Dunlop D404 Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop D404 Tires

The short version: excellent performance, low price, even wear, but not the greatest lifespan.

The long version:

I installed a set of Dunlop D404 tires on my GS850G just before the Brown County rally in May. The mileage was 62,200.

Sizes: 100/90-19 front; 130/90-17 rear

D404s are marketed as Dunlop's "cruiser" tire, whatever that means. They come in a huge array of sizes, and are OEM on many new cruisers. The 404s are much less expensive than premium tires, like Dunlop's 491 series, but are priced a bit above the cheapies like Cheng Shin and Kenda.

At my local cycle shoppe, their tire prices inlcude mounting and are consistently $30 to $35 more than what you could order the same tire for online. Therefore, the total damage was $90 for the rear and $75 for the front with mounting and balancing, which you could order online for about $55/$45.

By way of comparison, at this shop, this is about $30 more than a set of Cheng Shin HiMax tires. I've worn out three or four sets of HiMaxes, and always been happy with the performance and life and extremely happy with the value.

The tread pattern is the same as Dunlop's 491 series tires and their Hardley-Ableson tires, but the 404s are made in Japan by Sumitomo, a respected name in the world of car tires.

During both the Brown County and Asheville rallys (and the trips to and from), grip, stability and balance were EXCELLENT in dry and wet conditions. These tires are on par with Metzelers for grip, and stayed in balance far better. I ride very fast, and the Dunlops were confidence inspiring in the twistys, even in the wet.

Despite the 650 mile trips to and from Asheville and too much curveless riding in northern Indiana where I live and work, wear patterns were completely normal, and actually showed much less squaring off than any other tires I've tried.

I'm at 65,800 now, and both tires are ready for replacement. The rear has less than 2mm of tread left in the center and the front is showing signs of the normal cupping wear you see on a front tire. They are still stable and in balance, although you can definitely tell the tire profile has changed a bit when leaning into a corner. It's nowhere near the sharp-edged flat spot you see on most worn tires, but it's definitely there.

Overall, I am very happy with the performance and value, but I really had hoped to get more than 3,600 miles. However, at $165 mounted, I can't complain at all -- a set of Dunlop 491s runs about $270 at my local shoppe, and a set of Metzleler 88s is about $290 (remember, they're padding by $35/tire to pay for the included mounting/balancing).

Overall, they're a great value, and you get excellent performance a tthe cost of some tread life. In the store, the rubber is noticeably softer than the 491.

Compared to the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire (another tire I've tried recently on this bike), they are equal or better in handling, with comparable tread life. However, the D404s run about $50 - $60 less per set.

I've also tried Metzelers once in the past, and while overall grip seemed great, they quickly went out of balance and started to wear in strange patterns. (The bike's wheels, bearings, frame alignment, steering head etc. were all checked and found to be perfectly fine, and the tires were also checked over and found to be OK.) Ultimately, I had to replace the Metzelers long before the tread was worn out due to the vibration and instability in corners. They definitely won't be getting any more of my business.

I can't stand wasting $70 again for mounting and balancing, so I'm gathering the tools and equipment needed to change my own tires, and I'll order up a new set next week.

Candidates include:
    Michelin Macadam
    Bridgstone BT45
    Dunlop 491

I'll let ya know how it goes...any recommendations?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Excellent review. I just bought a set of these myself, but they're currently in the trunk of my car. I'm going to have to get them mounted for lack of equipment to do it myself. I can save a couple bucks removing the wheels and bringing them in to the dealer for mounting.

Adjusted for the mounting cost you paid, I paid about the same for a 100/90-18F & 110/90-18R.

I don't ride as fast as you, it sounds like, so I'll be curious to see what the lifespan is. Time will tell!

Comment

i have a 404 on the rear of my gk, installed about 2000 miles ago.

it works well. i'll report on its longevity when the time comes.

good report, bwringer...

Comment

Thanks! We need more tire reviews around here.

I now have sitting here in my office a set of Dunlop K491s to replace the 404s.

Basically, they look the same, but they are much more expensive and supposedly last longer and have fantastic grip. I paid $180.92, including UPS ground shipping, from:
        Let Ted Tread and team get you going on the road safely

The cool part is that Tires Unlimited is in Dayton, OH, (not far from my office in Indianapolis) and they actually have tires in stock, so I ordered Monday and got the tires Tuesday. A lot of the cheap tire sites you find are just resellers with a catalog. I prefer to do business with people with inventory. Also, the tires are quite fresh -- the ones down at the local shoppe have been there quite a while. I prefer this year's tires, thank you.

I was thinking about the Bridgestone BattleAxe BT45s, but the other day I realized that I'm much more willing to ride in the rain and to blast down gravel and dirt roads than most. In these conditions, I've found that a tire with actual tread blocks works much better than a near-slick like the BT45.

Dunlop D491s are universally well-regarded, but I'll post a review anyway after I've had 'em a while.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm considering buying a pair of D404's this winter. Has anybody else had experience with them? Any comments would be appreciated.

Comment

Vaguely related...
            I ordered a replacement for the Dunlop K627 on the back of mine today after about 4000 miles, but that was primarily due to my failure to keep it properly inflated. The replacement is a Bridgestone S11R, a dual compound that was $57 from MAW (significantly higher from all other sources I checked). I'll post more once I receive it and get it mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
              Vaguely related...
              I ordered a replacement for the Dunlop K627 on the back of mine today after about 4000 miles, but that was primarily due to my failure to keep it properly inflated. The replacement is a Bridgestone S11R, a dual compound that was $57 from MAW (significantly higher from all other sources I checked). I'll post more once I receive it and get it mounted.
              I'd like to hear about those myself, I was considering S11's too.

Comment

I'll post as soon as I can. Between being extremely busy and amazingly bad weather for December in VA, I haven't been in a huge hurry to switch it just yet. Next week is supposed to be warmer, once exams are over I'll get it taken care of.

Comment

I am on my second rear D404. The front should just about last out 2 rears by my estimation.

I got about 7000 miles on the first rear, ... which included one smokey 3rd gear burnout. I probably should have changed the tire somewhere around 6000, it was looking pretty square by 7000.

No problems that I could see, seemed good in the wet, but I am new to riding, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Comment

I put Avon AM18 Super Venom tires on both ends of my '78 GS750 about 2500 miles ago after reading a review and recommendation in the British Classic Motorcycles magazine. The tires are great. They feel real solid, significantly reduce wander in rain grooves and show no noticable signs of wear yet.

Comment

I have D404's on mine too. I like 'em so far. (400 miles)
                      Btw, I pinched the tube instaling rear, so I drilled out the valve stem hole and put a screw on type for a (car) mag. So now they really are tubeless!Worked great.

Comment

I'd be so freakin' happy to find a rear tire I get more than 3000 miles out of. My ME55 wore down to slick in just about 2200 miles.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have D404's on one of my bikes - I think the feel of them. I had Michelins on previously and they always seemed skitish to me - I never liked the feel under cornering - but the D404's seem to be better planted in the corners. I don't have enough miles on them yet to guess the mileage - probably over 4,000 miles for the rear though - the front doesn't look very worn after 1500 miles

Comment

We use the D404's when putting new tires on a bike we are readying to sell. Good, inexpensive tires. Not rated for very high speed (just H rated), but stable a most sane speeds (once the tire is worn in). I can't speak to the tire wear though.

Comment

I just ordered a set of d404's. I'll give a review sometime next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X