Rolled 18 thou tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolled 18 thou tonight

Tonight I rolled 18k on the 83 on an after work tour of the local twisties!

Happy Cinco De Mayo!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Happy Cinco de Mayo to you too boss!

Glad to hear you rolled a milestone today, not a bad day to roll up in the Northeast! I'm hoping to hit 18k on my baby this year. Thats barely breaking in these monsters by the sounds, so good luck with more miles! I'm gonna put another C-Note on my girl tomorrow I'm hoping. Have fun!

Comment

Re: Rolled 18 thou tonight

Originally posted by Jethro

Happy Cinco De Mayo!
      Congrats on turning 18! Ahhhhh... 18,000 miles. Just a baby.
      Brings back memories. My 1000 was soooo cute at 18,000 miles.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: Rolled 18 thou tonight

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE

Happy Cinco De Mayo!
        Congrats on turning 18! Ahhhhh... 18,000 miles. Just a baby.
        Brings back memories. My 1000 was soooo cute at 18,000 miles.
        You had to know I was gonna give you schitt on the 81. I'm sure it's crying and complaining from the neglect!! :P

That's okay, I've left a small gift in another thread. Hopefully this'll step up your efforts to get her back on the road!

Brad tt

Comment

Rock on buddy! I will turn over 25k this weekend

On my 78!!! 8O

LOL!

So it is running right now for you? All the jetting worries are over?

Comment

That's okay, I've left a small gift in another thread. Hopefully this'll step up your efforts to get her back on the road!
            Ooohh, a treasure hunt! Yea!

Don't worry Brad, the old girl is just happy to finally live inside a heated space. She is a paitent girl, and I reassure her that one day her former glory will be restored! Actually I got a line the other day on a stock exhaust and clutch hub. In addition to the carb boots I just got (put em on the 83 so the 81 can have her "experienced" boots back), I am getting closer every day.

So it is running right now for you? All the jetting worries are over?
            I had actually planned on making this a much more detailed post than it is. The real story here is that the bike is running so nice it's shocking.

Power off the line is instant. I have almost no vibration at the bar, and at 4000rpm in 5th gear going 65, it feels like the bike is electric- smooth as glass. Plug reads are perfect, mocha on the fireing tip, a tint of tan on the insulator and all four are identical. The idle is smooth at 900, but I like it closer to 1100. There it stays, without a single problem.

The power is insane, and now that I have finally gotten used to the bike, I really know where the sweet spot is. When I get it up to the 8k tick, the front end is scary light. I was afraid that it was gonna come up last night! Everyone talks about that, but I never believed that I could feel that on a GS. I also never believed that this bike could wheelie, but I sure believe it now. Get that motor spinning and hang on, because it's gonna gooooo!

I didn't realize the rear shocks weren't at the highest preload, so I stepped them up and in combination with my new progressive fork springs up front, the ride is fantastic.

Brakes are just awesome. The new Paragon lines really do make a difference, and I finally got them bled well. It's an effort to not lock up the brakes, but when I get the front and rear pedal/lever pressure just right, it feels like my eyebals are gonna pop out.

The clutch is working perfectly, I can't seem to make it slip even if I try. A slight adjustment on the shifter linkage and my shifts are instant and smooth.

My temp gauge had lost it's dampening ability, so that used to bounce all over the place. I could still tell how hot it was, but it was annoying to see the needle bouncing. Took it out and swapped it with a replacement I had from another set of gauges, and it works perfect. Yesterday was a cool 60F evening, my temp stayed around 160-170 no matter how much I stomped on it.

My existing gauges had a cracked lens over the right idiot lights, but the donor gauges had a weathered case. I had commited to finding yet another gauge pod, so I could replace the cracked one. On a whim, and becasue I had nothing better to do last weekend, I painted the case that had nice lenses, expecting that the paint wouldn't look good enough to keep on there. To my surprise it looks fantastic. Another annoying cosmetic issue cleared up.

This bike is just running so nice, it's hard to believe it's 22 year old technology. It's perfect, and it's my dream bike!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

my old 82 gs1100g has done 92000 k`s, she is blowing a bit of smoke though i believe that to be valve guides, cam noise as expected and a slight vibe that developes after about 45 minutes on the highway sitting on 110 k`s.apart from that it still goes like a cat with turps on its arse and is ridden every day........keep them sevices up peoples and enjoy trouble free ridin. 2 up (with pillion) she still rocks and isn`t shamed by my mates machines...honda sp1, kwaka zzr1200, gixer 600 k2, suzi gt 750, cibbie 250r.old matey on the cibbie is gettin the poos cause his buzzing 18000 shift changes and still not keeping up is wearing thin.we all give him hell too,ha ha ha

Comment

I guess I shouldn't mention my '84 1200 Gold Wing which I've put over 300k miles on after buying it for $287 from State Farm (totaled due to plastic damage!) and has never had the valve covers off...

It's retired now and is about to be replaced with my newly acquired (but not yet rideable) $200 GS1000GL.

This one is my second 1000GL and my 306th bike...

Comment

18k????
                  Is that all.
                  We just turn 37,000 this past weekend at Americade.
                  Time to put some miles on there Geoff 8O 8O
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

My temp gauge had lost it's dampening ability, so that used to bounce all over the place. I could still tell how hot it was, but it was annoying to see the needle bouncing. Took it out and swapped it with a replacement I had from another set of gauges, and it works perfect.
                    This bike is just running so nice, it's hard to believe it's 22 year old technology. It's perfect, and it's my dream bike!
                    Ha! I had the same problem with my '82! I "borrowed" the one from my '83, so everything's back to normal. Just try to find a gauge in Celsius though! :roll:
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                    X