Cortech Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cortech Bags

I thought after using my new Cortech bags on the Maine ride last weekend that I would post a review. We need more product reviews here, I find them very usefull.

My previous system was a different tank bag (more on that later), and one of 3 different size backpacks lashed to the sissy bar on my rack. The tank bag left something to be desired, and the backpack system was a real PITA to mount up. It seemed like a new adventure each time, and was a hassle to access or add anything to the baggage. That and the fact that it looked so Mickey Mouse convinced me that I needed some real luggage. Not to mention the long distance tours I have planned this year.

Anyway, I ended up buying some Cortech bags made by Tour Master. I have seen lost of Tour Master gear, and everyone seems to say good things about it. The bags also looked real nice and unassuming, so I decided to give them a shot. The two bags I have gotten so far are the Super-Mini Tank Bag and the Tailbag. Here they are mounted on the bike:

I'll start with the tank bag. I had a previous tank bag, a Chase Harper model of which I can't remember. It has served me well, but my biggest complaint was that it didn't hold it's shape at all. It was almost like a rucksak with a pull string closure that stuck to the tank with magnets. Everytime I wanted to get in the bag, I had to fold up the whole top of the bag. It did have a tiny front zipper pocket that I could easily access, but it was way to small for even my tiny camera. Additionally, when it was packed with stuff, it flopped around like a Dr. Suess hat. I added a bungee, but it made it even more of a PITA. The Cortech Super-Mini is fairly rigid, I can easily open the bag even when it is completely empty:

The bag is a magnetic type, and comes with a lanyard to wrap around the steering yoke. I tested the holding power of the bag while it is full at 120mph winds (in a wind tunnel, of course) and it stuck like glue. It was windy as all get out on the way to Maine also, no problem. The picture above shows the bag with little to nothing in it. It's pretty small, but I can't stand a big tank bag. I just want to put my wallet, a small spray bottle of windex and cloths, my ciggys, a flashlight, my camera and a small notebook in it. It's the perfect size for those small items.

As you can see, it has the main top pocket, and a smaller sleeve type pocket at the front. I put toll money in there as I forgot my EZPass tag in my old tank bag, it worked well on the Maine Turnpike. That weird rubber patch on the side is so you can run a haedphone wire out through it and still keep it fairly well sealed. The top flap has quite a few nice pockets, convienient for lots of items.

It also comes with this nice rain cover which I was forced to use last Saturday in a short shower. It goes on in seconds with a elastic draw string closure and stayed on even after the road dried out and I started to turn it up a notch. It packs down small and would make a great shower cap.

I paid $59.00 at the local Honda dealer. I'm sure it's cheaper on-line, but I wanted to see these in person, and once I did got that instant gratification gland going. All in all I would rate the bag 5 stars out of 5. I'll update this thread with a report on longterm durability.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

This is the Cortech Tailbag I bought:

They make another line of luggage called the "Sport" bags, more of a sportbike look. I liked them as well, but these seemed to have more bells and whistles, and the tailbag is much bigger. I like to carry some stuff. The bag has a large main pocket that I was able to fit a change of street clothes in, a pair of sneakers and my huge leather jacket in (the jacket weighs about 30 lbs alone). It has two side pockets that I fit my rain gear in one, and toiletries, munchies and misc. item in the other. At no point did I have trouble fitting a 20oz. bottle of water in it.

The rear pocket is where I stored a well equipped tool kit and some other misc. items. The very rear pocket I haven't found a use for yet. It fits on well, with two bungees built into the bottom of the bag with big hooks on either side. People behind me on the ride said it moved only slightly left to right, and it was loaded down. If I was concerned, I could add another bungee, but I am very happy with how it attaches. It takes about 30 seconds to put on and 10 to remove. It would mount just fine without the rack also.

The rain cover fits on much nicer than this pic shows when the bag is loaded and rigid. It also held up in "the wind tunnel" tests.

I paid $89.00 at above mentioned dealer, agian, probably cheaper on-line. I'll give it a 4 out of 5 stars only becasue this company should have done something to convince me I needed it sooner. I don't know how I lived without it on weekend trips before this! Seriously, it's a killer bag.

I plan on getting the matching Cortech Saddlebags that accepts four clips mounted on the bottom of the tailbag. I can pack for a whole weekend in these two bags alone as long as I am in a hotel, but I like to camp with the bike, so I'll need more room for my sleeping bag, pad, bivy sack and stove. Agian, I'll update with durability reports.

Hope this helps someone out if they are considering some soft bike luggage.
    Last edited by Jethro; 05-11-2006, 10:11 PM.
    Currently bikeless
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Geoff.
      I have been mulling over the tailbag and am glad to get an "honest" opinion on it.
      Especially wind tunnel tested:shock: \\/
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

That and it looks like yet another reason to show off those pipes 8-[
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
          That and it looks like yet another reason to show off those pipes 8-[
          You caught me It's all just a clever ploy to brag about my new luggage! I pick up the saddlebags today, but likely won't get to use them for a while.
          Currently bikeless

Comment

Sweet! I like them! It looks so clean and proper on the 83 man

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              People behind me on the ride said it moved only slightly left to right, and it was loaded down. If I was concerned, I could add another bungee, but I am very happy with how it attaches.
              That is important too isn't it! Nothing is more disturbing that following some sap who didn't have his cargo strapped on correctly and it blows off almost killing you! 8-[

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                That is important too isn't it! Nothing is more disturbing that following some sap who didn't have his cargo strapped on correctly and it blows off almost killing you! 8-[
                LOL!! Man those duck boots were huge!
                Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  LOL!! Man those duck boots were huge!

Yeah DUCK!

I still have them, and to date have never used them even once!

Comment

Jethro –

I have a whole set of Cortech stuff. I’m not large tankbag-averse, though, and got the tri-bag. I used the whole set up (huge, double, zip-together, expanding tankbag, tailbag and saddlebags) on a trip to NY/VT a couple years ago. I had everything pretty full and it was very secure on the bike. I did have two problems: 1) Because I don’t have a rack like you, the tailbag was mounted on the passenger seat. Everything was snug and comfortable riding, but getting on and off the bike was a b!tch – trying to throw my ancient leg over the tailbag was rough after 5-600 miles. 2) The standard mounting method for the saddlebags requires rigging something so the tailbag doesn’t rub against the shock. After about 3000 miles, a corner on each saddlebag was worn away (only the outer layer). I still haven’t repaired it or figured a way to keep it off the shock.

The only trips for the past couple years are a couple weekend camping trips in SW WI alone. For this, I only use the tankbags and tailbag. Works great. I can fit a little food, a couple changes of clothes, tennis shoes, a couple books, Coleman stove, sleeping bag, tent (two-man REI backpacker tent), Therma-rest and enough beer to survive a night. The bike handles pretty well loaded but is a little low on stopping power.

Anyway, it’s great stuff.
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

As promised, here is an updated pic with the saddlebags attahced:

Works awesome. Only modification nessecary was to make the turn signals quick releaseable, and rig up some marker lights on the back of each saddlebag. Unfortunately I don't know what to do about when I need rain covers, but the lights just slip into the sleeve that covers the quick release for the upper bag. Maybe I can use a strap over the rain cover and attach the light on that. The light is slipped in and is like a big money clip. Velcro on the buckle inside the sleeve keeps it there. I need to fine tune the wires and have better bullet connectors (this was a mock up), but the stock signals can go back on in 60 seconds apiece.

I could have mounted the whole thing more forward and left the turn signals where they were, actually doesn't really bother me, but as Bert said, the shock might bite it a little. Thankfully the rack holds everything well, I can strap the saddle bags to it and load em up.
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

Doug, you SURE you don't wanna ride to Canada? F the truck man, lets ride!!! I got room for your beer! (whiskey takes up less room).
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Looks good Jethro and I bet you can hold all the stuff you need for a week.
                          1982 GS1000S Katana
                          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Those look great jethro!! Take another picture of the complete bike with them mounted when you have the opportunity, I'd love the see the complete package; Your beautiful E and some slick bags!

Comment

Working...
                            X