Gel pads for the seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gel pads for the seat

I spent about $90.00 on one of those gel pads that you attach to your top part of the seat to see if I could accumulate more miles before the bottom end went dead. It sits you up higher as you really can't sink into it, as you accelerate it allows you to roll backwards and as you brake it allows you to roll forward. If this wasnt bad enough, it doesn't make the ride any more comfortable anyway. Ive only used it twice and to be honest, I wouldn't go back and buy it again at any price. I probably won't ever use it again and should have spent the money on something else. My advice is save your money for something else. Anyone want one for cheap? I'd advise against it.........

The best sitting I have ever done on a motorcycle is the stock GS G model seat. It is wide and flat and has good foam. I can slide around and shift positions over the miles. I went crazy and got a custom built Sargent seat that looks real purty, but numbs my butt soon into a trip. Also Bridget's Nighthawk has a stock seat that feels like vinyl covered pine.

I have no ass. My butt consists of skin covered bone on one side and skin covered titanium on the other. The gel pad worked o.k. for me, but just o.k., better than not having it. I actually ended up using it in my office chair where it worked best.

What really does work as far as pads is the Airhawk cushion. Bridget and I both agree. It is marketed by a company that makes medical bed cushions. The problem is they must have a very good patent because the thing is pricey, around $170-180 (they have different models). I got mine at the cheapest price I have seen, $150.00.

This website is for sale! mc-accessories.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mc-accessories.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

If you get one you have to learn to put less air in it than you think it needs, a lot less. That's just the way it works.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Don,
      I agreed the stock Suzuki seats are very comfortable.
      The seat on the 1000S is very comfy.
      I did have it re-foamed about 2 years ago from a local guy.
      He mainly does custom car interiors. I spent about $125 on triple density foam. One of the best investments ever. he kept it stock looking with the slight rise for the passenger. Sharon has spent about 300 miles on the back, in one day with no complaints.

Now the stock seat on the 1100E, that's a piece of junk.
      My testicles end up getting crushed against the section that rides up on the tank. This seat is next to the upholstery guy.
      maybe he can form fit a pocket for the "boys" to rest in/on.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Back in 1980 I bought from JC Whitney a seat cushion which you filled with air and it actually was pretty descent except it tended to move on a hard brake. I used it on a vacation the year I went from here to Colo. springs, then 3 days later back again on a new GS550E. I almost bought another one but I figured the gel pad would be better, WRONG. I'm 5 11 and 250# so a lot of weight is concentrated on my back side. In 80 and 81 when my 550e and my 850g were new my butt went dead by about 100 miles then it was more chore than fun for the rest of the day. I'll take a look the Airhawk.
        I bought a memory foam pillow for bed and although it took 2 days to get used to it I would never go back to the old style, and have been thinking about having my seat redone with that stuff but I'm half afraid to let anybody touch it for fear of it getting ruined.

Comment

Everyone at the 2005 North Carolina GS Rally laughed at my ratty-looking Allyn Air Seat.

It's cheap ($27 for the single versiojn) and its way ugly, but to a butt, it's a beautiful sight on a long ride.

Here's where you can still get 'em, I think:

Here's mine in all its hideousity:

After seven hard years and innumerable cat claw incidents, my beloved air seat finally gasped its last this fall. These things are made from thick, unbelievably tough vinyl, but the glue on my many early repairs was finally starting to fail.

Not the seat's fault -- my fault for not finding a way to keep the furshlugginer cat out of the garage. Kitty liked to rest on the air seat, then dig in with her hind claws when startled...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Alternately, there is always the very inexpensive solution.....

Comment

Originally posted by mach
              Alternately, there is always the very inexpensive solution.....

I've heard that mentioned but don't know exactly what it does and how it could help unless it numbs your butt?

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
                I've heard that mentioned but don't know exactly what it does and how it could help unless it numbs your butt?
                I?ve never tried the stuff, just seen it in the mags?.
                Butt numbing? I doubt it? Probably just a talcum like substance which reduces friction?

The down side is on those particularly hot & sweaty days, you just end up with little loafs of dough in your under carriage?.. 8O

Comment

Gel pads

I agree; I bought one to try to ease the agony on those 500+ mile days, but it shifts all around even when cinched down as tight as it will cinch. I've thought of getting another GS 750 seat, and having the foam in the front cut down enough to install the gel-insert as part of the seat, but I've procrastinated as I'm not sure if it would even be an improvement over my stock seat, which is already pretty good, and in nice shape. The other factor to consider with gel is that it retains heat/cold, so it stays hot if it has been sitting in the sun in the summer, or the cold if stored outside in the winter. Seems like either is not going to increase comfort levels. Has anyone tried what I'm considering, and if so, how did it work out?
                  1979 GS 1000

Comment

jknappsax> I've thought of getting another GS 750 seat, and having the foam in the front cut down enough to install the gel-insert as part of the seat
                    I have also contemplated this route?
                    Another consideration is memory foam.
                    My GS850GL seat starts feeling about as comfortable as a church pew after about 4 hours?.

The seat is in need of a new cover anyway, so if I have the time before riding season starts here in the nor?east, I just might try one of these?.

Comment

I have a solution for you guys who are having trouble with the pad sliding around. Go to a Dollar Store and buy one of the little rolls or rubberized mesh that is usually used for shelfs or silverware drawers. It will be named something like "Grip-It" or "Grip-Rite" or some such.

Cut a little piece and put it between the seat and pad. The pad will NOT move. I don't even use the straps on mine. If the prolem is you sliding, put a piece on top of the pad. It is also good for your passenger to sit on without a pad. It will keep them from sliding back and forth without having to tense up their arms and legs. It will make for a much more enjoyable ride for them.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                      X