Dunlop 404 and Dunlop K491 Elite Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop 404 and Dunlop K491 Elite Tires

It just so happens that today I ran across a little note to myself on my work computer regarding the two tire changes I did last summer. I had completely forgotten that I wrote this info down, but there it was in a little-used stickies file.

I installed Dunlop 404s in late May 2005, just before the Brown County GS rally at 62,200 miles. A few weeks later, after the North Carolina GS rally, they were totally roached after 2,700 miles, and were replaced with Dunlop K491 Elites the first week of July at 64,900 miles. They had fantastic grip in all weather, but didn't last too long.

It's now April 26, 2006, and the bike just turned 72,000 miles today. Here's a photo I just took a minute ago of the rear tire on my GS850G after 7,000 wild and wooly miles:

You can tell they have some miles and wear, but the profile is still nice and round, with plenty of tread depth left. Those dang tire nubbins at the edges are battered and bruised, but I haven't managed to quite wear them all off yet. (Sorry about that -- I live in the middle of Indiana and have to ride an hour just to get to some curves.) No embarrassing chicken strips, anyway.

Basically, I am mightily impressed by the Dunlop 491s. The bike and I are both rather heavy and we ride very fast. 491s have a much heavier carcass and don't have quite the supple "running shoe" feel of the 404s, but they have at least 95%-98% of the grip in all weather. They're more like a pair of good boots -- a bit less feel for the terrain, but a lot more durable and just as much grip.

As far as brands, there's Metzeler, Dunlop, and then everyone else. High-end Metz and Dunlops are a little spendy, but well worth it, especially if you pile on a lot of miles. I had a bad experience years ago with a defective Metzeler, but many here have been quite happy with them.

If you must save pennies, I've also worn out three sets of Cheng Shin HiMax tires and been very happy. I'd say they have at least 85% to 90% of the grip of the Dunlops (no trouble dragging parts or riding in the rain), and I usually got about 6,000 to 8,000 miles out of a set. They're cheap enough that you tend to replace them a little sooner than other tires. They're available in a huge range of sizes, and are often about the only choice for oddball sizes.

If anyone wants to send me a free set of Continental, Avon, Pirelli, or Michelin tires to (a)buse, I'll be happy to wear 'em out and report back -- they are all excellent brands, too, but not as well-known. But when it's my money, I have to go with the sure thing.

Also, much love to http://tiresunlimited.com in Dayton, Ohio -- they have excellent prices and they actually STOCK what they sell. Most other internet tire shops are actually some goober in his Mom's basement acting as a middleman. If you mount your own tires and you're in the midwest, they're the bee's knees -- I'm in Indy, so I get my tires the next day via regular UPS.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Good info man. It's hard to find tires for these bikes that provide long life and stick at the same time. Also that don't flatten out (chicken strip) really bad.

I have always used Dunlops after trying a myriad of others and was surprised when I bought my current GS1000 last April to find that the cheap Cheng Chin Hi-Maxx tires on it actually stick as good as any Dunlop I ever owned. And the rear tire gave me close to 8k miles! I have never seen more than 2 to 3 K out of any of my Dunlops. The last 2.5 to 3k miles on this rear though were pretty well chicken striped up from highway riding and I have to say this is the only tire that ever felt like that once it had a flat spot. I have had others flattened out pretty good but you wouldn't know it to ride on them. The Hi-Maxx feels like your going to fall over every time you lean into a turn until you get onto the side tread once you have the flat spot on it.

Still, for an 8k rear tire that sticks well at 59 bucks a pop I can't complain. I have been using GT501s for a while now and I have been wanting to try a set of 491s next. This was timely Brian, thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2006, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I gotten my Dunlops through tireunlimited.
      Good place to deal with and a great price.
      I would never go away from Dunlops. Tried Contis and didn't last as long.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I have had the 491's on every bike so far, and will continue to put them on the next! I have had excellent mileage and stability with them.
        just my .02

Comment

Thanks, y'all!

I was just checking, and I noticed that the shipping weight for a 130/90-17 Dunlop D404 is 15 pounds, while the shipping weight for an MT/90-17 K491 is 18 pounds. Dang!

That gives you an idea of how much more sturdy the construction of the 491 is -- they are very noticeably thicker and stiffer when mounting the tire (not difficult at all, you just need to use a bit more force), and they definitely have a different riding feel. The heavy-duty construction also explains how they can wear and age more gracefully than other tires.

Has anyone tried the Michelin Macadams? I know the Bridgestone BT45 and the Pirelli Sport Demons are also great tires, but I haven't heard anything about the Michelins. The Michelins on my car are amazing, and I wonder how their bias ply motorcycle tires perform.

And then there are people having great experiences with low-priced Kenda tires, too. There are a lot of great choices out there, and even the low-priced brands are far better than anything they had back in 1983.
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I installed Dunlop 404s in late May 2005, just before the Brown County GS rally at 62,200 miles. A few weeks later, after the North Carolina GS rally, they were totally roached after 2,700 miles,
            Oh great, I just put a pair of D404's on the bike, front and rear. If you got 2700 out of them, I'll be luck to break 1000. No tire ever gives me more than 3000 miles. The ride on the D404's seems nice though, only have 150 miles on them so far.

I'd like to go with the 501's but I'll never run a 140 width tire on the 1100 again. Wear profile is no good.

I've had a K491 before. What are you running up front Brian? An F24 is what I paired it up with.

As far as tires go, as long as they are Dunlop, I'll run 'em. Mezeler are great too, but they last about a two weekends if I'm lucky.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Oh great, I just put a pair of D404's on the bike, front and rear. If you got 2700 out of them, I'll be luck to break 1000. No tire ever gives me more than 3000 miles. The ride on the D404's seems nice though, only have 150 miles on them so far.

I'd like to go with the 501's but I'll never run a 140 width tire on the 1100 again. Wear profile is no good.

I've had a K491 before. What are you running up front Brian? An F24 is what I paired it up with.

As far as tires go, as long as they are Dunlop, I'll run 'em. Mezeler are great too, but they last about a two weekends if I'm lucky.
              Well, at least the D404s are cheap...

To be fair, that 2,700 miles included two GS rallies, which entailed a lot of highway miles in very hot weather with luggage and then banzai attacks on the twisties in Indiana, Tennessee and North Carolina. Those poor abused tires served heroically.

I am using a matching Dunlop K491 on the front. Some people claim they can wear out two rear tires for every front tire, but I don't know how that's possible. Front tires get scalloped and cupped instead of getting the big obvious flat spot in the middle, but they still normally wear out at about the same rate. Maybe it's because I do a lot more hard cornering and braking than most, so my front tires are always trashed at the same time as the rears.
              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
              X