What kind of Helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of Helmet?

I last bought a helmet in 1980 when the best in the market were Bell helmets. I am in need of two new ones, what are recommendations?

Living in an often very cold and very hot climate with a rather loud bike, I would like good ventilation (when needed) and some decent sound protection. And I want a BLACK one!

I just picked up a Z1r ZRP1 helmet...comfortable as hell.

Comment

Buy one that fits well... I think that's the top priority, lots of good brands out there, but they'll fit differently. I bought a nice Nolan online that just didn't fit. I found that the HJC Cl-14 fits me very well, but that the HJC Cl-15 didn't. High end brands like Shoei, Soumy, and Arai might offer more features but won't necessarily offer better protection. AGV, HJC, and Nolan all make nice lids... I'm happy with the HJC Cl-14, and I'm glad I took the time to try on helmets in person rather than ordering another one online and guessing again.

I'm sure somebody else will point you towards the article that suggests the Snell might not be all that it's cracked up to be, but I don't have the link handy.

Comment

I'm very happy with my HJC Symax flip up full face helmet. I had a problem at the start with the visor opening when I did a "head check" but I found that it wasn't "in the groove" on one side. A quick reinstall took care of it.

I don't know about noise...I always right with earplugs (What can I say, the Ramones played across the street like 14 times... gotta protect the hearing I've got left) other than a short run to the gas station or something so its always quiet to me.

I've ridden several 450 mile days at 50-85mph and hit 110 and the hemlet always felt very stable to me...no buffeting I could notice. Good ventilation but I haven't ridden in the heat with it et....it felt "good" when I left one vent open in 35degree weather last November!

I think the most important thing is fit. I've heard that HJC helmets fit "Shoei heads" and Brand C fits "Brand D Heads" so shop around for fit first and then brand/price.

My $.20 (inflation)
        /\/\ac

Comment

I'll cast my vote in for HJC Symax as well!
          It's extremely comfortable, light, stable at high speeds and you can drink coffee & eat doughnuts without removing it!! I found them to run smaller than what the size chart suggested for me. The chart recommended a Large, but I found it to be too snug and went XL. I suggest trying a few on first. I found a place that sold them local, went in for a test fit and then ordered it for about $100 less online….

Comment

I have both a Nolan flip-face and a flip-face HJC Symax. The Nolan is mine and the Symax is my wife's (but we wear the same size, so I've worn both).

I've heard that the Nolan is a safer lid than the HJC, and a quieter one, but the HJC seems more comfortable to me, and I honestly can't compare the noise level differences because I haven't worn the HJC out on the highway where the difference would be most noticeable.

I'd recommend either one ... however I CAN say that Nolan's customer suppport is EXCELLENT! Had an issue with the latching mechanism, and they rebuilt the entire flip mechanism in less than half an hour while I waited. I guess it's a plus to live near the repair facility!! The newest model supposedly solves the issue that caused mine to be troublesome...

Regards,

Comment

Another vote for HJC lids if they fit your head.

Some great deals at NewEnough if you're certain of your size:

Icon helmets are made by HJC, but I don't know if they fit the same. As others have remarked, different HJC models may fit slightly differently.

For your first helmet in a while, I would highly recommend that you visit and buy from a local high-volume dealer that will let you try on a variety. Try not to get a lid that's been sitting on a shelf being crammed on everyone's greasy infested head for three years. The manufacture date is usually on a sticker attached to the hard EPS foam under the comfort liner -- boxes get switched around, so don't go by that.

As many others have said, helmets are pretty equal in terms of protection these days, so buy on the basis of comfort -- get something you're going to be happy to wear. Helmets have improved dramatically just in the last three years.

I also highly recommend using ear plugs. They save your hearing, plus they reduce distractions and mental fatigue greatly, and you can still hear your bike's engine. Even the quietest helmets let through too much wind noise at highway speeds.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Let me elaborate on my helmet size expereince...(all full face)
                I have a big noggin. I wear a XXL HJC CL-14 which I find has good volume for my bulbous head but is a tad snug in the cheeks (there are smaller cheek pads available which are on my list).

the HJC CL-15 in XXL was way too tight.
                Icons are made by HJC and my understanding is that they tend to run on the small side (XXL Mainframe did not fit me).
                The problem with my Nolan (also an XXL) is that it's too shallow for me... that is the chin gaurd doesn't really cover my chin and the bottom of the helmet doesn't really cover my jaw, plus it's a bit tight in the temples.
                My old helmet was a GMAX and I found that the XXL fit me pretty well, but after about six months of use I found the venting options to be too limited and that the lining started coming out (I've heard that they've improved their quality lately).

Comment

Been using the HJC Symax for almost 4 years now and love it.

Comment

I'd like to know what brand/model has the BEST venting as Texas wants to cook my brain and I've only ridden in 101F so far and this summer will be worse.

Comment

Just bought a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet. Nice quality, good fit , and a TON of vents on it. Hasn't been real warm here in Minnesota, so time will tell. But it does flow a lot of air thru. Price was right at 199. A little more than HJC and others, but their fit was terrible on my big head!

Dan

Comment

I generally use either HJC or KBC helmets. I find both to be comfortable and sturdy.

When looking at a new helmet, I always check for both DOT and Snell certification. A Snell certified helmet is much better quality than just DOT.

Comment

As far as heat, the color of the helmet makes a big difference. Black or dark colored helmets will absorb heat from the sun and boil your brain much faster than white, light silver, or yellow.

Ventilation systems really don't do a whole lot, even on higher-end helmets like Arai. Some are better than others, but the end differences are minor.

A good feature to look for is a visor ratchet that will hold the visor open just a smidgen at speed to let in some air. It's a great help on hot days, and helps defog the shield on cold days. Again, most recent helmet models are fairly equal in this regard, but the ratchet mechanism is smoother and more durable in higher-end lids.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                            As far as heat, the color of the helmet makes a big difference. Black or dark colored helmets will absorb heat from the sun and boil your brain much faster than white, light silver, or yellow.

Ventilation systems really don't do a whole lot, even on higher-end helmets like Arai. Some are better than others, but the end differences are minor.

A good feature to look for is a visor ratchet that will hold the visor open just a smidgen at speed to let in some air. It's a great help on hot days, and helps defog the shield on cold days. Again, most recent helmet models are fairly equal in this regard, but the ratchet mechanism is smoother and more durable in higher-end lids.
                            That and the fact that KBC helmets were only made for "normal" shaped heads right Brian?

Comment

Working...
                            X