H4 headlight upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H4 headlight upgrade

I am interested in updating my blown sealed headlight for the H4 replacement from cyclerecycle (cost $30) or from JC Whitney ($17) on my 82 550L with 7" headlight. Does anybody know the difference between these two and what would be invovled with the change and which one would work better? Does the exisiting bulb connector plug right into one of these conversion kits? If not is it as simply as cuting the wires and attaching them to the new connector that comes in the kit? Do these conversion kits slide into the existing housing just like the sealed beam only they have replaceable bulbs and can be upgraded to the Silverstar? Thank you.
    Jason

everything would plug right in, and the only difference is the H4 has a replaceable bulb. I dunno about the jcwhitney, but the crc2 headlight is really nice. I like it

Comment

Spots has it about right.

You can simply interchange a new H-4-type headlight unit for the sealed beam, but be certain of two things:

1=the new unit MUST be intended for motorcycle use,

2-you MAY need a connector change. The manufacturer usually puts such devices into their intallation kits.

If in doubt, ASK the manufacturer or here on this form.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

No connector change necessary ... the H-4/9003 bulb utilizes the standard connection.

The only time I noted the need to change the connector was when I did an H-4 conversion on my Vetter fairing, and even then the only reason the connector needed changing was because the Vetter connector was about twice the normal depth, and didn't allow the bulb and lens to seat properly ... so I swapped it with the shorter connector that was already on the motorcycle = problem solved.

While you're changing over to H-4, make the bulb upgrade to a Sylvania Silverstar bulb. The difference in brightness and clarity over the stock halogen bulb is even more impressive than the improvement you're going to see by ditching the old sealed beam unit and going with the H-4 housing!!

Enjoy,
        Steve 8)

Comment

I cheaped out on the silverstars and bought some super GE bulbs (they were like half the price of the silverstars, and came in a cool box) (oh, and they were brighter too) and it was about 5x brighter than the stock 6 7/8" sealed beam headlight. like night and day (literally)

Comment

So, did anyone buy the JC Whitney? I was considering buying their 8" rectangular version to replace my sealed beam, but I was concerned that it might not be a quality piece.

Comment

If you want a really good light watch Ebay for the 8" round GS unit. It came on the unfaired 1150, some 1100 models, and the unfaired '85 700. It may have come on a few other models but I know it came on the ones I listed. One Yamaha used the same 8" Stanley unit as well. Even with just a standard H4 bulb they put out great light. Add a Silverstar or other high output bulb and the high beam will blind even you when light bounces off of highway signs.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. Since the CRC light is known to be good, I think I will go that way and also get the silverstar at the same time.
                Jason

Comment

So the only thing I would need for this is the '7 inch Halogen with removable bulb' from CRC's site? Is there a better bulb option than the one they include or a better source? Also, if I wanted to go to the 8" light, does anybody know where you can get the pieces to do an H4 conversion for it at a reasonable cost?

Edit... Just realized that the 8" is already an H4 system. Unfortunately, it's no longer available as a set and must be bought piece by piece (about $205). For that price I think I'll stick with the 7" option unless somebody knows a source for a used 8" system.

Comment

Hmm... I can at least get all the parts I need (about $155 including nuts and bolts, etc) from CrotchRocket.com, assuming I were willing to deal with the pain of waiting for them to actually ship the parts as long as everybody else has when dealing with them.

Does anybody know where you can order part 35100-45930-999? I've checked CrotchRocket, Ron Ayers, PowerSportsPro, and BikeBandit - all of them show it discontinued. If anybody knows who might still have it, that's far and away the cheapest way to get the whole system.

Comment

I have a Hella large rectangular replacement for my Kawasaki. It is not mounted yet as the Kaw uses a different mounting system and I need to make an adapter. I have run wires to it and I like the pattern it throws on the road.

I have not tried the Silverstars, but I do have some experience with some of the "Plasma White" bulbs. In my opinion, they are junk. The color is so blue that very little of it is useable. So far, I prefer a standard-color 80/100 watt bulb, if the charging system can handle it.

I don't know anything about the cheaper light available from JC Whitney.

I have purchased MANY things from Whitney through the years and have found a wide variety of quality. Since they have started putting the manufacturer's name in the catalog listing, it is easier to buy name-brand (quality) merchandise.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A bunch of us Chicagoland GSr's run the Silverstars ... they are worth EVERY penny ... the difference is amazing!! The only downside to the Silverstars is that they don't always last as long as a standard halogen. Still, for the added safety and confidence they add I'll NEVER go back to a regular bulb.

Regards,
                        Steve 8)

Comment

Is the 8" H4 significantly brigher than the 7"? If the 7" is plenty, I'll just spend the $30 on that...

OK, for the JC Whitney price I'll forget the 8" option and just grab the 7" conversion unit. For the bulb, should I use the Silverstar H4ST or 9003ST (both 55/60 watt) or a standard 80/100 watt? Is the Silverstar brighter even at the lower wattage?

Comment

A lot of people frown on using the higher wattage bulbs because our charging systems are so "iffy" to begin with. Why stress the charging system with a bulb that won't necessarily make as much difference as the Silverstars will at lower wattage?

The Silverstars provide a much "whiter" (and brighter) light than comparable bulbs, so while I have no personal experience with the higher wattage bulbs I'd be inclined to guess that the Silverstars are similar (if not better) in performance ... and probably easier on the eyes (because of the whiter color).

As for which Silverstar to use, I have the 9003 on my bike, and I bought a pair at Walmart for around $36 bucks. That's a real savings compared to buying them individually somewhere else, and I believe they're identical to the "H4ST." Some people believe that the H4ST packaged bulbs are heavier duty than the 9003, but so far I haven't noticed any difference in durability between them ... mine hasn't blown yet, and I'm on season two since I installed the first one. In fact, the only Silverstars I've had longevity problems with are H7's that I'm running in my wife's SUV.

Hope this is helpful!
                            Steve 8)

*edited for a typo

Comment

Oh, and the 8" light is VERY sweet, but I'm doing just fine with my 7"...

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X