X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hose Covers

Has anybody bought a set of these? Was wondering what kind of
    material its made of. (still waiting answer from seller). Thanks

braided stainless.....Ive seen it for Car engine hoses, I cant really see the point on putting pretend stainless hoses on a bike....epecially when you can have the real thing for a 100 bucks or so

Comment

pretend stainless??? So your saying this is what...plastic?

Comment

No beby what he is saying is that it is only a cosmetic upgrade. A cover. You can buy real stainless braided brake lines that are manufactured and replace your originals.

But this is for cosmetic purposes only and I would say that if you can win one for cheap enough it looks good. I'd do it But those things are all going for 30 and over until the auctions end 8O

Comment

"Real" stainless brake lines are actually teflon tubing on the inside for increased strength and reduced expansion during cylinder actuation, with stainless braid on the outside to protect the tubing from outside forces (rocks, rubbing, etc...). Putting braided stainless over any tube or cable accomplishes little, from a functional perspective.

Why would anyone put those over cables or rubber brake lines? To make it look like you have a high performance bike, I suppose.

Man, I don't get it. I guess it goes with the whole V-Twin/chopper "poser" thing going on right now.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks guys, for your input....as I was only wondering what sort
            of material they are made from. The seller's e-mail came back in error,
            so I ask you guys instead of him. He sure is selling a ton of these
            and thought I might get in the business

Comment

FWIW, you can get these hose cover sets in several colors at any auto parts shop. They're pretty popular with the "2fast 2furious ricer" crowd. And they add twice as many horsepower as a giant "Type R" sticker!

I don't know about the pricing, though. Maybe this seller just has them cheap.

They're not needed at all for SS brake lines, as noted, but a reasonable way to dress up other lines and wires. Just be careful that the cut edges don't abrade anything.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

"Real" stainless brake lines are actually teflon tubing on the inside for increased strength and reduced expansion during cylinder actuation, with stainless braid on the outside to protect the tubing from outside forces (rocks, rubbing, etc...). Putting braided stainless over any tube or cable accomplishes little, from a functional perspective.
                But what about the ones that have the braid molded into the casing itself? My Paragon lines have the braid within the outer casing- however, they might just look like that, and in reality just have a clear cover over the S/S. I always thought that it was the S/S that gave them the reduced expansion, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are just better made lines than the stockers.

Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The Paragon lines have the inner Teflon brake line and the braided stainless cover just like others.

On all brake lines like this, the stainless braid has to be covered by something or it will quickly abrade its way through just about anything it touches. It also protects the stainless steel braid from nicks.

On lesser brake lines (like mine ), they are covered by a simple plastic tube. It's tight-fitting, but it's still a separate piece. Water and brake fluid can still seep in between the layers, so you have to watch for corrosion.

On Paragon lines, this outer layer of plastic is molded or melted into the stainless braid -- the plastic sort of permeates the metal braid rather than just sitting on top.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have seen this type of product at a local auto parts house like Auto Zone. They had some that would take up to 1200 deg of heat. I think the size was 1/4 to 1" not sure but about those size. The price on it was less than $10.00 do not know the lenght.

Comment

Working...
                    X