any lost parts.

Comment

I never got to use the Berrymans so I didn't know those things.

Looks like I got the good stuff without knowing it then

I figured they both were clear. Look at that picture above of my carbs.
                  They were completely blasted with rusty looking gunk that carb cleaner
                  and a toothbrush was not removing. I got all the passages open and then
                  soaked them and they came out like that. It's really good stuff I guess

Thx for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X