Designing my own Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designing my own Rectifier/Regulator

Sort of answering my own question posted earlier.
    Being an EE by profession I did some research and now I think I will undertake designing and building my own Rectifier/Regulator for my GS650GL. Why?....
    1. Seems like an interesting fun project.
    2. I do have the capability (30-yrs electronics design experience and an electronics lab / machineshop here at home).
    3. I would have control over the quality of components used.
    4. I would have control over the electrical ratings of components and thus robustness of the finished device.
    5. I would like some control over the charging rate to the battery.
    6. I would like protection from catastrophic failure.
    7. Some sort of built-in voltage monitor would be a nice extra.
    8. Having the above features would automatically make it a universal fit for bikes having 3-phase, permanent magnet alternator charging systems.
    9. Would be nice to be able to contribute something tangible on this site.

The rectifier, Power control and Heat dissipation stuff is a piece of cake and very straightforward. The control electronics is going to be a little different in terms of sensing, processing and we need to add a status display. The package will probably be a bit larger, mainly because of the robust power components and my preference for larger heatsinks for more efficient heat dissipation, but should pose no mounting problems on the bike.
    Some prelininary circuit mock-up and bench-testing of the sense/control circuit last night proved very encouraging. Will keep you posted on the progress.8-[
    Anything else you would suggest added, while I'm at it?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2006, 10:53 AM.

wow, sounds like quite a project. I hope it works out for you. When I first saw the thread title, I thought to myself "even Suzuki couldn't make one!" but in your case, I think you probably can.

Comment

If you make one and it works, patent it. You will probably have many customers here alone!

Comment

Hi Berk, I'll be watching for your progress. I still have the original on my '78 and it is a little worrysome to me especially after reading some of the problems others have had. I've been using up fuses a little too often and have been told that may be a sign of bad things to come, wiring appears not to be a problem. Thanks for your work on the problem. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley
          Being an EE by profession I did some research and now I think I will undertake designing and building my own Rectifier/Regulator for my GS650GL. Why?....
          1. Seems like an interesting fun project.
          2. I do have the capability (30-yrs electronics design experience and an electronics lab / machineshop here at home).
          3. I would have control over the quality of components used.
          4. I would have control over the electrical ratings of components and thus robustness of the finished device.
          5. I would like some control over the charging rate to the battery.
          6. I would like protection from catastrophic failure.
          7. Some sort of built-in voltage monitor would be a nice extra.
          8. Having the above features would automatically make it a universal fit for bikes having 3-phase, permanent magnet alternator charging systems.
          9. Would be nice to be able to contribute something tangible on this site.

The rectifier, Power control and Heat dissipation stuff is a piece of cake and very straightforward. The control electronics is going to be a little different in terms of sensing, processing and we need to add a status display. The package will probably be a bit larger, mainly because of the robust power components and my preference for larger heatsinks for more efficient heat dissipation, but should pose no mounting problems on the bike.
          Some prelininary circuit mock-up and bench-testing of the sense/control circuit last night proved very encouraging. Will keep you posted on the progress.8-[
          Well, after a brief look a your web site, I must say that you are most certainly (over)qualified for this project. Needless to say, you have the requirements covered very well.

An optional waterproof lighted voltage monitor that was handlebar mounted would be handy. Some, including myself have already added aftermarket voltage gauges because of the high failure rate of the charging system.

Perhaps this is what you had in mind with your item no. 5, but another feature that would set your product apart and possibly make it applicable to a wider market would be a provision to adjust the charging voltage to optimize for flooded or AGM batteries. I believe that AGM batteries benefit from a slightly higher charging voltage, and the ability to adjust the voltage for different battery types would be a first in the marketplace. I am thinking of this capability because I know that advanced electronic battery chargers such as produced by Soneil have this capability. This might not be feasible with a standard Zener diode setup as in the OEM parts, but you can design a scheme to make a voltage adjustment.

It will be very interesting to see what you come up with, and I applaud your taking on this project.

Comment

8-[ Anything else you would suggest added, while I'm at it?
            And a partridge in a pear treeeeee!

\\/

Comment

Be sure and keep us all informed of the progress. I expect you have a large waiting customer list right here on the GSR. I'm all ears. :-)

Earl

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Wow how neat! Very cool project! I too will be watching your progress

Comment

Perhaps you can put together a kit. My cousin manufactures low volume circuit boards. I can ask him to produce a small number and we can purchase the components to put together a kit which someone can assemble. Do you think it would be to compilcated for this?

Comment

A kit would be real simple really, there are only a dozen or so components on the circuit board all low current. The only PITA area is really mechanical, in deciding on an enclosure/heat-sink, hopefully we can get away with something that has bolt holes that would line-up with the original fixture. I will design a PCB tomorrow, so we can get a quote. I will also consider the mechanical stuff for enclosing it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2006, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I will buy one. I heave two spares of questionable quality.

BJ

Comment

Cletus,

I may be able to help out this project locally here in MI. I spent ~20 years here in Automotive as a Product Design/Mfg Engineer. Homebrew CNC rocks!!!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by spots25
                          wow, sounds like quite a project. I hope it works out for you. When I first saw the thread title, I thought to myself "even Suzuki couldn't make one!" but in your case, I think you probably can.
                          Suzuki didn't make them. Never have. Shidengen makes them. Suzuki just seems to order parts that are barely adequate.

*A bunch of good reasons *
                          How are you doing the voltage regulation? This doesn't seem like a good place to use a ziener diode as you want to have an adjustable output voltage. And are you using a packaged rectifier? or are you specing the diodes on your own?

The thing that would really rock my socks, (as I use honda r/r's..) is an ignitor unit. Those things are $150+ from suzuki.

So... with a little resarch on Digikey.. 3phase rectifier. 35 amps.. 36MT20-ND And oh.. a 15v ziener diode to dump excess voltage.. BZG03C15GOSCT-ND *grins* But I know jack about DC voltage regulation.
                          Last edited by Nerobro; 05-30-2006, 08:27 AM.
                          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I am loving this project -- and I want one as soon as you've got it finalized!

By the way, regarding heat sinking ... why not design the unit to use the bike's frame as an additional heat sink? Does the unit need to be electrically isolated from the frame? If so, how about designing an enclosure that incorporates a 12V computer fan as a way of ensuring airflow even when the bike might be sitting in traffic on a hot day?

Keep up the good work, and thanks in advance!!

Comment

OK!.... this project is begining to rock!..... The biking thing extends well beyond mounting the machine and tearing-up some highway, good:-D
                              Answers to your questions:
                              1. Yes, the bike's frame will form part of the heatsink but with the overrated power devices I'm using, heatsink size is not a big issue.
                              2. The unit's case is negative potential and can/should be bonded to the bike's frame.
                              3. As per item one above, the heat dissipation does not pose a problem and I like the idea of no moving parts.... thus, no fan.
                              Cheers, Cletus

Comment

Working...
                              X