JC Whitney Helmet to Helmet Intercom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JC Whitney Helmet to Helmet Intercom

I ordered this intercom from JC Whitney ($49.99), shipping was about normal for interet orders (4 days, about $57 with shipping). This unit is very small and clips to the belt of one of the riders. I had to modify the helmets of both myself and my rider to make these work. It basically involved cutting a small 1/2" slit to allow for the mic to poke through the cloth surrounding the space for the ear. It comes with two discs of velcro that allow you to stick the earpiece to the inside of your hemet and still be able to remove them. They come with windscreens and the mic boom can be bent for the best position. In practice they are really only useful for low speeds. This could be due to the fact that both I and my riding partner have the 3/4 helmets with visors, but the mic is out in the wind. I think with better helmets there would be better results (full face maybe?) At highway speeds (above 60mph) it works well enough to yell a few comments back and forth, but the sound is distorted and just not that loud. You have to speak slowly and enunciate. The individual volume control for passenger and rider are nice, and they recommend turning down the overall volume to help with wind noise, which does cut down on wind noise while riding, but also makes everything else quieter and that much harder to hear. So they are an ok solution, but really don't work as well as I would like. I saw an ad in the paper for some 10 mile range walkie talkies with the option for hands free vox opperation with an optional headset kit that was about $70 for the pair, so I may look into that. I don't have any good portable music player to test out that functionality, but I would imagine the sound is not great and distorts easily. Basic com only, not good for chatting during long distance rides etc.

Luke

Thanks Luke for the review.

Comment

Thanks Luke. Hmmm..
      I do wish I had coms, My wife and I have full face helmets. I'll consider it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X