Pirelli Sport Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirelli Sport Demon

Thought I'd post my review after finally wearing this tire out.

LOVE IT. Not 1 hint of a slip on dry or wet pavement. Trust me, I've been on plenty of wet pavement.

This tire has stuck like glue. I don't have a total mileage right now, but I'm pushing 9k. It IS bald with hardly any signs of tread left. Been meaning to order a new one. Just ordered a new one today.

Now, I've come to the conclusion with tire wear that the bigger bore bikes are harder on tires. Earl (earlfor) swears off on this tire. He had lots of trouble with his. He also eats tires in about 2,500 miles.

So, for my 750 - it's my tire of choice.

Also, my local dealer gets it for me for $90. Only $5 bucks more than Ron Ayers.

On another note: I also have the Sport Demon on the front and the tracking is unbelievable. With Seams and lines in the road, I roll right over them with out any hint of a wobble or anything. These tires are awesome on my bike. 8)

I'll add to Dave's assesment of the SD's. I've got just over 5000 miles on them, and the rear has finally lost the definition of the center tread. Granted 75% of the miles on these tires have been strictly flat/city driving, they have been great. I can't really comment too much on the wet traction, mainly because we've been experiencing a drought in this area. What I did notice, however, was when the tread on the rear reached the indicator point that is supposed to tell you it's time to replace the tire, I was out during a light rain. At any time I gave a lot of throttle, the rear would break loose. But dry traction is still very good.

I'll be waiting until spring to replace the rear, but the front should have atleast another season to it.

Brad tt

Comment

I'll give 'em a shot next year. I'm with Earl, 3000 miles on a rear tire and I'm pleased as punch. My Metzler ME55 lasted about 2000 miles.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Checked the mileage last night. 9,800. Yes it's bald in the center, but not to the point of cords showing thru. There's actually a "Hint" of a tread in a couple spots.
        I'm sure most people replace them befort they are that far gone, but heck - it was still sticking like glue. Even in the rain. 8)

Comment

I think I was one of the first on the GSR to use the Sport Demon and I have praised it ever since. Several other hard riding Midwest riders (Who are the BEST!) use them and like them too. Earl is the only person I've heard negative comments from. Tire feel and performance are different on different bikes and different riding styles. Plus it's all about confidence. If you don't have confidence in your tires you won't be a confident rider, period. You need to believe in your mind that the tires are going to stick when you run it into a corner hard. If not you will be tentative and that is when bad things happen.................

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
            Checked the mileage last night. 9,800. Yes it's bald in the center, but not to the point of cords showing thru. There's actually a "Hint" of a tread in a couple spots.
            I'm sure most people replace them befort they are that far gone, but heck - it was still sticking like glue. Even in the rain. 8)
            Dave, stay out of puddles with that bald tire. The purpose of tread is to channel off water. In standing water it has no place to go. A slick tire isn't a problem on dry pavement; they race on slicks....but not in the wet.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
              Dave, stay out of puddles with that bald tire. The purpose of tread is to channel off water. In standing water it has no place to go. A slick tire isn't a problem on dry pavement; they race on slicks....but not in the wet.
              Thanks Don, I realize that. That is why I've not ridden this week. New tire should be in today (fingers crossed).
              Actually I guess I wasn't totally honest. On Monday night on my way home from work I had to make a quick stop and the rear felt "Squirmy". That's the very first time with this tire. That was the sign I needed to park her til I got new rubber. Plus I realized that I may have pushed the tread wear a bit. :roll:

Thanks for the advice Don, but already ahead of ya. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                Thanks Don, I realize that. That is why I've not ridden this week. New tire should be in today (fingers crossed).
                Actually I guess I wasn't totally honest. On Monday night on my way home from work I had to make a quick stop and the rear felt "Squirmy". That's the very first time with this tire. That was the sign I needed to park her til I got new rubber. Plus I realized that I may have pushed the tread wear a bit. :roll:

Thanks for the advice Don, but already ahead of ya. 8)

Bahhh! Don't be a wimp Dave, get your monies worth out of that tire! :twisted:

Comment

Doing a few burnouts there Mark? 8O lol.

Comment

:mrgreen:

Teenage testosterone buddy :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

:mrgreen:

Teenage testosterone buddy :roll:
                      Never runs dry does it? :twisted:

Comment

I really like these tires!

I took off my brand new Spitfires and put on the Sport Demons.
                        Best thing I ever did. These tires stick and track like tires are suppose too. Especially at high speed. My Spitfires were always twitchy to me.

I had an emergency where a guy pulled across the road and I had to slam on my brakes so hard (10ft to collision) that the bike slid sideways. But those Pirelli tires saved my life. Grabbed and gave me excellant control. Even sideways I had total control never dropping the bike. I was half tempted to get off the bike and kiss my tire! Ha Ha.
                        After these tires wear out (I've got only 2,000 miles on them now) I'm going to order another...no question.

Comment

I went from Metzeler Lasers (now called Lasertec) to these Pirelli Sport Demon's on my old 550. I had a lot of confidence in the Metzeler's and tried to have the same in the Pirelli's, but I felt the Metzeler's were more sticky in comparison. I really never slid in the Pirelli's, but I didn't like the handling as much. Perhaps I rode faster with them...I'm not sure, but I'd spend the extra $20 for the Metzeler's my next time around.

~Adam

Comment

I've never riden on Lazertec

I don't know about Lazertec tires although I did look at them before deciding to buy the Pirelli's. The Pirelli's have a more up-to-date design/technology and especially the look is more modern than the Lazertec. I'd like the opportunity to ride someones GS1100E with those tires on it but I never see my bike here in Los Angeles let alone my bike with Lazertec tires. Maybe if I can ride to the big GS meeting back east this year I'll get that opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                            X